Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommend me a Gore-tex waterproof jacket

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2004, 04:59 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a Gore-tex waterproof jacket

At the moment it's a choice between the Berghaus Polar Gemini, High Trails III and Mera Peak IA but before I buy one of these has anyone got any other suggestions? I'll be mostly wearing it for four season hill walking and rallying both here and in Europe so it needs to be able to take everything the weather can chuck at it and be very breathable

I'm looking to spend around the £200 mark but can go a bit higher (or lower )

Sal
Old 07 December 2004, 05:05 PM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

I work for the company that owns Berghaus, and can get a hefty discount should you decide to go down that route . .
Old 07 December 2004, 05:15 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hill walking and rallying are two different things. One is hot work and one is very cold work.

I would look for a jacket with built in layer system, i.e. zip in fleece, zip in waterproofing etc.

For example I have a Deerhunter Montana jacket which is warm, comfortable and the waterproofing zips in and you can also zip the fleece inside that as well. Might not be suitable for what you want it for, but that sort of thing would make sense.

Or failing that, just get a purely waterproof, breathable jacket and wear layers and lots of them for rallying

Cheers

Ian
Old 07 December 2004, 05:19 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at the Paramo range of clothing. I have the Paramo Velez smock and it is great...really waterproof and very breathable. Perfect for cycling etc. They have a vast range to suit every occasion.
Old 07 December 2004, 05:31 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

boulevard - interesting

Ian, I'll probably wear it mainly for walking in t'hills as I usually wear my Subaru jacket at rallies although I get too hot in it walking up the stages but it is good when I've been standing around for a few hours The waterproof jacket I have now was a fifty quid special some years ago and is supposedly breathable and waterproof although it doesn't seem to do either well. I normally wear a base layer and a variety of microfleeces anyway but can't decide between getting a jacket with a zip-in liner or just a waterproof shell.

I'll check out the Paramo range, cheers

I've been looking at TNF coats as well, in particular the Alpine and the Alpine Acclimate but don't know whether these or the Berghaus are better.
Old 07 December 2004, 05:50 PM
ChrisB

Don't approach Paramo based garments like Gore-tex stuff. If you do a hydrostatic test on a Paramo fabric it fails, so in theory it isn't waterproof. Find one of the authorised Paramo dealers via their website and visit them. Some people love the stuff, others aren't so sure.

eVent has a good reputation, up with GT XCR for weight, durability and performance.

The first year we did Monte Sal, I wore my Lowe Alpine jacket as my outer shell. This uses Triple Point Ceramic material, although LA have moved over to Gore fabrics for 2005. I then layered well under that, starting with a Meraklon based thermal top and long johns.

Outdoors Magic has reviews, buyers guides and owner's comments.

Ozzy is a good person to speak to
Old 07 December 2004, 05:53 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I would recommend Berghaus - always served me well for the old Ten Tors walks
Old 07 December 2004, 05:59 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

When I was getting one about a year ago...mainly for hiking and scrambling the best were LOWE ALPINE ATOM and the KARRIMOR PHANTOM. I'm not sure what's about now. If you are thinking of spending £200 then I'd advise to wait until TRAIL MAGAZINE do a test on then (Buy back issues if you have to) or get soem advice from two shops I usually go to in Manchester (Not sure if they are in your area) COTSWOLD and ELLIS BRINGHAM...usually the guys in these shops know what they are talking about and will help you to make the right choice for the right amount of money.

Aaquil.
Old 07 December 2004, 06:02 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I've looked at the Paramo site and ordered a catalogue, there are a lot of stockists round here so I'll go and have a look too. I suppose I'm lucky that we're overrun with outdoor shops in and around the Dales

Lowe Alpine is another brand I'm considering, goddammit there's just too much choice

Chris, I've been through every online shop on Outdoors Magic this afternoon It's a great site, I saw it recommended by another Scoobynetter a little while ago.

Last edited by Scoobychick; 07 December 2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07 December 2004, 08:13 PM
johnskelley
Scooby Regular

Question

It would be worth looking in a motorcycle shop.
Old 07 December 2004, 08:44 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the Mountain Hardware stuff, it costs a bit more but its excellent gear the hoods are the best I've come across.

http://www.mountainhardware.com/www/...84C1C4D?id=604
Old 07 December 2004, 08:46 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

If you after some reviews and stuff. Try www.outdoorsmagic.com
Old 07 December 2004, 10:23 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Love my mountain hardware jacket(s) . Have a full on shell for v wet weather & a short blouson / fleece for generally dismal ( like it is currently ).

.. oh and a North Face down parka for brass monkeys.

If you are walking, you are better off layering .. it's easy to take a layer off if the sun comes out

Steve
Old 07 December 2004, 11:02 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by johnskelley
It would be worth looking in a motorcycle shop.
For outdoor gear?

Comparing gear like outer shell jackets is hard work IMO. Trying to work out which Goretex jacket is better than the other comes down to things like the cut, pockets, weight, hood design and the like. If it's the same flavour of GT (XCR, Paclite etc), then both should perform to the same sort of level.

The downside of the full waterproof jackets is that they don't wick / breathe / vent / (insert your choice of term here) as well as a something lighter like a windproof layer. I run hot when moving and find my Lowe Alpine jacket too warm most of the time.

I recently picked up a Montane LightSpeed from Winwood for £25 + P&P. Windproof and water resistant (shower proof rather than full on water proof) and it packs down to a tiny size.
Old 08 December 2004, 08:29 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Comparing gear like outer shell jackets is hard work IMO.
Agreed. Hence this thread
Old 08 December 2004, 10:47 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

I have the November edition of Trail in front of me It has their annual waterproof jacket review in it. Their Top 10 of womens jackets is as follows:

1. Lowe Alpine Crest - £180
2. Mountain Equipment Nada Devi - £220
3. Paramo Alta III - £220
4. Berghaus Siula - £200
5. Macpac Zealot - £250
6. Mountain Hardware Tenacity Parka - £260
7. North Face Universal Infusion - £280
8. Tog24 Dynasty - £169
9. Craghoppers Nansen - £90
10 Keela Spectrum - £110

The Alpine Crest and the Nanda Devi come out pretty much equal, just depends if you want a longer jacket (Alpine Crest) or a shorter one.

If you want the mag (I've finished with it & it'll only go for recycling) PM me and I'll post it to you.

Jon
Old 08 December 2004, 11:13 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jon, you have pm. I see none of my choices so far have made it onto that list
Old 08 December 2004, 11:22 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I would recommend Keela with out a doubt. I have 1 of their first jackets made and its now 14 years old. The only thing I have had to do is re proof it once!!!!! I went to a show at the beginning of the year and took it to the Keela stand, the guys almost fainted, they didn't think they would see 1 of them again After that, Berghaus, Karrimor and Sprayway.

HTH
Old 08 December 2004, 11:56 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would decide on budget, fabric technology and then fit. A lot of jackets are waterproof until the winds pick up. When you add the wind, it easily drives the water through cheaper jackets. That's not to say you need to spend big money, just remember waterproofing isn't the same thing with all jackets. I think most outdoor jackets should have some figure to guide you as to "how" waterproof it is. I know snowbaording gear has ratings on them.

If you spend a lot of times outdoors, then only personal experience of different weather conditions will really help you decide on an ideal jacket. I've still got my £300 Berghaus, but I find it bulky and a bit too hot for the Scottish weather. It was my first jacket, bought about 5 years ago and I'll admit to having worn it only a few times simply because I started to realise all it's short-comings once I was using it.

I recently bought a Berghaus Paclite III jacket. I was after a lightweight waterproof jacket and tried loads of them from just about every brand you can think of (Kimm, RAB, TNF, Mountain Equipment, Montane, Sprayway, Lowe Alpine, etc..) and the only one that really fitted me well was the Berghaus. It was a personal thing, so I would try them on before spending any money.

IIRC it was around £120. It's Gor-tex Paclite 3 material, so basically full waterproof yet extremely lightweight. It's not very long, so I would wear some waterproof overtrousers in really bad weather. It's a true Outer Shell in that it has no insulation of it's own. I prefer this to heavy jackets as it's much easier to control my body temperature by adding or removing thinner layers.

If I'm out on the hills, then I start with a Base Layer (say a Helly Hanson top), then add a lightweight fleece (polartec 100 fabric), then carry a windproof fleece (MacPac, Mountain Equipement type) and then my Berghaus Paclite.

If it's winter, then I'll swap one of the fleeces for my Buffalo Jacket. Even with temperatures down to -10 + windchill, my Buffalo jacket has kept me very warm. Pity it's not waterproof otherwise it would be the ultimate.

If I'm standing around (like watching a rally), I'd use the same principle of layering and make sure I've good fleeces on that can keep the heat in.

I've found the biggest factor is the wind. Make sure you get something that'll stand up to driving wind and that should keep you warm. Make sure any jacket will withstand driving rain and it should keep you dry.

Stefan
Old 08 December 2004, 12:04 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Only ever bought one Gore-Tex jacket, a Spayway TL Torridon. Not sure if they still make it. Does me for most of my hill walking forays. You can zip in a compatable Spayway fleece and I find this combination good for most conditions, i.e. warm and wet - jacket only, cold and dry - fleece only, cold and wet - jacket and fleece, and if it's really cold both with extra base layers.
Old 08 December 2004, 12:32 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

The legned that is Peter storm. If you have any question then ask Davyboy, he should be able to help you out.
Old 08 December 2004, 12:36 PM
ChrisB

Peter Storm? Don't they make kagouls for grannies?
Old 08 December 2004, 01:08 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Mine is legendary!

When other people have been getting wet....old Peter comes out and saves the day!

Awesome! Save your money and get a Peter!
Old 08 December 2004, 01:18 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I've got a Peter Storm kag and gaitors Then again I am old enough to be a granny

Thanks for all the replies so far, especially Ozzy for typing out all that info I'm with you on the layering system, I always wear wicking layers too. What I really need to do is go out walking in a few jackets to see which one suits my needs most, I wonder if anyone is doing 24hr jacket test drives?
Old 08 December 2004, 01:21 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

North Face 'summit series'
Old 08 December 2004, 01:25 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I bow down in Peter's presence.
Old 08 December 2004, 02:54 PM
On-The-Wagon
Scooby Regular

Can't comment on the other options, but I've had a Mera Peak for 6 years now and it's been great on Scottish winter and Alpine summer climbs. It isn't the lightest jacket there is so it might not be ideal for backpacking but it is very durable and keeps everything out (the new version might be lighter and will obviously have the latest Gore-Tex). The seems are still water-tight and the shoulders have stood up to heavy rucksacks very well. The hood on mine is quite large and doesn't really move with the head and you can feel slightly cocooned (sp?), and the collar and chin-guard are quite stiff but comfy. The material on mine is stiffish but that may have changed on the latest ones.

Hope that helps a tiny bit, good luck with your choice

Ian