Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ellen MacArthur........wtf is that all about?

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2004, 08:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Ellen MacArthur........wtf is that all about?

Am I alone in wishing this lass would either get a proper job, or just go away?

She must have an ego the size of St Pauls cathedral. What is the point? Does anyone REALLY care about all these nonsensical "records" she's got? I mean, any more than they care about how many students can fit in a mini, etc etc yawn?

Alcazar
Old 29 December 2004, 08:09 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will she donate any such monies gained from self promotion to a worthy cause? There are rather a lot right now.
Old 29 December 2004, 08:12 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Doubt it - she'll probably be paying off her debts if recent reports are anything to go by. Fair play to the girl - she's got bigger ***** than most people I know! What's the point? I don't know. What was the point in climbing Everest? It's a challenge - people are motivated by different things. Don't see why we should knock her for trying to be the best at what she does - seems to be the British disease surfacing again.
Old 29 December 2004, 08:19 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I grew up with ellen and she lives literally just around the corner, you have got her tottally wrong.

she has got bigger ***** than anyone else I know, shes also very genuine, and shy believe it or not, I know for a fact she donates her time foc for charity events and such like on a regular basis when shes on land.

shes doing something she loves doing, as for a propper job, shes tests sea going equipment for companys whist out at sea under harsh conditions, and gets paid for it, so you could say she has a job she loves, isnt that something everyone would want?

jamo
Old 29 December 2004, 08:33 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Fair play to her I say
Old 29 December 2004, 08:50 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Spot on jamo, no different to Mr Schumacher other than the wage packet and the fact she has to work more than 2 hours a week.
Old 29 December 2004, 09:01 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Great Gal, you got to admire these adventure type people, easy for couch potatoes I suppose to knock them ...............
I couldnt do it, wish I could though.
Old 29 December 2004, 09:10 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Fair play to her - it's something I know I could never do.

Maybe better to turn your frustration towards the media who like to keep her in the news as much as possible rather than Ellen herself who as jamo says is actually rather shy.

As for Michael Schuamcher working 2 hours a week I shall assume that is just a flippant comment or would you like me to give you a reality check regarding his average working week during an F1 season?

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 29 December 2004, 09:22 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

what she does is incredible,simple as that,so thats 'what its all about',pushing the boundaries
Old 29 December 2004, 09:38 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I've heard similar about Ellen as well (as being someone worthy of praise) - her fathers a bit of dip-stick tho' He used to teach my wife when she was at school... and the story is that he fell out of a tree 'cos he sawed off the branch he was sat on!
Old 29 December 2004, 09:59 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Flippant comment, but I'd still like the reality check please.

As for Michael Schuamcher working 2 hours a week I shall assume that is just a flippant comment or would you like me to give you a reality check regarding his average working week during an F1 season?
Old 29 December 2004, 10:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well, I'm sure she's a very nice girl and all that, even if you do say she's got *****

But all those records..........yawn.............and the relentless seeking for publicity..........yawn, yawn................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nope, she still needs to get a proper job!

Alcazar
Old 29 December 2004, 11:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I reckon that if it was not for brave people who were prepared to achieve something, either by setting records, or by exploring far flung and inhospitable places, the world would be a far poorer place.

There is no doubt that she has got the "Right Stuff". Sailing the Southern Ocean in a yacht by yourself is a pretty hairy experience and she deserves all the praise and our complete backing.

I wonder if those who are so quick to criticise her have got the bottle to really try to achieve something significant in their lives?

Les
Old 29 December 2004, 12:31 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Flippant comment, but I'd still like the reality check please.
OK just because it's Christmas and I'm feeling generous. Apologies to others for the following off topic post.

Before I start I'm not saying that Schuey is the only driver who works this hard, but I know he is one of the hardest working in F1. My source is a friend who is a long time motorsport journalist and knows the F1 Ferrari team very well.

During the season Michael's duties divide into race weekends, fitness training, personal appearances and testing & research.

During the race weekends he is either driving or debriefing and yes the debrief sessions can take 8 hours or more of his day away on top of the driving such are the fine margins the F1 teams are working at.

Fitness training - you need to be exceptionally fit to drive an F1 car and even though Michael is the oldest driver on the grid he is widely accepted as one of if not the fittest out there. Of course this doesn't come without a strict fitness regime and one that takes several hours a day when he is not testing/racing.

Personal Appearances, Interviews etc. - Michael makes many personal appearances a year which may seem like a jolly and probably is for the first few, but I would imagine the total amount of time eaten up by these duties is not inconsiderable.

Testing/Research - Ferrari test more than any other team and Michael tests pretty much as often as the other drivers (his team mate Barrichello and the team's test driver Luca Badoer). They test at their own circuit Fiorano as well as the testing favourites such as Jerez, Barcelona etc. Testing usually involves 4 - 6 days every two weeks during the season with up to 12 hours or more a day either driving or debriefing as well as travel to/from etc.

Then there is the general research, tactics, team spirit etc. Michael spends a lot of time at the factory helping research problems, design strategies and generally keeping everyone working as a team. His presence there is not always required, but he goes as he knows that team morale is important. When the heat is on and Ferrari have a problem it is not uncommon for the factory to work long into the night trying to solve it and often Schumacher will still be there with them into the early hours of the morning.

Then there are the times that Ferrari are testing without him and find themselves struggling. Ross Brawn simply picks up the phone and Michael always agrees to come in and help them.

As you can see it is no accident that he is the top driver in F1 and even though he has undoubtedly one of the best jobs in the world I am sure that even he, on occasion, must find it hard work and I'm sure this mounts up to more than 2 hours a week

Hope that helps

tiggers.
Old 29 December 2004, 03:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but he still needs to get a proper job!

Alcazar
Old 29 December 2004, 04:25 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmmmmm !
Old 29 December 2004, 05:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

sailings a sport jus like an other ( abeit rather pricier) - an your right its pointless an the 'record breaking' is all franlkly bollox. But the rush from helming a 60' down the back o a wave mid ocean takes some beating -i can tell you. But that was a 3 week cuise by comparison with wat this girls doin - i wouldnt mind doin it as a challeng to myself one time .....But she 'puts up' with **** conditons several times a year on her own for a living effectivley.
No way - ill have schumachers job any day o the week thank-you..........
Old 29 December 2004, 07:30 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

If it's publicity seeking overpaid sports people that winds you up then I think you ought to look at 90% of Footballers before having ago at Ellen.

Cheers
Lee
Old 29 December 2004, 08:58 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Cool

Can she not go down to Thomas Cooks and book a cruise,like everyone else.she would enjoy it a lot more !!
Old 29 December 2004, 09:48 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
But all those records..........yawn.............and the relentless seeking for publicity..........yawn, yawn................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Yeah right, that's why she chose sailing - a sport almost completely ignored by her domestic press!

Stop whinging man.
Old 29 December 2004, 10:25 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I've heard similar about Ellen as well (as being someone worthy of praise) - her fathers a bit of dip-stick tho' He used to teach my wife when she was at school... and the story is that he fell out of a tree 'cos he sawed off the branch he was sat on!
yeah must admit hes got a "look" I always thought he looked like einstein when i was younger, I remember being jealous of lewis ( her brother ) when i was younger because their dad made them a 240v go cart it was cool they had like amile of cable attached to a plug in the garage

her mum is weird! very hippyfied or she used to be not seen her for a whilst.

used to call lewis the loafhead because he was clever and had a big loaf funnily enough

ahhh school was cool
Old 29 December 2004, 11:32 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Goes down as a self seeking PITA around these parts (probably like one too....)

Her and Michael Shumaker... All this 'they're really good' stuff is disproved by Rubens Barrichello's performances over the years. Anyone with enough support and backup could achieve what she's doing now.

Synopsis - could/should do better..... like get a job..

UB
Old 29 December 2004, 11:41 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

>Anyone with enough support and backup could achieve what she's doing now.

Getting people to support and back you up isn't easy.
Old 29 December 2004, 11:49 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

I wonder if people were as negative towards Edmund Hilary or Donald Campbell?
Old 29 December 2004, 11:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Goes down as a self seeking PITA around these parts (probably like one too....)

Her and Michael Shumaker... All this 'they're really good' stuff is disproved by Rubens Barrichello's performances over the years. Anyone with enough support and backup could achieve what she's doing now.

Synopsis - could/should do better..... like get a job..

UB
you dont arf speak some twaddle sometimes UB.......
Old 30 December 2004, 01:31 AM
backdoors
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by image doctor
same as George Mallory or Captain Scott, it's a curious British trait. To quote George Bernard Shaw "you chaff and sneer and taunt them for doing the things you daren't do yourself"
Old 30 December 2004, 07:21 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by image doctor
Maybe, maybe not.................but at least they only went ONCE!

Note to Ellen: get a job, girl!

Alcazar