Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Goldsmith and criminals

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2004, 01:42 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldsmith and criminals

"lord" Goldsmith reckons that crims should have their human rights protected and that current legislation is sufficient to protect the man in the street. (E.G. - someone breaks into my house and I kill them, I go to jail)

I think that when someone decides to become involved in criminal activity they forfeit all rights and whatever happens is fair play. (E.G. Someone breaks into my house and I kill them I get a prize for cutting crime figures in the area)

Some say I am a right wing extremist, but I think that the very thought of being beaten to death with a baseball bat for B&E would discourage about 99% of the scumbags.

So - question is - who do you want for next PM - goldsmith or me....
Old 12 December 2004, 01:45 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

You get my vote. Break into my house, expect to meet a blunt instrument.
Old 12 December 2004, 01:49 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

You, of course lord Fast Bloke ! The country will prosper with free lager flowing and all the crims would go to hell.........
BTW I dont think the current legislation is sufficient.
Old 12 December 2004, 01:52 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

hey - who voted for goldsmith :grrr:
Old 12 December 2004, 01:53 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Whatever the legislation may be it won't stop the burglar.

They're mainly driven by their 'next hit', and do not give a fooooook.
Old 12 December 2004, 02:03 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

even if the 'next hit' is a bullet in the head?
Old 12 December 2004, 02:06 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

A mate in the police told me that most burglars are chicken **** and go for easy, soft targets, the thought of being battered if caught would put a fair few off, IMHO, just leaving the real hard cases to it

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2004, 02:09 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
even if the 'next hit' is a bullet in the head?
Yep.

I see them every day, deal with them every day and see them come out of prison every day. They live for their habit.

Sad but true.....
Old 12 December 2004, 02:13 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
A mate in the police told me that most burglars are chicken **** and go for easy, soft targets, the thought of being battered if caught would put a fair few off, IMHO, just leaving the real hard cases to it

Hard cases are the non slags that are clever and only do big jobs-no money in houses.

The vast majority of 'normal' residential burglary is done by smack/crack addicted people. Don't be complacent.
Old 12 December 2004, 02:44 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

much as we do not see eye to eye FB, I'm with you on this one.

If anyone trespasses on my property, with the intent to steal, damage, or otherwise harm my property or loved ones, then they had better be prepared to leave in a body bag. Material possesions, ok, they can be replaced, so I'm not too worried about that. However, I will give my life to protect those I care about, and anyone who attempts to harm those people, well, I'd make Tony Martin look like a saint.
Old 12 December 2004, 06:58 AM
johnskelley
Scooby Regular

I wonder if governments are frightened of upping the anti, that if we were able to protect our homes and family with extreme violence, that criminals would go about their seedy work more prepared to meet this violence. The same principle applies to universally arming the police and giving someone natural life in prison, its the (what have the criminals got to lose principle). If this is the way the government think, they are wrong.

Society should be for the benefit of the law abiding citizen. People should be able to defend their family's and property without fear of retribution and so should the police be able to defend themselves against toerags with guns.

If someone enters my home uninvited for reasons better known to themselves I will react in a very violent manner. I would act this way not out of bravado but fear. Because I have no idea of their intentions and I wouldn't want anybody to gain control over my family.

The advice I gave my kids when they were young, was that if anybody tried to get them into a car or make them do or go somewhere and they didn't want to go, always scream struggle and make this as difficult as you can. Interfere with the gears with their feet, or pull up the handbrake because its better to fight at the beginning before somebody has got complete control. Making it easy for a criminal is not a good option.

By the way, I did read them bedside stories too.
Old 12 December 2004, 11:25 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

fb,

I'm always told I'm left wing (mainly by people on here ), but I am in complete agreement with you on this one. I spend quite a bit of time in the US and those States where it is legal to own a gun and protect your property do not have the problem with break-ins and burglary that other States with more restrictive laws do. The average petty thief is not going to break in to a house if he might end up leaving in a body bag - fact!!!

Of course the threat is greater than the reality probably as even in the US where people have grown up with guns and the rights to protect what's theirs through any reasonable force many when faced with an intruder are not going to be able to pull the trigger. There's a huge difference between having the right to do something and actually doing it despite what the keyboard ninjas on a BBS might say.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 12 December 2004, 11:32 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Our biggest problem these days is that so many burglars carry some kind of offensive weapon now since if they do injure the victim they do not get the sort of punishment that deters them. Many of them are prepared to do anything to avoid capture or to enable them to carry out the thefts. If you get in their way you cannot be certain that you wont be at least very badly injured if not killed.

In that case I personally feel that if you can get the first blow in it should be strong enough to effectively disable the criminal and to save your own life. No good standing there to let him have the first go for sure.

The courts should realise this and make due allowances for the victim of the intended crime. I agree that if someone breaks into a house with intent to rob then he should lose his so called human rights immediately. If the criminal gets killed in the struggle it is of his own doing as far as I am concerned, although I would not set out to kill him deliberately, but purely to stop him from attacking me or my family. I feel you have to assume that he will attack you if he has to in order to preserve his own freedom.

Les
Old 12 December 2004, 11:54 AM
rik-1
Scooby Regular

In the USA where crime is generally higher they have less burglaries as it's legal to have a firearm in your house.
Old 12 December 2004, 12:14 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Agree - let them have it. I've got a rather large deterrent. 9 stone of French Mastiff slobber , teeth & claws. If anybody tried to attack my wife or myself they are in deep sh*t. He's proved himself in one situation already when someone came for me when I was out in the car(previous road rage thread on here). They got within about 3ft of the car door to be met with the dogs massive set of teeth snarling at them out the car window. They beat a hasty retreat. I also have insurance for him so if he kills a burglar we're covered for liability
Alas
Old 12 December 2004, 12:17 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

The thing is, if you are allowed to kill an intruder the intruder will know this and arm him/herself accordingly
Old 12 December 2004, 12:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

FB for PM

Obviously, if said burglar broke in my house and they met with various trinkets of my armoury. Under current law, the pork pies would have to find the dead body before they can arrest me

Under FB's rule I can just ring 999 and get them to dipose of the body for me - much easier