Marta Andreasen warns EU Constitution will make fraud problem worse

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2004, 09:05 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Marta Andreasen warns EU Constitution will make fraud problem worse

Marta Andreasen warns EU Constitution will make fraud problem worse

In a lecture to a Vote No meeting last week, the European Commission's former Chief Accountant Marta Andreasen argued that the EU Constitution could make the problem of EU fraud even worse. Pointing out that in November the Court of Auditors refused to sign off the EU's accounts for the tenth year running, she argued that the EU institutions needed reform rather than more powers.

Marta explained that the EU Constitution, if implemented, would create a dangerous system of "shared control" of EU funds between the member states and the Commission. She said, "shared control... is equivalent to no control. It is basically a method of shifting the responsibility somewhere else... something in which the European institutions are very experienced."

She argued, "my experience from the inside allows me to say that we are at great risk if we vote for a Constitution that increases the powers of institutions which have proved up until now to be totally unaccountable and lacking transparency. European citizens deserve better, and if we let go this opportunity to express our dissent, there will not be another opportunity again." Marta concluded that, "this is not the time to draw up a Constitution but instead to look at the existing institutional structures. and analyse what went wrong - and I believe a lot has gone wrong."

The rot continues...

Mick
Old 14 December 2004, 10:15 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have "lost" so much money over the years
Old 15 December 2004, 09:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mentioned 9 years some time ago, so it has now gone into the tenth year. How do they get away with it?

I really hope we have more sense than to go along with that constitution, which is designed to lose us our democratic power of the vote and will turn the whole of Eu into a vast Big Brother society.

Good for those with the power of control of course, which is what they are all aiming for at the expense of our country.

Les