ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   TV Program "The Heist" (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/387597-tv-program-the-heist.html)

SuperAlly 14 December 2004 10:24 PM

TV Program "The Heist"

Seems a bit strange to me that it took the guy about 2 minutes to remove a tracker from a "£1million" TVR prototype. You would have thought that they would spend some time trying to hide the black box. I've not used my Trackstar yet (touch wood) but has anyone who has Trackstar fitted never seen their pride any joy again once it has been stolen?

hades 14 December 2004 10:31 PM

The thing that got me was the fact that removing the tracker consisted of leaning under the car and pulling! :eek:

Most trackers/trackstars are fitted somewhere under dashboard / trim / seats / boots / bonnet (varies from car to car), and would take a few minutes to get to.

In answer to your question, I believe some people have had their car stolen and not recovered; the trackstar may fail to activate, the signal could get shielded by putting the car in a big steel box (standard industrial iso container), or criminals could detect the trackstar - at least once it is emitting a signal - and remove it.

Have you ever had a "test track" done on your car - i.e. do you actually know your trackstar works? Just a thought. ;)

m3matt 14 December 2004 10:35 PM

I had one done on my RB5 - 80mph for 20 minutes, no call. Phoned them and asked what was happening, 'oh, yes, we know where you are' - WHY the hell didn't you ring then!

don't trust em - I've got a couple of ideas for a security system ;)

Scoob99 15 December 2004 07:34 AM

Yeah but why did they not use that detects movement of the vehicle or plant 2 devices if the car was worth £1million
Cheers
Colin

MickeyWRX 15 December 2004 10:48 AM

plus they said that they would have to discover that the car was acctually missing for it to be tracked, wouldnt they have the best tracker money could buy for this £1 million car?

Mickey

Freak 15 December 2004 11:13 AM

balls
saw this last week and missed this weeks
anyone know when it is repeated>?

Diesel 15 December 2004 02:35 PM

V E R Y cynical about such devices, how effective they are, how well they are concealed and HOW much they charge for them. It's even an £80 rip off to check if its working and still worth paying your sub on mine!

carl 15 December 2004 10:05 PM

Of course there's no such thing as a "TVR prototype". The "prototypes" are just the early ones they sell to the customers to do their R&D for them ;)

hades 15 December 2004 10:42 PM

Colin, Mickey

Most trackers that "detect movement of a vehicle" activate when you start or move a car without using the ignition key etc. The point here is that the car was meant to be moving in the back of a lorry. How would a tracker know whether it's the pukka driver or a crook driving the lorry?

The only way to use the tracker would sensibly be if (a) someone sits there and tracks it the whole time, and flags up the second it goes "off route" - which many people might think is overkill or (b) they activate it if they think it's missing. They picked option (b) There may be an option (c) or (d) I haven't thought of.

jonc 15 December 2004 10:54 PM

Why would anyone buy a TVR "prototype"? It's guarenteed to break down and where are you gonna get replacement parts?

Jamo 15 December 2004 11:23 PM

maybe on a car like that i can understand having one fitted, but for an everyday car, if you car gets stolen, its gonna get ragged to death. do you really want it back? mine has no tracker, but a bloody good alarm and immobiliser and is covered by surveilance cameras, if there good enough to get past that lot, then there welcome to it!! :D ;)

dtriggs 16 December 2004 08:14 AM

Seemed to me that this program had picked a pointless object to steal. Of course it's easy to steal - who in their right mind would steal it ? You can hardly sell it can you - bit obvious being the only one of it's kind !!! What are you going to do with it ? So as nobody in their right mind would steal it, why protect it that well. Try the same on £1.0 mill worth of Gold from a truck - then the non violence approach wouldnt have a chance.

System-G 16 December 2004 08:25 AM

I think the purpose of the series is to test the flaws companies and manufacturers have in their security systems/crime prevention techniques. There will be a lot of misconceptions due to making the program more interesting for TV viewers. I also doubt they will give away information on how a trackers and alarm/security systems work... :Whatever_

jonc 16 December 2004 10:19 AM

The people in the programme fullfill the stereotyping. The guy with the limp, with that physical limitation, provides the brains of the operation. The the greasy haired, spotty, skinny kid who looks like he's never had a sun tan, the computer/techinical wizkid, the big bearded guy with loads of big thick jewery, the brawn, the big fat slick haired old guy, the god father. It was like a remake of lock stock and two smoking barrels, except that it wasn't funny and about as imaginative as a Jeremy Clarksen's wise cracks.

Diesel 16 December 2004 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by System-G
I also doubt they will give away information on how a trackers and alarm/security systems work... :Whatever_

Mate, let's face it, anyone that has the ability to defeat a Cat 1 alarm doesnt need telling about Trackers! They know what do to that too...

mattstant 16 December 2004 11:20 AM

I have tested my tracker twice inadvertently and the response has been very impressive.

First time i was cleaning it with no key in the ignition and got a phone call asking for my codeword and was i near the vehicle

The second time it was on the drive and i got a call out of the blue and couldnt work out why untill i twigged that the wife had just been out to the car and had loaded up the boot with some heavy items again without using the ignition key