Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Egg Allergy....but I love eggs!

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2004, 10:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs down Egg Allergy....but I love eggs!

Weird thing started happening to me a while back. Sometimes after I'd eaten, it would feel like there was something stuck in my throat. Not painful or anything, just rather uncomfortable. Drinking water and other means just would shift it, and at its worse would last 4-5 hours!

Now I put this down to me stuffing my face and eating too much/too fast and possibly stress related.

That was until I found it would only happen every time I ate a egg and bacon sarnie or omlette. The clincher to the problem was found when I has boiled egg on it's own and had the problem. I ever since avoided eggs and not had a problem, so must be the eggs I suddenly developed a intolerance too

Very strange as I never had this problem before, I love eggs, but now I can't eat them as it appears that I've grown allergic too them.

I'll go and see the doc and have a chat when I pop in for a check up, but in the meantime I'll just have to steer clear of one of my favourite foods

But I've been thinking, I wasn't allergic to eggs before...so why now?

I was wondering if perhaps in this world of modified and messed with foods that farmers/vets have started injecting/feeding chickens with something or treating eggs with something that I'm allergic too.

I suppose I could try "organic" eggs although the term organic is rather loose when it comes to describing how the eggs were farmed. Such as if a chicken is injected with a vaccine drug or antibiotic for health reasons then perhaps this finds it way into it's eggs - and would this still ocurr in organically farmed eggs?

The mind boggles on possible explainations.

Anyone have any experience on this? Particulary with egg allergies where you initially were tolerant to them.
Old 25 November 2004, 10:57 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't eat them, just try to fertilise them.. job done..
Old 25 November 2004, 11:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I try to avoid fertilising them - far cheaper in the long run!
Old 25 November 2004, 11:18 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Weird thing started happening to me a while back. Sometimes after I'd eaten, it would feel like there was something stuck in my throat. Not painful or anything, just rather uncomfortable. Drinking water and other means just would shift it, and at its worse would last 4-5 hours!

Now I put this down to me stuffing my face and eating too much/too fast and possibly stress related.

That was until I found it would only happen every time I ate a egg and bacon sarnie or omlette. The clincher to the problem was found when I has boiled egg on it's own and had the problem. I ever since avoided eggs and not had a problem, so must be the eggs I suddenly developed a intolerance too

Very strange as I never had this problem before, I love eggs, but now I can't eat them as it appears that I've grown allergic too them.

I'll go and see the doc and have a chat when I pop in for a check up, but in the meantime I'll just have to steer clear of one of my favourite foods

But I've been thinking, I wasn't allergic to eggs before...so why now?

I was wondering if perhaps in this world of modified and messed with foods that farmers/vets have started injecting/feeding chickens with something or treating eggs with something that I'm allergic too.

I suppose I could try "organic" eggs although the term organic is rather loose when it comes to describing how the eggs were farmed. Such as if a chicken is injected with a vaccine drug or antibiotic for health reasons then perhaps this finds it way into it's eggs - and would this still ocurr in organically farmed eggs?

The mind boggles on possible explainations.

Anyone have any experience on this? Particulary with egg allergies where you initially were tolerant to them.
I think Soil Association approved organic eggs are least messed with. Best check their website to see what's allowed injection wise.
Old 25 November 2004, 11:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers handy website that.

Already poped up a concerning report:

http://www.soilassociation.org/web/s...8!OpenDocument

I suffered with the problem for well over a year now, so the dates correspond too (although I had a egg and cress sandwich today - which reminded me ask about it )
Old 25 November 2004, 11:44 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Same happened to me about 15 years ago, I used to love eggs, but all of a sudden I started feeling ill after eating them,then I started to get sick and now its its at the point where I cant even stomach the smell of them... wierd

Phil
Old 25 November 2004, 11:46 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Is it just eggs or do you find it happens with other things also? Poss milk or yogurt?

If so it maybe similar to something I suffered with myself, however what I had lasted for 3-6 hrs and could be quite painful.

A trip to the docs and a course of tablets resolved it.

Hope this helps
Old 25 November 2004, 11:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Milk is fine, as is yogurt.

Seems to be only eggs or food primarily based on lots of eggs. As you can imagine, it took me ages to work out what was causing it (thus the stress therory - which the doc originally thought it was!).

Suppose it could be a protein intolerance. But if that were the case I should have keeled over when I last had the flu jab (based on egg protien IIRC)!
Old 26 November 2004, 10:03 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Ask your GP to be patch tested. That is the only way you will know you have an egg allergy. Until then you are only surmising.

If eggs are the culprit then you need to be very careful as they are in so many processed foods as well.

Chip.
Old 26 November 2004, 10:25 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I had erosive oesophagitis earlier this year which began in exactly the same way you are describing. It felt like a combination of needing to burp and the feeling you get when you swallow a big lump of food and it gets stuck momentarily before passing in to the stomach, except it was like that permanently. Eventually the discomfort turned to pain and was absolutely agony when eating or drinking anything remotely acidic. Finally gave in and saw the doctor when drinking beer had me doubled up!

The problem was basically stomach acid due to heartburn had eaten away at my oesophagus as it joins the stomach and 3 weeks on some pills to cut the production of stomach acid sorted it. Since then, however, I have felt the tell-tale heartburn type initial symptoms a few times and finally traced it down to eating marmite!!

The weird thing is that I have never suffered from heartburn before and have always had a granite constitution, and like you and your eggs, I love my mate marmite. Why does it always have to be the things you like!
Old 26 November 2004, 12:47 PM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My brother in law became allergic to Eggs when he was 18.

Even the smallest amount of egg in soemthing can give him big problems.

I think they have to use an egg substitute for cooking however it gives him problems when eating out.
Old 26 November 2004, 01:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yes, there that many foods with eggs in the ingredients of many processed food, it could be a right pain. But from what I can conclude, it's only with foods that contain a large amount of eggs (i.e small quantities thankfully don't seem to have a noticable effect). At least now I know what is specifically the trigger to problem I can go back to the doctors and get something more specific than being written off as stress (although perhaps the allergy was triggered by stress?).

Marmite!!???!! YUK!! As you can guess I never touch the stuff. But I do occasionally suffer from acid indigestion. Now that is usually caused by acidic drinks (like very tarty orange juice or nasty cheap/heavy wines) or foods (normally hot mexican, chilli type foods - Indian is ok usually ), Now I know that is partly stress related, as I pretty much can guarantee it happens when I am stressed. Nothing that sucking a few rennies don't cure. But I always thought there maybe a link with the throat problem, but it never occured at the same time it was either one or the other.

Thankfully, it's not got to the stage where it's painful. Just as well it is not a severe reaction yet as there that many egg related foods out there wouldn't be much foods that I could eat!