Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So how do I get my parcel? Post office contact details?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2004, 08:08 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Royal Mail? .....Royal muppets more like!

Ok so Royal Mail tried to delvier a parcel yesterday when I was at work so got home to find the "You can collect your parcel from xxx xxx delivery office"

Opening times are 7am till 1pm weekdays and 7am till 12:30pm on Saturdays!! Bearing in mind that the delivery office is 2mins in the car from my house.

With me working saturdays so I cant pick it, they are shut when I start and finish work during the week, so I phone them up to get them to deliver it to works address (10/15mins down the road). converstation goes roughly as follows:

Hi can you delvier it to my works address please, "Sorry that is a different delivery office we cant do that."

Do you deliver on saturday afternoons? "No there are no deliverys on Sat afternoons"

So how am I going to get my parcel? " can your neighbour take delivery?", no becasue she works funny hours and wont be in.

"I can deliver it to a post office", yea but they are closed by the time I finish work. "Oh yea, errrrrrrrr"

Why do you close before most people finish work? "We have had job cuts and no one wants to work the afternoon shift"

"We can deliver it to another address in this area" I dont know anyone else in your area to deliver it to.

So how am I going to get my parcel? "Sorry, I dont know!" and puts phone down.

GREAT! Thanks for that Royal Mail. So I have to now either....

Use my petrol to drive there and back to them during lunch today so having no time to eat anything

or go in work time and loose hours

or take a half day and pick it up whn I am home but loosing afternoon hours

or take time off my saturday hours to go pick it up, again using my petrol.

I get paid by the hour so taking time off to go get it costs me money!

Does anyone know the contact details of the MD of the post office or someone else high up? I am not going to bother using the customer service page on their website cause there is no contact details just a leave your message here style page.

Last edited by Nezz10; 17 December 2004 at 08:49 AM.
Old 17 December 2004, 09:21 AM
King RA
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My post office is the same, 7am to 1pm for collections (says until 2 on the card but there is a nice sign on the door saying they close at 1 now). Why the hell it's not 7 till 7 I don't know as most courier companies are open late.

I've also had the same problem of getting it delivered to work and I've even had stuff sent back to sender after the week because I could not go and collect it.

Thing is I live at the top of some flats and most courier companies just leave it propped outside my door, it's unlikely to get stolen because you can't just walk past my flat, you have to be going there. Post office on the other hand ALWAYS require a signature, and my neighbours funnily enough go to work like me.
Old 17 December 2004, 09:24 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Join the movement and have a rant!
Old 17 December 2004, 09:29 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

ajm trust you, Nezz whereabouts are you mate??
Cheers
Colin
Old 17 December 2004, 09:29 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Bearing in mind that the delivery office is 2mins in the car from my house
so that's 4 mins travelling time, and say 5 mins to show proof of id, and collect the package, so 9 mins total to get your package!

Use my petrol to drive there and back to them during lunch today so having no time to eat anything
what are you eating, a 12 course banquet!

ffs, stop moaning and go get your package! At least think yourself lucky the sender didn't use some obscure courier company, who would happily have left it with your neighbour, who they may not have told you it had arrived

chris.
Old 17 December 2004, 10:00 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Scooby99 - Quedgeley in Glos mate.

cw42 - The delivery office is 2mins from my HOUSE but 10/15mins from my WORK.

"who would happily left it with my neighbour.....", again READ WHAT I TYPED, she works funny hours and would not be there!!

even if she was....

"who they may not have told you it had arrived" ...apart from the fact they would leave a note saying 'we left it with your neighbour at number xx'

A little advise cw42, try reading what people have typed before replyin and looking like a MUPPET!
Old 17 December 2004, 10:07 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

my apoligies nezz, your quite right. but one thing puzzles me, most postman start around 5am in the morning, so the delivery office is usually open then. is there any reason why you cant call in on your way to work to collect the item, outside of the official hours on the card?
I know it says 7am on the card, but from experience, theres always a friendly face to get parcels for chaps like yourself who work "normal" hours.
might be worth a try

chris.
Old 17 December 2004, 10:10 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

hutton_d, thanks for your support, but:
I agree they are feckin useless but nothing's going to change that until they're privatised and they're forced to have real competition
please give examples of why they are useless?
royal mail is the best in the world, full stop.
cheapest too, and I totally agree with competition, but on an equal playing field, which it isn't at the mo'.
chris.
Old 17 December 2004, 10:10 AM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by cw42
my apoligies nezz, your quite right. but one thing puzzles me, most postman start around 5am in the morning, so the delivery office is usually open then. is there any reason why you cant call in on your way to work to collect the item, outside of the official hours on the card?
I know it says 7am on the card, but from experience, theres always a friendly face to get parcels for chaps like yourself who work "normal" hours.
might be worth a try

chris.
Mine is definately shut fast before 7, I know this because I have stood outside at 7 waiting for it to open.
Old 17 December 2004, 10:22 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

My local depot opens til 5:30pm, and the service is always great - I often miss parcels so go there a lot and they are sound.

How important is the parcel? If it was important to me, then I would go during lunch break.
Old 17 December 2004, 10:23 AM
King RA
BANNED

I cannot fault Royal Mail on their service much at all. The only thing I can really fault them on is their 7 till 1 collection, the trouble is because it is such a major thing it really lets em down.
Old 17 December 2004, 10:24 AM
King RA
BANNED

It would take longer than my lunch break to go to the office and back to work.
Old 17 December 2004, 10:28 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Dave - sarnies in the car it is! lol

I am gonna go down in my luchtime to grab it, to be honest I would have preferred it be delivered via a courier at least they will deliver it to my works address or will be open when I can get there. Its just annoying that they close at lunch time. Before they did this I would just pop down after work cause they where open till 7.

I have done temp work in post offices before and so know what goes on behind closed doors so as for best in the world I doubt it but I expect it is the same for any delivery/courier company unfortunalty

cw - do you work for Royal Mail?

Cheers for the views everyone, i am feeling a lot calmer now so rant over
Old 17 December 2004, 10:41 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

nezz10

cw - do you work for Royal Mail?
how did you guess?
hope you get it sorted m8,

chris.
Old 17 December 2004, 11:15 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

I can fault them easy - losing 3 parcels out of 12 over 2 months. Thats a 25% failure rate. By the time you go through all the cr4p to get the insurance it does your head in.
No wonder they get slated.
Alas
Old 17 December 2004, 12:53 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
cheapest too
Dream on.
Old 17 December 2004, 01:12 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nezz10
Scooby99 - Quedgeley in Glos mate.
Lol
Be thankful it is not the gloucester north depot......

utterly utterly useless
As for parcelfarce in quedgeley....... grrrrrrrrr
Old 17 December 2004, 01:52 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
Mine is definately shut fast before 7, I know this because I have stood outside at 7 waiting for it to open.
I am a postman, and as far as I know they all start at 5:00am. I'm sure there is someone around before 7:00. The office where I work is heaving at 7:00.

I'm not going on the defensive, but you should see the amount of incorrectly addressed mail we see. It's not possible to do a detective job on all of it to find out where it's meant to be going. Christmas cards are awful - incorrect road names, incorrect postcodes etc etc.. And then Royal Mail is blamed for letters that don't get through. It's frustrating when there's simply nothing you can do about it.
Old 17 December 2004, 01:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

maybe you should say hi to your neighbours then they could have taken it for you.
Old 17 December 2004, 03:10 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - If you READ WHAT I TYPED you will see that I said that she works funny hours and more than likely wouldnt be there. When Amazon posted me a parcel the other day via DHL she was in and took it for me.
Old 17 December 2004, 03:11 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

...anyway stress over, I have picked it up although I have no idea why they didnt post it through the letter box cause it is exaclty the same size as the last one the company sent me and that made it through the letter box fine!?

Just cost me a gallon of fuel to find that out! Yea thanks Royal Muppets (cw and Butkus excluded)

Last edited by Nezz10; 17 December 2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 17 December 2004, 03:26 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butkus
I'm not going on the defensive, but you should see the amount of incorrectly addressed mail we see. It's not possible to do a detective job on all of it to find out where it's meant to be going.
I got a parcel from someone I know in the US this week. I'd sent her the address, typed in the following format:

House number, Street Name
Area
Town
County (in this case Bedfordshire)
Post Code
UK

All she had to do was copy what I'd sent her, or copy and paste it on to a label to print.

When the parcel arrived the address was written in the format:

House number, Street Name
Area
Town
County
Post Code
LONDON
UK

Not a great deal of detective work required there, admittedly, but I can see where you're coming from.

And what is it with everyone in the US thinking that EVERYWHERE in the UK is in London??!
Old 17 December 2004, 03:52 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

lol
i can beat that
perfectly printed address label from he states with my postcode GL2 on.
Somehow got sent to glasgow and back G12 FIVE times- despite the correct postcode actually being on there!