Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Accepting a job offer??

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2004, 01:36 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Accepting a job offer??

Hi Guys, need some advice regarding a job offer.

I've been offered a job, which will be my first 'proper' job since finishing uni in the summer so never had to accept a job before.

Firstly the offer came as a letter stating probationary period, suggested start date, hrs of work and salary. Its also says that the offer is subject to satisfactory references.

Do I have to obtain the references or do they, do I reply in writing accepting the offer or is the norm to try and negotiate a package first.

Sorry for being a bit clueless, any help much appreciated though...
Old 18 December 2004, 02:45 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Normally you will agree with whoever you pick that they will be willing to give you a reference. Once you have done that, you basically give the name and contact details of your referees. References, in my experience, are normally a formality but help to backup their decision (which they appear to have already made).

If you are happy with their offer, no need to negotiate. Personally I wouldn't want to push it to early on.....but make sure you are happy with it all. Once you are happy, I've tended to ring them up to give them verbal confirmation and tell them you'll send in a formal acceptance through the post.

Finally, congratulations Now go and have some xmas drinks
Old 18 December 2004, 03:18 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Right cheers, I was just unsure as to whats normal practice when accepting an offer.

Thanks again..
Old 18 December 2004, 03:20 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Congrats
Old 18 December 2004, 03:37 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Following order of activities would work

1) Accept the offer and ask for the contract to be sent (2 copies). Supply appropriate references if not in conflict with your current job, eg, Uni Tutor
2) Send back the signed contract
3) Hand in resignation resignation (if you were moving betweek jobs)
4) Supply further references from the company you've just resigned from if need be, eg, your boss, work colleague

Also, advice for the future, never ever hand in you resignation before you've signed your new contract. Just in case.
Old 18 December 2004, 05:17 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks,

Do I need to actually get references myself and send the company these or do I just give the contact details for references?
Old 18 December 2004, 05:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big a1
Hi Guys, need some advice regarding a job offer.

I've been offered a job, which will be my first 'proper' job since finishing uni in the summer so never had to accept a job before.

Firstly the offer came as a letter stating probationary period, suggested start date, hrs of work and salary. Its also says that the offer is subject to satisfactory references.

Do I have to obtain the references or do they, do I reply in writing accepting the offer or is the norm to try and negotiate a package first.

Sorry for being a bit clueless, any help much appreciated though...
Congratulations on your new job mate.
Firstly, you must have provided referees names when you applied formally.
All professional companies/organisations write to the references, you do not have to obtain them.Established companies write to the referees.Verbal reference is becoming less common as, it doesnt carry much authencity. Its always a good practice to ask referees in advance before you mention on your application whether they would be happy to provide reference for you.Some companies may start you off on probationary period before the referees have got back to them.Many offer you even the probation period after receiving satisfactory references.
In any case, if you like the job,salary, terms and conditions of the contract, you can start on the date they want you to.Remember, they reserve a right not just on the basis of negative reference, but also on your performance to let you go within probationary period and you can leave too if you dont like the job.The notice period fron both parties is comparitively shorter than what you have after completing probationary period.Generally, its two weeks notice within 3-6 months prob. period and a month after being confirmed.
You are within your rights to discuss with them the contract and any other queries you may have, before accepting the job offer.
Good luck
Old 18 December 2004, 05:39 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Congratulations on your new job mate.
Firstly, you must have provided referees names when you applied formally.
All professional companies/organisations write to the references, you do not have to obtain them.Established companies write to the referees.Verbal reference is becoming less common as, it doesnt carry much authencity. Its always a good practice to ask referees in advance before you mention on your application whether they would be happy to provide reference for you.Some companies may start you off on probationary period before the referees have got back to them.Many offer you even the probation period after receiving satisfactory references.
In any case, if you like the job,salary, terms and conditions of the contract, you can start on the date they want you to.Remember, they reserve a right not just on the basis of negative reference, but also on your performance to let you go within probationary period and you can leave too if you dont like the job.The notice period fron both parties is comparitively shorter than what you have after completing probationary period.Generally, its two weeks notice within 3-6 months prob. period and a month after being confirmed.
You are within your rights to discuss with them the contract and any other queries you may have, before accepting the job offer.
Good luck
Thanks, best let my references know then.
Old 18 December 2004, 07:00 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Ok thanks,

Do I need to actually get references myself and send the company these or do I just give the contact details for references?
Just the reference contact details. Your prospective employer will do the contacting. Tell the references that you've nominated them though (ie, ask their permssion)
Old 18 December 2004, 07:06 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Thanks, best let my references know then.
You did ask them first didnt you,if so no need to let them know,lots of firms dont follow them up anyway.

As for accepting,give them a ring,so much better than a letter.