Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tracker - poor value and increasingly ineffective?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2004, 09:20 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker - poor value and increasingly ineffective?

A friend with a Merc needs to decide on a Tracker subscription issue on his new 'used' car. Tracker want £325.00 to take over the subscription for life (or £30 + £109 pa). In as much that it is a stinging rip-off to make any previous life subscription non-transferrable I also doubt their effectiveness these days. Thieves are aware of them and and do disable them. I also doubt the sanity and effectiveness of fitting any visible GPS receiver...

Any thoughts as I think a shotgun would be a better investment for him
Old 17 November 2004, 09:24 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

someone summed this up for me really well last week.

if someone steals your car rags the hell out of it, and does god knows what in it, would you really want it back? cus if you get a tracker pay for it and its subscriptions then thats exactly whats going to happen!!!

goto tesco insurance they dont need trackers or alarms.

james
Old 17 November 2004, 09:36 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

after running my car for over six months with the tracker inoperative without knowing it, and finding out they dont have any procedures to test them to see if they are working, i would say they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
Old 17 November 2004, 09:45 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

When i bought my P1 it took 6 weeks of phone calls and emails to get my Trackstar activated. 2 months on, i've got a certificate of fitting but still no welcome letter or any advice whatsoever on what to do (numbers to call etc.) if it gets nicked.

As far as i understand, if it gets hotwired and stolen then the Trackstar doesn't even go into "help i'm being stolen" mode, that only happens if it's moved without the ignition on. Once the crim has parked it up the system goes into sleep mode after 6 hours, once that happens even if you report it stolen they cant find it.

Annoying thing is L&V don't even require one for the insurance, i wouldn't want the car back anyway if it was nicked and ragged. Deffo won't be getting one for my next Scoob.

Waste of money IMO, unless you absolutely NEED one to get insurance.
Old 17 November 2004, 10:33 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Cancelled my subs for Tracker.

Living on the Isle of Wight I use the ferry frequently, not once did Tracker call me to ask if my car was being stolen, the movment sets the alarm off ! When I enquired I was told that a ferries movement was not the same as a low loader ! and that the Isle of Wight was outside of the UK !!!. Wasnt impressed with the service so got a full refund for subs.

J.
Old 17 November 2004, 10:49 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Isle of Wight was outside of the UK
PMSL! They're having a laugh right? Could spit on the Isle of Wight from my house in Southampton