Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TV Program "The Heist"

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2004, 10:24 PM
SuperAlly
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TV Program "The Heist"

Seems a bit strange to me that it took the guy about 2 minutes to remove a tracker from a "£1million" TVR prototype. You would have thought that they would spend some time trying to hide the black box. I've not used my Trackstar yet (touch wood) but has anyone who has Trackstar fitted never seen their pride any joy again once it has been stolen?
Old 14 December 2004, 10:31 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The thing that got me was the fact that removing the tracker consisted of leaning under the car and pulling!

Most trackers/trackstars are fitted somewhere under dashboard / trim / seats / boots / bonnet (varies from car to car), and would take a few minutes to get to.

In answer to your question, I believe some people have had their car stolen and not recovered; the trackstar may fail to activate, the signal could get shielded by putting the car in a big steel box (standard industrial iso container), or criminals could detect the trackstar - at least once it is emitting a signal - and remove it.

Have you ever had a "test track" done on your car - i.e. do you actually know your trackstar works? Just a thought.
Old 14 December 2004, 10:35 PM
m3matt
Scooby Regular

I had one done on my RB5 - 80mph for 20 minutes, no call. Phoned them and asked what was happening, 'oh, yes, we know where you are' - WHY the hell didn't you ring then!

don't trust em - I've got a couple of ideas for a security system
Old 15 December 2004, 07:34 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Yeah but why did they not use that detects movement of the vehicle or plant 2 devices if the car was worth £1million
Cheers
Colin
Old 15 December 2004, 10:48 AM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

plus they said that they would have to discover that the car was acctually missing for it to be tracked, wouldnt they have the best tracker money could buy for this £1 million car?

Mickey
Old 15 December 2004, 11:13 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

saw this last week and missed this weeks
anyone know when it is repeated>?
Old 15 December 2004, 02:35 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

V E R Y cynical about such devices, how effective they are, how well they are concealed and HOW much they charge for them. It's even an £80 rip off to check if its working and still worth paying your sub on mine!
Old 15 December 2004, 10:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Of course there's no such thing as a "TVR prototype". The "prototypes" are just the early ones they sell to the customers to do their R&D for them
Old 15 December 2004, 10:42 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Colin, Mickey

Most trackers that "detect movement of a vehicle" activate when you start or move a car without using the ignition key etc. The point here is that the car was meant to be moving in the back of a lorry. How would a tracker know whether it's the pukka driver or a crook driving the lorry?

The only way to use the tracker would sensibly be if (a) someone sits there and tracks it the whole time, and flags up the second it goes "off route" - which many people might think is overkill or (b) they activate it if they think it's missing. They picked option (b) There may be an option (c) or (d) I haven't thought of.
Old 15 December 2004, 10:54 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Why would anyone buy a TVR "prototype"? It's guarenteed to break down and where are you gonna get replacement parts?
Old 15 December 2004, 11:23 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe on a car like that i can understand having one fitted, but for an everyday car, if you car gets stolen, its gonna get ragged to death. do you really want it back? mine has no tracker, but a bloody good alarm and immobiliser and is covered by surveilance cameras, if there good enough to get past that lot, then there welcome to it!!
Old 16 December 2004, 08:14 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Seemed to me that this program had picked a pointless object to steal. Of course it's easy to steal - who in their right mind would steal it ? You can hardly sell it can you - bit obvious being the only one of it's kind !!! What are you going to do with it ? So as nobody in their right mind would steal it, why protect it that well. Try the same on £1.0 mill worth of Gold from a truck - then the non violence approach wouldnt have a chance.
Old 16 December 2004, 08:25 AM
System-G
Scooby Newbie

I think the purpose of the series is to test the flaws companies and manufacturers have in their security systems/crime prevention techniques. There will be a lot of misconceptions due to making the program more interesting for TV viewers. I also doubt they will give away information on how a trackers and alarm/security systems work...
Old 16 December 2004, 10:19 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The people in the programme fullfill the stereotyping. The guy with the limp, with that physical limitation, provides the brains of the operation. The the greasy haired, spotty, skinny kid who looks like he's never had a sun tan, the computer/techinical wizkid, the big bearded guy with loads of big thick jewery, the brawn, the big fat slick haired old guy, the god father. It was like a remake of lock stock and two smoking barrels, except that it wasn't funny and about as imaginative as a Jeremy Clarksen's wise cracks.
Old 16 December 2004, 10:24 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by System-G
I also doubt they will give away information on how a trackers and alarm/security systems work...
Mate, let's face it, anyone that has the ability to defeat a Cat 1 alarm doesnt need telling about Trackers! They know what do to that too...
Old 16 December 2004, 11:20 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have tested my tracker twice inadvertently and the response has been very impressive.

First time i was cleaning it with no key in the ignition and got a phone call asking for my codeword and was i near the vehicle

The second time it was on the drive and i got a call out of the blue and couldnt work out why untill i twigged that the wife had just been out to the car and had loaded up the boot with some heavy items again without using the ignition key