Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private clampers - legitimate?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2004, 12:01 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Private clampers - legitimate?

Where I work we have a shared car park with a shop and a chinese restaurant. We have three official spaces, the shop one and the chinese has a small car park of 3 cars for customers.

Our spaces have poles to stop people parking but they are not always used. We have a sign the says private parking but its mostly ignored.

A chap came into the office today to offer a clamping service. Its been agreed and signs are already going up.

Its a £99 unclamping fee. We have little stickers so they know who is supposed to be there. We have tried to ask people not to park there but some people constantly park there even after being asked not to.

One of the spaces has some damaged tarmac and if people drive too fast and brake hard they rip the sump off the cars. This has happened at least 6 times but no one has complained to us. Hopefully this clamping will stop people wrecking their cars.

Is this completely legitimate? do we have any responsiblity for what happens to these clamped cars?
Old 22 December 2004, 12:08 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there was a program on watchdog or something similar about a cowboy outfit private clamping company, cant remember their name. I am sure there are legal decent ones out there, but as always there are some numpties too.
Old 22 December 2004, 12:17 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I remember watching a programme where the clamper even clamped a hearse with the coffin still in it!! The clamper was hiding behind a wall waiting to put the clamp on. Took only seconds from when the driver out of view of the car.
Old 22 December 2004, 01:33 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Wouldn't it be less hassle to just use the poles?

How often will the clampers visit the site? How do they know whether or not the space is in legitimate use?

Would you not be better off purchasing a clamp yourself and using it in a more discriminatory manner than most private clamping companies? Loss of business and falling out with neighbours is quite a high price to pay.

I hate clampers.
Old 22 December 2004, 01:37 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Time to get those 23" wheels I've been meaning to get......
Old 22 December 2004, 01:42 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Another vote for the clampers are scum point of view. Get your own clamp and cut out these money grubbing scumbags.
Old 22 December 2004, 07:08 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

we get loads of people leaving there car in our valeting and hoover spaces so they can go and have a look at the car supermarket next door and it pisses me off

sum of them just plainly block the ****en exit or entrance route

one bloke was parked on our one way entrance route while i was at the toilet, i came out and went looking for him, politely told him to shift his ****en van as it was blocking our traffic in and he replied with "to be fair theres no customers coming in mate" "cos they cant ****en get in you ****"

i have been toying with the idea of large visible clamping warning signs? see if that makes a diffrence?