Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Fog lights etc - new game

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2000, 10:18 AM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I presume you get extra bonus points if the driver is in a beige Allego estate, wearing a trilby, smoking a pipe, sitting in the middle lane going 55, wearing string-backed driving gloves and using full hand signals for every manoevre!

Old 14 January 2000, 10:23 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

I discovered a new medical condition, called "Clash Syndrome" it involves dithering no-marks confronted by mini roundabaouts.
Old 14 January 2000, 10:31 AM
Jason L
Scooby Regular

Dave,

I was just going to say... do we get extra points for BMW drivers with fog lights on?

I think the game should also give a huge bonus for BMW drivers who drive with fog lights on but who only turn their side lights on so that they can prove their fog lights work !!!

Or am i being unfair and generalising ?
Old 14 January 2000, 05:39 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Guys,

The game would be too easy if you got bonus points for BMWs with fogs ON, why not make it more challenging and try to spot beemers _without_ fogs on (tricky), in the leftmost lane when not overtaking (very tricky), following at a safe distance on motorways (getting worse still) and (wait for it) not blathering away on a mobile phone (generally handheld) 30% of the journey (is it possible?).

BTW: The first player who claims one of these BMW bonus's will require good video footage and an independent witness to prove it, and may otherwise be branded a liar!

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 14-01-2000).]
Old 14 January 2000, 06:03 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Wink

Try turning your lights off - sneaking up behind 'em then turning them on again - full beam ! - that usually gets a laugh!

For some unknown reason - within certain driving circles - fog lights have entered the realm of 'COOL' to be seen with them on - any time of day!

On a serious note - if there isn't already - there should be fines for people driving with fog lights on - it really is the most annoying practise.
Old 14 January 2000, 06:04 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

No I haven't - before someone decides to jump on me!
Old 14 January 2000, 06:18 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Wink

How about a new game .........
pull out in front of a volvo 30 feet before it gets to the junction that your at then drive at 20mph for miles until a nice safe place
that they can overtake you at.

then vanish ala starship enterprise.......

(done V.Tongue in cheek.... ;-) )

mike

[This message has been edited by BladeRnnr (edited 14-01-2000).]
Old 14 January 2000, 06:18 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

I have found that on a day to day basis if you want to find people driving with fog lights on at anytime of the day then BRIXTON is your best bet, usually combined with the BMW motor car. If I played the `GAME` would I have to have a handicap as I am generally round Brixton most days when working and this could be an unfair advantage !!!!

Alternatively, get the PIAA driving light conversion and BURN THEIR RETINAS OUT.
Old 14 January 2000, 08:31 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well, we aint perfect guys and gals,

I was going up the A1(M)today in a company Jeep Cherokee and some plonker in a import V plate Scooby Turbo insisted on having his front foglights on at 6.30am when there was absolutely no fog!

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 14-01-2000).]
Old 14 January 2000, 08:35 PM
AndrewP
Scooby Regular

Cool

Do Citroen Saxo VTR/VTS's have an off switch for front fogs????
Old 14 January 2000, 09:08 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Followed a BMW into Tescos the other day, usual story rained about 5 days ago so fog lights still on happened to park near to BM, so I went over and said to the 30 something lady driving "didn't know if you knew but your rear fog light is on"
She took her keys out of the ignition got out went to the back of the car and said "no they're not"
At this point I gave up and walked away.

p.s. Test drinving company cars for my step father recently didn't realise how dog slow BMW 318's were until then, Why do they try to race us?
Persuaded him to get the Lexus IS200 instead,bit quicker plus six speed box and all the goodies, plus company coughed up for satnav, with all the toys don't know when he's going to get the time to stir the cogs though
Old 14 January 2000, 09:31 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Paul
Thanks for the chuckle

Penni
Did you know that it IS illegal to drive with front foglights if the visability is better than 100m!
Old 14 January 2000, 09:45 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Mike
I love it!

Nick
No I didn't that's why I said ' if there isn't there should be...' you may ask how did I get a license in this country - being North American and all - I ARGUE'D!!!

So - shall we have a game about the amount of plonkers driving around 'tonight' particularly - with their high beams on!

Some may call it revenge - I call it every idiot on the planet was out tonight!

Old 14 January 2000, 09:52 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Angry

There is of course a collective noun for cars with at least one defective light.
The're called " Vauxhalls "

It's true! For those who do count, look how many cars with naff lights sport a griffin. 60%+ I'll wager.

Josh
Old 14 January 2000, 10:04 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Cool

Its true Vauxhalls are well renowned for losing tail lights, although the GSi's I had a few years ago, i cured the problem, but GM werent interested in knowing how to fix them
Old 15 January 2000, 02:05 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
fog light users on clear days really does my head in, so i allways do there retina's in with my 130 Watt scoobysport lights and zenon bulbs, usually does the trick.

Rear fogs on at night in rain is the worst as you cant see when the brake lights come on.

I usually sit behind them with all my mains on untill they get the message, only switching them off if a car is comming towards me.

I am convinced these people are brain dead, a lot of it is down to poor design on the cars though, they should be automatically switched off when you turn the ignition off, so that if you need them on during your next journey you have to switch them on again.
Old 15 January 2000, 05:29 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

It has to be said that some people are just not into driving like the majority on the BBS. Just to play Devils advocate if you nudged the rear fog light switch as you got in your scooby ,would you know you had your rear fog light on when you switched main lights on. I certainly wouldnt cause there no warning light on the instrument panel. The warning light is on the button and unless your 3 foot tall you would never look down there. BUT yes; you might think somethings wrong if one or two people flashed you. What ticks me off is when you flash them and they ignore you or even worse flash their hazards lights at you.....that really makes me see red. Still just take 10 deep breaths .......then overtake and give them a brake test !!!!!!!!
Old 15 January 2000, 05:55 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Wink

The warning lights should be on the dash not on the button.

Dave
Old 16 January 2000, 02:30 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have heard a suggestion re fog lights, which is probably appropriate for both front and back. A motion switch, if speed is in excess of say, 30, switch turns fogs off and they need to be manually switched on again next time. If it is safe enough to be driving at that speed, then you don't need fog warning lights on right? All manufacturers should be forced to fit this.
Old 16 January 2000, 05:25 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

It really is true.... in a test this evening two out of two BMW 3 series with front fog lights on... one with side lights only.

Dave
Old 16 January 2000, 07:14 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

It's interesting what John said about having switches which turn off the lights when the ingnition is turned off.

An XR3i that I had a few years ago (E Reg)featured this. Very sensible I thought, but a year later when I replaced it with an RS turbo (F reg), the feature had been removed.

I suppose that's Ford for you.
Old 16 January 2000, 07:30 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Hmm, interesting run in with a 7 series BMW Saturday, not only did he have his fog lights on with his sidelights (perfectly clear, sunny day), but he got very stroppy when I used the correct lanes to go round a roundabout, so much so he stormed round the outside of me, roared up the wrong lane, carved across the traffic in front of me, went through a light turning red. All this to go through the Dartford tunnel ? very strange person indeed. He really did not like my car at all, i overtook him on the slip road leading out of the Dartford tunnel, doing about 45, he sped up alongside me, started being very aggressive.

I know there are some decent BMW drivers out there, I have met some of them, but this is the reason i am not usually very charitable towards them.
Old 17 January 2000, 12:33 AM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Ford Mondeo has auto-cancelling fog lights - you can't switch them on by mistake, and they go off when the main lights go off. Seems like a total solution to the prob, but it's the only car I've ever seen with this feature.

It had to have SOMETHING good about itself!
Old 17 January 2000, 01:00 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Angry

What is even more annoying than someone with their rear fog light on is someone driving down unlit roads with a rear fog light that goes off every time they use full beam. Aarghh! Nothing more frustrating than someone effectivly flashing their fog light at you every time an oncoming car approaches.
Old 17 January 2000, 01:13 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

While we're BMW bashing I thought I'll add my penny's worth. 318s' is their natural cruising speed 110mph? There you are cruising on the motorway and you spy this BMW behind approach very fast. Must be an M3 or a least a 328 but no, you pull over to let him pass an it's a 318.
I'm sure Anders could tell us why people with slow cars must drive faster than everything else on the road.

Mark

PS beware there is an M3 that's badged as a 318. A while ago I was driving on the M25 the "318" in front pissed off rather quickly. It was only when I pulled along side at a traffic jam I spied the M-Tech seats.
Old 17 January 2000, 01:22 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Mark, it wouldnt be a nice shiny silver one would it ? had one climbing all over the back of me in heavy traffic, not very subtle though, all the bodywork, just no M badges, and a rather crap 318 iS badge on the back ?

Quick Reply: Fog lights etc - new game