Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Duff Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2004, 06:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duff Headlamps

Is it me or is there a hell of a lot of cars around at the moment with duff bulbs ?

Basically if you run on one, if the other one fails, no headlamps, I drove 13 miles home today and would estimate I saw abvout 10 cars with one headlamp out of action, on the continent you are obliged to carry spare bulbs. My boss collared me the other day as his car was down to one lamp, he couldnt manage to change the bulb, I know its a bit fiddly but its not that bad.

What really, really winds me up are the bell ends that insist of running wih front fogs on at all times but either one fog or one headlamp is inoperative.

Last edited by J4CKO; 14 December 2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:38 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, out with Mrs. Vegescoob the other night and she drives in dark more than me and she said she was noticing more cars with one headlight bulb out. Shows how often they check. I also think it shows how far they observe. Not.
Old 15 December 2004, 01:59 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Penalties for a blown headlamp !

Not only is a blown headlamp bulb dangerous (other drivers may find it difficult to judge your speed/distance) but it is also illegal.

A car must be capable of passing an MOT at any time. Knowingly driving a car with a defect which would cause it to fail an MOT is an offence. If you do get stopped for blown headlamp bulb and you admit to knowing it had blown, prosecution will result in a small fine plus 3 points on your license.

It's true that you would be unlikely to be prosecuted, more likely to be given a producer and asked to take it to an MOT station to prove the fault had been rectified. However if the copper concerned is having a bad day and you admit to knowing it had blown, there is no defence against the charge.

Some years ago I got 3 points for a blown headlamp bulb which had blown 5 minutes earlier when I started my journey. The offence code was CU20 - one of the Construction & Use Offences. I made the mistake of being honest when I spoke to the police (usually something I advocate, but not in this instance).

In summary, keep spare headlamp bulbs in the car and if stopped by the police make sure you say you had no idea it had blown.
Old 15 December 2004, 04:03 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The big danger with one light coming from the front is that someone could easily mistake it for a motorbike and drive straight into the front of the car, especially if it's the offside light that has gone.

Problem is that many people just drive 'in town' or surbubia etc. where there is streetlighting and so forth so many people will be genuinely ignorant of the fact that their bulb has gone. It's only when the driver needs the lights (country roads, unlit streets etc.) that they realise. Be honest, how many times do you check your bulbs? They could go anytime, even just after you've checked them.

Used to be the case that a police car would see broken lights, pull you over and let you know so you could sort the problem out but you hardly see them on the roads these days.
Old 15 December 2004, 08:44 AM
Pastor
BANNED

Another reason might be that some stupid *** manufacturers make it so it's almost impossible to change your own bulbs.
Was looking through the user manual for my mothers MKIV Golf looking for the bulb changing instructions to find some bullsh1t about "modern car design means these are not a user serviceable item"- WTF is that all about. A trip to the stealers to change a fecking bulb????? Angry isn't the word, a bit of digging and I found that to change a headlight bulb requires removal of the bumper!
Load of old **** if you ask me.
Old 15 December 2004, 08:52 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

modern car design means these are not a user serviceable item
I guess they're hardly likely to say, "p*ss poor car design means these are not a user serviceable item" are they?

What next, oil you can't top up yourself? A big-*** sealed-for-life fuel tank?
Old 15 December 2004, 11:17 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yup, very irritating.

What I find even more alarming is the number od drivers who don't realise that the light switch moves more than just one "click" and think sidelights are perfectly adequate lighting in the dark You see them drive past squinting and peering over the steering wheel - as if putting your head closer to the windscreen is going to help (which only increases rear/side blind spots and making your door mirrors pretty much useless)

Also "non - serviciable" item. True, certain cars (facelift Renault Clio springs to mind - typical French ) Requires the front bumper to be removed in order to get access. Awful design on such a critical component.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 December 2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 15 December 2004, 11:28 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Is it me or is there a hell of a lot of cars around at the moment with duff bulbs ?
I think the reason you're noticing it more than usual is the time of the year, with it being darker much earlier in the afternoon people are using their headlights (allegedly) more often.

I could rant about lights all day and night. WTF is so difficult about using them correctly? Muppets driving along country lanes at slow speed but refusing to use their full beam, making it that much harder to overtake and getting ratty with you as you pass with full beam on - they finally work out how to use them as they flash their lights madly at you.

Fog lights? One advantage of having a Scoob is that you can flash them on and off at offending motorists and only the dumbest fail to notice. Either that or the ones who think it looks 'cool' to drive round with them on.

As for the ***** who don't even notice that one of their bulbs has blown, I don't believe they should be allowed to drive if they are that unaware of their surroundings.
Old 15 December 2004, 11:52 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Yep, another moan Mrs Vegescoob and I have. As Flatcapdriver says. Again I think these tw@ts on dipped beam are happy cos they only look 100m up road. That's probably cos their eyesight is poor. Have you seen the figures for people who, it is reckoned drive with poor/uncorrected vision. Surveys seem to suggest 10%!!!
Old 15 December 2004, 12:04 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Angry

As I said though it could be some hapless schmo on their way to a dealer to have them change the bulb at massive labour rates.
Spare a thought for drivers of MKIV Golfs like my poor mother, she noticed straight away there was a problem but of course it isn't possible to change the bulb yourself. They are not Xenon's either. Ditto Clio drivers it would seem. I don't think the cars should get EU type approval unless you can change such a basic consumable.
Blood is still boiling following my discovery of this yesterday.
Old 15 December 2004, 12:37 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pastor
As I said though it could be some hapless schmo on their way to a dealer to have them change the bulb at massive labour rates.
Spare a thought for drivers of MKIV Golfs like my poor mother, she noticed straight away there was a problem but of course it isn't possible to change the bulb yourself. They are not Xenon's either. Ditto Clio drivers it would seem. I don't think the cars should get EU type approval unless you can change such a basic consumable.
Blood is still boiling following my discovery of this yesterday.
You are right. Topgear.com in letters section has complaints about this on several makes. People paying over £100 to have a bulb changed!!
True shouldn't get Type Approval but hey gives work to dealers. Perhaps that's the idea as many modern cars require less and less regular maintenance.
Old 15 December 2004, 02:51 PM
Dicke C
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Pastor
Another reason might be that some stupid *** manufacturers make it so it's almost impossible to change your own bulbs.
Was looking through the user manual for my mothers MKIV Golf looking for the bulb changing instructions to find some bullsh1t about "modern car design means these are not a user serviceable item"- WTF is that all about. A trip to the stealers to change a fecking bulb????? Angry isn't the word, a bit of digging and I found that to change a headlight bulb requires removal of the bumper!
Load of old **** if you ask me.

Damn, damn and damn again.....

Just bought 2 lovely new Philips Vision plus bulbs for the Mark IV Golf yesterday.
Went outside at 15:00 to change the bulbs as I have to start my journey to work at 15:30. 15 mins later after trying to remove clips, screws and still no closer to my goal, gave up and headed off to work, thinking it can't be that hard can it?

You have just made my day!
Old 15 December 2004, 03:57 PM
Pastor
BANNED

It's a fooking joke, spent 1/2 hour ysterday trying to change them for my mother- no joy. Have a look on the internet- remove the battery cover etc and you re half way there. Unless of course it's a turbo, then it's bumper off time.
Load of bolleaux if you ask me............................
Old 15 December 2004, 03:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by J4CKO
on the continent you are obliged to carry spare bulbs.
Makes a mockery of this rule if you can do SFA with them...

My explanation of the "driving round on sidelights" rule is that people are still living 30 years ago when headlights drained the battery quicker. I was under the impression that a 2-yr-old car wouldn't have that problem, but they don't realise it. Peez me off too.