Channel 4 - Bomber Crew

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2004, 11:46 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Channel 4 - Bomber Crew

http://www.channel4.com/history/micr.../B/bombercrew/

Fantastic TV IMO.

When the veteran Flight Engineer broke down in tears telling about how it was common for two crews to leave the same accommodation block to fly a mission but only one would return, it made me think. Over on ITV there was a load of "celebrities" trying to resurrect their career's whilst running around a "jungle" gobbing off. I'm guilty of it myself - I've moan about the traffic, the price of petrol and the rest - but you need to hear from people like that to remind it's all relative.

Pure and utter respect for those men
Old 29 November 2004, 11:51 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

100% Respect also.

Comper100
Old 30 November 2004, 03:50 AM
Dicke C
Scooby Regular

I work with John Nolan. He's the one that has just been told he will not be flying the Lancaster. Had to cover for him on days when he had 2 weeks off for the filming.
He said he had a great time, but it was spoiled by all the arty TV brigade telling them when they could go to the loo and not allowing them out for drinks in the evening etc.

As you can see from the TV programme he is rather excitable! Top bloke though and hats off to his Granddad and all those other aircrew from WWII.
Old 30 November 2004, 07:09 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

as a kid I used to knock around with a lad whose father worked as a bank clerk; nice man, quiet, unassuming.

Was told that he did two tours (35 trips per tour) over Germany flying as rear gunner on four engined bombers during WW2.

Didn't mean much at the time - and it's only later I realised what awesome, terrifying times that man must have gone through.
Old 30 November 2004, 08:52 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I really enjoyed it. My uncle was a flight engineer on Lancasters during the war, it really gave me an insight into just what he must've been through. He lives down in Weston-Super-Mare now but he came to stay with us some years ago and we took him to visit his old airfield that he hadn't seen since the war. He stood there and cried. My dad said that my uncle must've only been about 17 back then, can you imagine a lot of 17 year olds nowdays doing that?
Old 30 November 2004, 09:02 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobychick
my uncle must've only been about 17 back then, can you imagine a lot of 17 year olds nowdays doing that?
I think scoobynet would BEG for a lot of 17 year olds nowadays to do that...

Pity I missed the prog, sounds interesting.
Old 30 November 2004, 09:42 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

My uncle was a co-pilot bomb aimer in a Lancater, people like him and the men on that progame last night get my most utter respect, because without them where would we be today, God Bless them all
Cheers
Colin
Old 30 November 2004, 09:54 AM
The 13th Duke of Wybourne
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Over on ITV there was a load of "celebrities" trying to resurrect their career's whilst running around a "jungle" gobbing off. I'm guilty of it myself - I've moan about the traffic, the price of petrol and the rest - but you need to hear from people like that to remind it's all relative.

Pure and utter respect for those men
Didn't see the programme but your comments put everything into perspective. I'm guilty of moaning too much as well. Let's not forget we currently have young soldiers/airmen at 'war' (without going into the rights and wrongs of why they are there). They are risking their lives too. I think the heightened respect for the guys in WWII comes from the fact that they were fighting so close to home to defend our own country.

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I think scoobynet would BEG for a lot of 17 year olds nowadays to do that...
Old 30 November 2004, 10:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

My dad is 90 now, and was attached to 83 pathfinder squadron during the war as electrician ground crew.

He has abiding memories of the aircrew, and of helping to lift a 19 year old upper turret gunner out of a returned shot up Lanc..................in two pieces

He REALLY gets annoyed now with the PC brigade that want to belittle the bomber aircrews and want us to apologise for bombing German cities.

Alcazar
Old 30 November 2004, 10:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They used to transport Lancaster fuselages around for people to look inside and see what the conditions were like. It was quite hard to actually get down the fuselage to get into the tail gunner's seat. I have tried it in the B of B Lanc.

Those guys had no protection and were unbelievably brave as were all the crew in the bombers. having to go into the flak and the fighters regardless to get those bombs off would have been a real frightener and they had to do it so many times on an operational tour.

As was said, they deserve full respect for their part in maintaining our freedom during those dark days.

Les
Old 30 November 2004, 10:59 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

My Great Uncle was a pilot in bomber command during WWII, involved in this http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/tirpitz.html
If it wasn't for those who fought in the wars, then things would no doubt be different nowadays.
Old 30 November 2004, 12:21 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Well said Sal. Forgot about this series Will set it up on Sky + tonight. Anyone know if it is repeated?
Old 01 December 2004, 12:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Make the most of it B2Z, I think there is only one flying one left, unless there is one in OZ, not sure about that.

Les
Old 01 December 2004, 10:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thats good to hear Nat21

Les
Old 01 December 2004, 11:12 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lanc went over us in the Lake District in August, so something's around...

(...unless my aircraft recognition has gone to pot)