Amp Settings

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2001, 10:38 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Okey dokey,

Finished fitting my amp in the rain and just a quick Q before its all done. I've looked in the manual but its not clear on what to do.

I have a Pioneer GMX904 amp, 4x150w max. It has a setting for Low Pass Filter on Channel A and High Pass Filter on Channel B. I've got my two rear speakers on channel B with the HPF (rear ones coz front still standard at the mo) and I'm going to connect my sub up to Channel A bridged. Ok, the question is, the amp has a setting for 2 channel or 4 channel but not 3 channel, what do I do? As A is bridged and B is output to two speakers do I set the amp on 2 channel or 4 channel (I think 4 but stand ready to be corrected!! )
Old 17 July 2001, 11:57 PM
classicrs
Scooby Newbie

I think you will find you will need to have the amp in four channel mode and make sure you connect the sub to the channel with low pass filter not high
i don't have any experience with this amp but seems strange it does not have a three channel mode switch?
Old 18 July 2001, 11:13 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

My thoughts too

Channel A has the LPF which is what I'm gonna set the sub to but thought it odd not to have a 3 channel switch as my previous amp did a good few years ago.
The Pioneer is a few years old too but used to be there top of the range one about 2-3 years ago......
Old 18 July 2001, 11:22 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I wonder if this switches the amp into high current mode rather than doing anything else?

I daresay that the amp will work bridged no matter what that switch is set to, but you may find that you have more headroom with it in 2 channel mode if you're really thwacking the bass...

Old 18 July 2001, 01:15 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for the help

I suppose I can try it on both settings and see whats what!!!

Might get on to Pioneer Uk and see what they say......
Old 18 July 2001, 02:12 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ScoobyJawa:
<B>Cheers for the help

I suppose I can try it on both settings and see whats what!!!

Might get on to Pioneer Uk and see what they say......[/quote]

Old 18 July 2001, 02:14 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Our esteemed moderator is right.

I would go for 2 channel mode

Martin
Old 18 July 2001, 02:20 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scooby Doc:
<B>Our esteemed moderator is right.[/quote]

Good grief, that's a worrying thought. My wife would, out of principle, argue the point.
Old 18 July 2001, 02:28 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks guys , I'll try 2 channel (when my sub box eventually arrives). Ordered on Monday for delivery today (told no problem) - phone up today to be told they are now out of stock and it will come direct from manufacturers by Fri latest . Why does everyone have to mess you around these days If they'd told me that Mon, I'd have got it elsewhere
Old 18 July 2001, 02:50 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you're that annoyed, cancel the order and get it elsewhere...
Old 18 July 2001, 03:21 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I'll wait now, problem with cancelling was that its coming direct from the manufacturers who are going to send it out as soon as its ready. Could already have been sent or may not go until tomorrow....
so its not really worth cancelling now, if its already been sent then I'd just have to send it back....... Just seems that customer service these days ain't what it used to be and thats a shame He said he'd emailed me to tell me, but I ordered over the phone and never gave my email address but he did have my phone number......

Not majorly annoyed, was just on a bit of a roll getting everything sorted and wanted to get the job completed You know how it is
Should still finish it this week anyway, and thanks to all for there help and advice
Old 18 July 2001, 03:49 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ScoobyJawa:
<B>I'll wait now, problem with cancelling was that its coming direct from the manufacturers who are going to send it out as soon as its ready. Could already have been sent or may not go until tomorrow....
so its not really worth cancelling now, if its already been sent then I'd just have to send it back....... Just seems that customer service these days ain't what it used to be and thats a shame He said he'd emailed me to tell me, but I ordered over the phone and never gave my email address but he did have my phone number......

Not majorly annoyed, was just on a bit of a roll getting everything sorted and wanted to get the job completed You know how it is
Should still finish it this week anyway, and thanks to all for there help and advice [/quote]

Old 18 July 2001, 03:51 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Any big Halfords have boxes of various sizes on their shelves

Martin

When I say any I mean the big one near me - I was assuming they were all the same

could always build your own - might get one a more exact fit for your sub

try
Old 18 July 2001, 03:58 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Yeah - went to Halfords, a newly refurbed one with the Ripspeed, had a look only 10" ones on the shelf. Asked matey behind the counter - "no we ain't got no 12" ones, can get ya one made up tho', take a week or so"
Hence I went elsewhere, and just heard today they've now got 12" ones sitting on the shelf.......about 15 quid more expensive tho'
Like I said tho', its ordered now so I'll wait for delivery (I probably won't be in when it comes now either

[This message has been edited by ScoobyJawa (edited 18 July 2001).]
Old 18 July 2001, 09:42 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

You are going to want a sub amp

Then you will be known as Rockin' ScoobyJawa

Old 19 July 2001, 12:09 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is awful outside the car. If I was a wordy type I would describe it, but I'm not going to try - rest assured it is truly horrid. Don't play it loud in town - go mad on deserted roads/fast A/M way. I don't like people turning round or pointing etc etc.
Old 19 July 2001, 10:55 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

lol

Was just thinking how much its gonna annoy others, not like theres a great deal of soundproofing on the Scoob boot is there !!!
What has anyone else found with a sub in the boot - is it really bad noise wise outside the car???
Old 19 July 2001, 02:30 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Although I suppose it depends on what type of music you're listening to as to the noise outside.....

[This message has been edited by ScoobyJawa (edited 19 July 2001).]
Old 19 July 2001, 03:24 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

You don't buy a sub to listen to Tele-Tubby music do you?
Jazz doesn't sound to bad, neither does classical - the worst culprits are the Ibiza stuff with shed loads of sub-bass (which I actually quite like esp the chillout stuff and I don't care if you all flame me for that).
Old 19 July 2001, 05:59 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nah not kiddies stuff I'm a rock person myself, like Bon Jovi, Toploader, The Offspring, Texas etc and the odd Ibiza/MoS/Dance stuff sometimes when the weather's nice (not that often then )
Old 19 July 2001, 07:54 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

John

A bloke from the south east moaning about the weather LOL

Anybody else notice the chinese taking over scoobynet?

Martin
Old 20 July 2001, 08:42 AM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

John B, How can you say "I don't like people turning round or pointing etc etc." You drive a Scooby (well I assume you do?)

All, you can get some dynamat soundproofing to dampen the boot resonances to the outside world, but best bet is to turn it down about 1/4 mile from your destination.

Trev.
Old 20 July 2001, 09:10 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scooby Doc:
<B>Anybody else notice the chinese taking over scoobynet?[/quote]

Just in case anyone wonders what on earth Martin's on about, Scoobynet suffered an attack last night which resulted in the site saying "Hacked by chinese"...

See general section for more info.

Old 20 July 2001, 10:50 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes I drive a Scooby, but not because people point and stare. Drive it because of 1) grip 2) performance. The attention attracting looks/sound are really a disadvantage if I'm honest - my ideal would be a Peugeot 406 or something anonymous that drove like a Scooby.
When I want to leave the car somewhere dodgy, I can't with the Scoob and have to plan on using the Pug 406 V6 when on call etc. I am a Q-car fan. Would love a very fast Scooby with no scoop (FMIC) and no rear spoiler which said "2.0 GX" on it but ran 300bhp with a quiet exhaust.
Even with c.10 square metres of various sound deadening materials on the boot floor and the surrounding panels, it still attracts attention on half volume unfortunately.
Old 20 July 2001, 02:10 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

er thanks Nick for clarifying

Martin
Old 20 July 2001, 02:20 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

John

As far as I am concerned the vibration sounds a little - shall we say downmarket form outside the car.

Trev

I think the bumper and number plate are my next targets - going to take them off completely and that will stop it for good

Have the dynamat inside boot and bootlid plus the old socks stuffed in the spoiler

Martin

Edited because it really did not make much sense

[This message has been edited by Scooby Doc (edited 20 July 2001).]
Old 21 July 2001, 11:18 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

ScoobyJawa,
I've just installed a Pioneer amp in my car (non Scooby) this weekend.
Sounds like we've both got similar set-ups, Ive got a fairly basic Sony headunit with one pre-out running back to the amp, according to the manual the 2/4 channel switch for my amp (can't remember the code but it's last years 4x100W jobbie, probably the one down from yours) relates to the number of INPUTS and as there's only one RCA cable from the head unit the switch is supposed to be set to 2 channel.

As far as speaker outputs go, I've got channel A going to the front's (Pair of 16cm JBL's bought cheap from Halfords at the weekend) and like you, will run channel B bridged to one sub when I eventually get round to buying it.
You just attach the + speaker wire to one of the + outputs and vice versa for the - output but I can't remember which way round, however if you still need to find out, I'll bring the manual to work tomorrow and write another rambling post.
Then it's just a case of fiddling with the filters to get the right frequencies to the right speakers.

Hope this helps.
Dave

Old 21 July 2001, 04:53 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey Dave - nice one

I've got a front and rear pre out on my sony but only run the amp from the rear, but just before the amp I'v got RCA splitters so both imputs on the amp are used. Therefore, by your reckoning I should be on 4 channel, which I am at the mo and it sounds great Will go down my local audio place tho' I think and get them to fine tune it all so it works sweet
In fact you are right its simply an RCA selector switch depending on how many inputs go into the amp (Just checked the manual )

Right.....
I've got my manual in front of me and it contradicts itself. In the diagram for 3 channel mode - eg 2 speakers and the output to the sub, it clearly shows the speakers going to channel A and the sub to channel B. Yet in the front of the manual it says Channel A has LPF for a sub and Channel B is the HPF for speakers Doesn't make sense
Old 22 July 2001, 08:41 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

ScoobyJawa,

Couldn't find my manual this morning as I was in a bit of a rush to get my train, however I'd guess that if channel A has a low freq. filter that would allow it to concentrate on mid to high freq's. (and hopefully stop rattling my door trim panels).
And let the sub get all the lovely low boomy stuff with the high freq. filter on channel B.

However, it's Sunday and as you are legally obliged to fiddle with your car today (unless you are stupid enough to be at work), I'd get down to the local car audio store, I know my local place (Colchester Car Radio) are more than happy to dish out advice to rank amateurs like myself, and it helps if you have a nice car as well!!

Dave

[This message has been edited by DJFish (edited 22 July 2001).]
Old 22 July 2001, 01:36 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Dave

I am stupid enough to be at work this Sunday

Are you stupid enough to be up at 0831hrs on a Sunday morning or do you have internet access in your bedroom?

You have even beaten John Banks to the first post

Martin

Quick Reply: Amp Settings