Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should bands do an encore?

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2004, 09:39 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Should bands do an encore?

Saw the manics in london on Thursday night, came back feeling disappointed and let down as they didn't do an encore. What other bands have people seen who can't be asred to do an encore?
Old 10 December 2004, 10:07 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Saw Rod Stewart recently who said he wasnt going to waste time going off then coming back on as it was a waste of time. Fair enough I thought.

Chip
Old 10 December 2004, 10:12 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Last time I saw the Manics they never did one then.

Sounds like nothings changed

Last edited by n one; 10 December 2004 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Dah, cant spell
Old 10 December 2004, 10:12 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Saw Jesus and the Mary Chain at Hammersmith Palais play one song, a bottle was thrown at them and they went off. riot ensued police called, the works.
Old 10 December 2004, 10:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Milamber
Saw Jesus and the Mary Chain at Hammersmith Palais play one song, a bottle was thrown at them and they went off. riot ensued police called, the works.
Think yourself lucky they didn't stay for a whole set.
Old 10 December 2004, 11:08 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Saw LostProphets at Leeds uni a couple of weeks ago. Made it quite clear that they weren't going to do an encore as the whole "Ooh will they, won't they," thing is an insult to the fans' intelligence. Stonking set though, recommended
Old 10 December 2004, 11:12 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Madonna at Earl's Court this year. The seats were a rip-off, (£150 each for "category 1" seats, which were crap), the merchandise and programmes were a rip-off and she couldn't even be arsed to do an encore.

I was disgusted. This year she lost at least one fan who's been there right from the beginning.

Trending Topics

Old 10 December 2004, 11:15 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

£150. Christ on a bike.
Old 10 December 2004, 11:20 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
£150. Christ on a bike.
The t-shirts, which seemed to be made out of tissue paper were £25. The programmes were also £25.

Most of the "category 1" seats were so far from the stage it was all but impossible to tell which little figure was actually Madonna.
Old 10 December 2004, 11:25 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Greed is a terrible thing. I'd expect a blowie off of Madonna for that.

...If I were single and not happily married.

And I meant the programme price, not the ticket.

Last edited by Bubba po; 10 December 2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10 December 2004, 11:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

saw blondie last year,, she did an encore, as did most of the other bands, ive seen

i would shout at the ******* that didnt arrogant bistards

M
Old 11 December 2004, 12:05 AM
ChrisB

Last two bands I saw live were Coldplay and Travis. Both did encores and both utterly rocked the venues
Old 11 December 2004, 01:14 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Encores are such a cliche. They should do what the Cure did when I saw them at Wembley. Do a set, say 'we're off for 10 minutes to take a break', come back, do the next load of songs then say 'give us 5 minutes, we fancy a break' then do the last bit and then say 'thanks', lights on and we all go home.

What I hate is all this, 'shall we', 'shan't we' etc. when they know full well they're gonna come back for 3 more songs then saying 'thanks, that 'really' is it' - as if we didn't know

You either rock or you don't. Encore cliche's make no difference.
Old 11 December 2004, 08:19 AM
bashful
Scooby Regular

The Wedding Present never did encores - didn't hurt the experience one bit.
Old 11 December 2004, 09:24 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

Every band I have seen have done an Encore....I think it's the LAW . I did however get bored by the 3rd encore by Bon Jovi once.....it was like....yeah just get it over with! I want to go home.
Old 11 December 2004, 12:05 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Encores are such a cliche. They should do what the Cure did when I saw them at Wembley. Do a set, say 'we're off for 10 minutes to take a break', come back, do the next load of songs then say 'give us 5 minutes, we fancy a break' then do the last bit and then say 'thanks', lights on and we all go home.

What I hate is all this, 'shall we', 'shan't we' etc. when they know full well they're gonna come back for 3 more songs then saying 'thanks, that 'really' is it' - as if we didn't know

You either rock or you don't. Encore cliche's make no difference.
I agree - but would still feel short changed without one if that makes sense - like the attitude you describe. Off to see the Darkenss tonight the problem is I already have a pretty good idea what's going to occur having read reviews - but the kids haven't so it will still be fun.
Old 11 December 2004, 02:45 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I guess that part of this is down to the band and part down to the audience. If the audience go mad even if the performance was pretty average then it is reasonable to expect that the band might think you loved them and come back on.

I think they should only encore if there is "demand" for it and I think, certainly in some situations, it would do audiences no harm to know the difference between a good performance and an average or bad one.

I went to London to see Pletnev conduct the Rach 3rd piano concerto. It was the most awful performance of the work I've ever had the misfortune to sit through, so bad that I can't even remember who the soloist was. Despite this the RFH went mad with people clapping and even a very few standing! I stood alright, but only to make a dash for the door.

Now clearly there are different points of reference for the quality of the performance, if you are a teenage girl going to see a boy band then it is all good, if you go along to see Status Quo for a laugh and a dance then you will probably get a good show and it would be reasonable to show appreciation which might lead to an encore. I saw Quo several times in the early 80's and they were great fun, honestly, and well worth an encore.

However, when Pletnev starts a concerto marked allegro like it was a presto the audience should be discerning enough to know that something is not right and that the performance certainly doesn't deserve the sort of reaction that might lead to an encore. Perhaps, however, some people were just there for a night out and maybe they enjoyed it enough to think that it deserved an encore, just like I might go to see Quo for some fun but without considering the intrepretation or musicianship.

It is a hard one to call but perhaps audiences should be a little more critical in their approach as this would not only discourage random encores but it may also do something to increase the standard of performance. You have to balance this with just getting out there and having a good time.

Last edited by hedgehog; 11 December 2004 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Oops, how many double negatives can you have in one sentence?
Old 11 December 2004, 03:46 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Every band I've seen has done an encore as far as I can remember. I went to 'The Big Day Out' in MK *some* years back and Metallica were headlining with Marilyn Manson as number 2, problem is Metallica fans and Manson fans don't get along.

Manson was booed as soon as he got on the stage and only did a couple of songs with bottles raining down on him before leaving the stage Someone clearly challenged him to a fight in a quiet bit and Manson indicated for the bloke to come on up to the stage at which point hte crowd parted to allow the bloke forward unfortunately the security guards were being sensible

Metallica played about twice as long as they were meant to just to make up for Manson not doing a full set so good on them
Old 11 December 2004, 03:54 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Returning to the manics they clearly couldn't be bothered. The projector remained on showing a film reel and the lights remained dimmed then suddenly the lights switched on and everyone went home. They didn't even do some of their best songs which gave the impression that they were being saved for a rousing encore (that never arrived)

Call it an encore or not, call it a cliche or not "I" think they should do one.