Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

just got a ticket from pc plod

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2004, 09:54 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got a ticket from pc plod

came on at motorway junction boot down 120+ 4 miles later average speed 85 pulled by pc plod who gave me a fixed penelty and said i was travelin at 90-95 no recording device in car just 2 pc plods any one no if i can get off with it he also asked for the type of car i said sti but we no its wrx sti type r any ideas
Old 14 December 2004, 09:58 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by washer
came on at motorway junction boot down 120+ 4 miles later average speed 85 pulled by pc plod who gave me a fixed penelty and said i was travelin at 90-95 .....
Interesting. I (personally) think you should take the fixed penalty and consider yourself lucky after a cough like that
Old 14 December 2004, 10:03 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Yep - it comes down to their opinion against yours. Who's the magistrate going to believe ?
Old 14 December 2004, 10:09 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Yep - it comes down to their opinion against yours. Who's the magistrate going to believe ?
luck like i have to pay up drat
Old 14 December 2004, 10:10 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

2 police officers words against yours? Arrange he following words into a well known phrase: chance no

They should have explained to you how they came to their conclusion of your speed, whether it's by using a measuring device or simply pacing you using their calibrated speedo (assuming it was a traffic car and not a panda).

Personally, however, I think seeing as you know you were caught bang to rights, you should take the fixed penalty and take it as an occupational hazard of a speeder and it pays for all those times you've never been caught
Old 14 December 2004, 10:12 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by washer
came on at motorway junction boot down 120+ 4 miles later average speed 85 pulled by pc plod who gave me a fixed penelty and said i was travelin at 90-95 no recording device in car just 2 pc plods any one no if i can get off with it he also asked for the type of car i said sti but we no its wrx sti type r any ideas
DO THE CRIME
DO THE TIME
Old 14 December 2004, 10:22 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
DO THE CRIME
DO THE TIME
Exactly, if you know you was speeding then its your own fault at being caught, u gotta be prepared to take the good with the bad
Old 14 December 2004, 11:11 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
2 police officers words against yours? Arrange he following words into a well known phrase: chance no

They should have explained to you how they came to their conclusion of your speed, whether it's by using a measuring device or simply pacing you using their calibrated speedo (assuming it was a traffic car and not a panda).

Personally, however, I think seeing as you know you were caught bang to rights, you should take the fixed penalty and take it as an occupational hazard of a speeder and it pays for all those times you've never been caught
i was on my way to b&q to get a blow up santa before they closed the little one was happy 20quid ,80 quid with the ticket but its loverly to see a smilein face
Old 14 December 2004, 11:29 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Exactly, if you know you was speeding then its your own fault at being caught, u gotta be prepared to take the good with the bad
I'm sure it's not Washers fault and that society is to blame. Or perhaps he had a bad experience as a child that scarred him for life. However he won't get a brief free of charge to argue this.
Old 14 December 2004, 11:51 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
I'm sure it's not Washers fault and that society is to blame. Or perhaps he had a bad experience as a child that scarred him for life. However he won't get a brief free of charge to argue this.
the only scare i get is in the scooby
Old 15 December 2004, 09:41 AM
robuk
Scooby Newbie

OK so most people are saying pay it, but why?????

Where's the evidence, as I always believed innocent until proved guilty and I'd like to see the hard evidence in court..... I'd fight it!!!!!!!

If I can get hold of someone I know, who's in the know, I'll tell you what he says

Rob
Old 15 December 2004, 09:45 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robuk
---snip---
...I'd like to see the hard evidence in court..... I'd fight it!!!!!!!
---snip---
Errr in the initial post:

...boot down 120+...
He has admitted to doing 50mph over the speed limit.
Old 15 December 2004, 09:47 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Surely you need evidence???????

A coppers word means nothing when it comes to "speeding" surely??!??!!??!

It may have been Specs mate.
Old 15 December 2004, 09:54 AM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

There's a good website that may be able to help you decide what to do, click on to www.pepipoo.com it's run by someone I know, with the help of various barristers etc and is dedicated to getting justice for motorists.
There's a lot of information on the site but you should be able to find advice relevant to your situation.
Old 15 December 2004, 09:54 AM
Pastor
BANNED

Surely he means 120kph, not MPH?

Never admit guilt, don't take it on the chin if you think you have a good case. I was stopped some time ago by a traffic car on a dual carriageway, I was accused of breaking the speed limit by a significant amount.. I denied this, it went to court and the policeman didn't bother showing up. No adjournment given, case dismissed.
I was supposed to just take it on the chin like a good ******. If you let them get away with it they will. To my mind I wasn't doing anything wrong and the law agreed.
The more people fight their corner the less resources the law will have to rob other motorists.
Old 15 December 2004, 10:11 AM
robuk
Scooby Newbie

spoke to my friend and this is what he came back with

Hi Rob,

In the "letter of the law" then to be done for speeding there have to be two pieces of evidence - one "primary" and one as "corroboration".

The opinion of a Police Officer is generally accepted by the courts as primary evidence, eg a statement by Plod along the lines of "I observed the accused and formed the opinion that he was travelling in excess of the limit" would suffice (note that he needs NO equipment in order to do this).

Then some secondary corroboration is needed. The reading of a calibrated device (speedo, vascar, radar gun) by the same officer is acceptable, if there is a second officer then there is his opinion as well so it becomes pretty watertight.

Amazingly, if a copper stands by a road and says you were speeding, and his mate stood next to him agrees, then this would satisfy the law, even though your speed was never actually measured.

In this case I'd say the scoobie driver is pretty much bang to rights! Indeed, if plod has caught him doing 120 and only nicked him for 90(ish) then it sounds like he's got off pretty lightly with a FPN - 120 would be a ban and a very big fine these days! I guess he was driving pretty sensibly and plod recognised this so let him off lightly. Good job we've still got some left, it would be very different if a camera had caught him!

HTH,
John
Old 15 December 2004, 10:13 AM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Default TAKE THE FIXED PENALTY

Sat in a magistrates court a while ago (in the pubic area) and saw a coppers evidence get torn apart by two exceptionally credible and knowledgeable(sp) witnesses................................

Defendant lost.......

A motorist in a magistrates court............

Kinda like

Captain Hook being tried by 12 Mothers.

Take the FP and count yourself very very very lucky
Old 15 December 2004, 10:19 AM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

I am all for scapping speed cameras (apart from those that are in a legitimate black spot area) but I am also, all for people getting fines if they speed to excess, so that the arguement for speed cameras doesn't have a leg to stand on.

The thing is, I would be sticking up for you if you were doing 80 in a 70 (police officers should use discretion) but you know you were speeding (120+) you were caught, you should feel lucky that you were not banned.

A fixed penalty might bring those speeds down to 100 mph or so... (much safer than 120+).

Just my opinion.
Old 15 December 2004, 10:19 AM
robuk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by OllyK
Errr in the initial post:

He has admitted to doing 50mph over the speed limit.
SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have you never done 50mph over the limit then and told all your mates in the pub about it????

I was seen doing 147mph and I readily admit to it, but where's the proof?????

Rob
Old 15 December 2004, 04:02 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Therein lies your only possible way out....it would be highly unlikely that it would be a panda on the motorway, but even if it was, all they would need to do (preferably straight away) is get themselved clocked by another plod car with VasCar or similar to confirm the accuracy of their own speedo. I know because i've had someone try this in court when i caught him......my advice is pay the FPN and think yourself lucky he didn't clock you over 100mph!!!
Old 15 December 2004, 04:06 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

I guess he was driving pretty sensibly and plod recognised this so let him off lightly.
In what part of the country is entering the motorway at 120+ considered driving sensibly
Old 15 December 2004, 04:30 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been there before.. timed at 101 mph av after I hauled on the brakes when I saw the car on hard shoulder over the top of a hill.
I was offered a FPN instead and took it gladly - I knew what speed I had really been going at and had no wish to challenge it in court (time, cost, stress).
Just accept that you got off lightly and unless it would mean you are banned then take the 3 points & £60 and walk away from it stress free.
Old 15 December 2004, 04:59 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

I'd consider that getting off very lightly and take the points.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:26 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Id count my blessings and take the FP with a smile! You deserve a ban for speeds lke that!! Every time your needle steps over the 80 on a motorway you know you're gambling on worsening odds - you're one lucky lucky plonka!!!
Old 15 December 2004, 11:49 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have you never done 50mph over the limit then and told all your mates in the pub about it????

I was seen doing 147mph and I readily admit to it, but where's the proof?????

Rob
is rite why buy a scooby when you can do 70 in a skoda wheres the fun
Old 16 December 2004, 09:58 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Do Skodas do more than 70?

I'd take the fine personally, he could have done you with more. I've had similar and took it with a smile.