Old 02 December 2004, 07:30 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May he rot in hell!

As post title!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4058795.stm

Lest We Forget (bottom of the page)

Last edited by TDT; 02 December 2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02 December 2004, 07:33 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TDT
A "real" life sentence too, which obviously is great. But - as much as the murder itself disgusts me, how is it so different to any other brutal murder?
Old 02 December 2004, 07:41 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

I doubt that the sentence will ultimately be life. I understand why TDT hopes it will be. However there are moves afoot in Brussels to abolish true life sentences. Once this country ratifies the EU Constitution forget about life sentences meaning life and then those with life sentences will successfully appeal aided by their expensive (taxpayer funded) lawyers.
Old 02 December 2004, 08:18 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

I spoke to this officer about a month before he was killed. He was dealing with a near fatal accident my friend and colleague was injured in. I also know someone who had done the Road Traffic training course with him. She tells me he loved cars and bikes, and had only ever wanted to be a traffic cop.

I know he will be sorely missed not just by his family but also the police in West Yorkshire.
Old 02 December 2004, 08:46 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

No police officer deserves to die whilst doing his duty, and in this case the death penalty in my opinion is the only way to deal with scum like him, RIP P.C. Broadhurst
Cheers
Colin
Old 02 December 2004, 09:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It is little consolation but after his inevitable release here he will be extradited to America where a similar fate awaits him.
Old 02 December 2004, 09:23 PM
ChavSaz
Scooby Regular

makes you wonder what our country would be like if scum like him wasnt allowed in!

....safe!
Old 02 December 2004, 10:53 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djuk
A "real" life sentence too, which obviously is great. But - as much as the murder itself disgusts me, how is it so different to any other brutal murder?
Because he shot policemen. The law rightly considers the shooting of members of the emergency services as more serious because their job is to help others.

As to the EU thing, AFAIK the European Court of Justice only has an issue with the Home Secretary interfering with sentencing, and in particular their habit of secretly changing the tarrif. I believe they have no problems with whole-life sentences provided that they are a) imposed by the judge, not by poliitcians, and b) open and liable to scrutiny.

M
Old 02 December 2004, 11:04 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

considering there is no hell,i find that hard to do,but yes the bloke should rot at some stage in life
Old 02 December 2004, 11:08 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Makes you hope there is some form of hell for these people. Trouble is, he may get respect inside for his crime (not sure how these things work) whereas if he was a rapist, hed get regular beatings?

MB

Last edited by Dark Blue Mark; 02 December 2004 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03 December 2004, 12:03 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

No police officer deserves to die whilst doing his duty, and in this case the death penalty in my opinion is the only way to deal with scum like him, RIP P.C. Broadhurst
I had the priveldge of meeting Ian. He was a credit to the job and to humanity in general. I consider myself privilged to have met him. The Police service and the world is a poorer place without him.

Ian, you were one of the best, may you rest in peace mate.

Clicky

I hope that on the 26th December everyone will take a moment to think of Ian and those he left behind.

Last edited by TDT; 03 December 2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03 December 2004, 12:32 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

The transcript of the judgement:

Originally Posted by Mr Justice MOSES
On sentencing, the Honourable Mr Justice Moses told Beiber "you must spend the rest of your life in prison".

He told Bieber:

“On 26 December 2003, you armed yourself with a 9mm semi-automatic pistol, loaded with 15 bullets. You were sitting in a parked BMW which you knew had been stolen when it was seen by two police officers. At some stage you cocked that gun so that it was ready to fire.

“The two police officers, PC Broadhurst and PC Roper, treated you with conspicuous fairness and consideration. You repaid their courtesy by killing PC Broadhurst and attempting to murder PC Roper. You shot them both, hitting one in the chest and the other in the back to avoid arrest and discovery of the loaded gun.

“But you were not content with shooting them to escape. As PC Roper was running from the car you shot him again, hitting him near the right shoulder, and shot at PC Banks as he too sought to escape, missing his body, but striking the equipment he wore. Those shots were not fired to make good your escape; they were attempting to get away. They were fired to kill them.

“There is no better evidence that your intentions were not at this stage merely to escape than your behaviour to PC Broadhurst. As he lay severely wounded at your feet, seeking to protect himself and asking you not to shoot him again, you aimed your gun at his head, inches away and shot him. You then calmly moved away.

“Later, you fetched further ammunition and re-loaded your gun so that you could again fire that pistol to make good an escape.

“I and the jury have been able to observe your attitude to the murder of PC Broadhurst. You have shown no remorse for, or even understanding of, the brutality of his murder. On the contrary, you have maintained a cool and detached reaction as you attempted to explain the overwhelming evidence against you.

“On Count 1, the sentence I am required by law to pass is life imprisonment. But I am also now required by the Criminal Justice Act 2003 to consider the seriousness of this offence, having regard to the principles identified in Schedule 21. I must announce in open court my conclusion as to the gravity of this offence and the consequences of that conclusion as to the term of imprisonment which must be served before the Parole Board could consider release.

“Parliament has recognised that the killing of a police officer in the course of his duty normally leads to the conclusion that the seriousness of the offence is particularly high, and in determining the minimum term the appropriate starting point is 30 years. But that is only a starting point. There is one particular aggravating feature which is not allowed for, in the fact that you killed a police officer in the course of his duty. That aggravating feature is that you did not need to shoot him through the head. You had already disabled him and he was defenceless. You could have escaped then. But you chose to wait and fire a second shot at point blank range. It must be acknowledged that he might have died as a result of your first shot, but you made certain of his death.

“I regard this aggravating feature of such significance as to lead to the conclusion that the murder of PC Broadhurst was so grave that I must order that the early release provisions shall not apply and you must spend the rest of your life in prison.

“In relation to Counts 2 and 3, the circumstances of the offences and in particular the fact that you shot at two unarmed police officers in the course of their duty, drives me to the conclusion that these are very serious offences and that you might remain a serious danger to the public for a period which cannot at this time be reliably estimated. In those circumstances I shall pass a life sentence on each to run concurrent with the life sentence on Count 1. I am required to specify the minimum term being half of what I would have passed had I been ordering a determinate sentence. The determinate sentence would have been one of sixteen years; the minimum will be eight years, less the time you have already spent in custody.

“On Counts 4 and 5 you will go to prison for eight years, those sentences to run concurrently - I make no separate order in relation to Count 6.

“No member of a police force is attested as a constable under Section 29 of the Police Act 1996 until he has declared and affirmed that he will, in the office of constable, serve with fairness, integrity, diligence and impartiality, and to the best of his power cause the peace to be kept and preserved. Three constables, PC Broadhurst, PC Roper and PC Banks, on Boxing Day last year were doing no more and no less than performing their duties with all those qualities they had sworn to display. We could hear them. In protecting our community PC Broadhurst lost his life and his colleagues but narrowly escaped with theirs.

“To shoot and kill an officer in such circumstances, doing no more than trying to serve us all, is an attack on all of us, and whilst it is a tragedy for family, friends and colleagues which we cannot share, it is a loss to us all. Those three officers deserve our praise and our gratitude because there is no more important task imposed upon the state than that it protect its citizens and that duty is fulfilled by men such as PC Broadhurst, PC Roper and PC Roper and PC Banks.”
Old 03 December 2004, 09:19 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

I'm not an advocate of the death sentence, mistakes are too much of a burden to bear, but ***** like him really should be extermintated.

No matter what we think of the police, they do a pretty good job withthe resources they have, and they certainbly do not deserve this.

Geezer
Old 03 December 2004, 09:25 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
However there are moves afoot in Brussels to abolish true life sentences. Once this country ratifies the EU Constitution forget about life sentences meaning life and then those with life sentences will successfully appeal aided by their expensive (taxpayer funded) lawyers.
Can you back this up please?
Old 03 December 2004, 09:30 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Can you back this up please?
Apologies. Yes I know I must. I've been trying to remember where I read it. I will be doing some searching later on today and will report back.
Old 03 December 2004, 09:41 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

The death penalty is too quick and too good for this guy IMHO.
Old 03 December 2004, 01:21 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nathan L
The death penalty is too quick and too good for this guy IMHO.
I couldn't agree more. I know that if I was in his shoes I certainly wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life in prison.

Hard labour is the solution, after all, there is no reason why he has to be rehabilitated if he is never going to leave prison.

Could also throw him in with some hungry lions and see how the so called hard man handles that.
Old 03 December 2004, 01:56 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

Originally Posted by TDT
I had the priveldge of meeting Ian. He was a credit to the job and to humanity in general. I consider myself privilged to have met him. The Police service and the world is a poorer place without him.

Ian, you were one of the best, may you rest in peace mate.

Clicky

I hope that on the 26th December everyone will take a moment to think of Ian and those he left behind.
I certainly will.
Old 09 December 2004, 09:37 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Saw the programme last night, Didn't realise they had him in the back of the police car. Thought it happened as he was sat in the BMW.
Easy to say but why wasn’t he searched before they put him in the car ?
As part of his defence did he not say that a mate did the shooting !!!! the act of a coward.

Burning question is why did he execute Ian ?? 2 other officers he had shot could easily ID him so why did he have to execute Ian.

I have the deepest sympathy for Ian’s wife, family and PC Roper who is and will remain torn to pieces by the incident that not only caused him great physical pain but also the psychological damage he will carry for life.
Old 09 December 2004, 09:45 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Old 09 December 2004, 09:50 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ChavSaz
makes you wonder what our country would be like if scum like him wasnt allowed in!

....safe!
u reckon? dont u think we have idiots like this born and bred in britain?