Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog kennell winter fillings - insulation??

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2004, 04:35 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dog kennell winter fillings - insulation??

have my little monster outside (2yr old lab bitch) in a kennell and its now starting to get cold, she cant have straw cost its causes havoc with her eyes.....any ideas she curretly has a duvet and a few rugs but i know this is no good for dampness - what do poeple use, have neard of something called Vetbed ???
Anything else scoobynetters ???????

Cheers......
Old 11 November 2004, 04:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

You really need bedding on top of a plinth so that air can circulate underneath.

My dogs are happiest with nothing down on their wooden built plinth on a concrete floor, but then again their kennel block is heated.

Old blankets are fine though.
Old 11 November 2004, 04:41 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

My parents used to use VetBed very good, kinda looks like a sheepskin rug it can be washed in the machine etc but we were also lucky as we could use straw and it didn't affect the dogs, another tip is try and get an old fashioned hot water bottle, the ceramic ones, then wrap it up in a couple of blankets or old beach towels so pooch doesn't burn itself.

John.
Old 11 November 2004, 05:03 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumb statement, but a Karrimat? Buy non-brand ones for peanuts these days, and I thought that was what stopped campers suffering from damp. Then blankets etc on top.

We just bought an ultra-cheap (5 euros!!) synthetic quilt from Ikea, folded it in four, fixed the corners, and lo! warm washable dog bed! Wifey's knocked up a couple of covers made from permanently borrowed airline blankets. That's for indoors though.
Old 11 November 2004, 05:17 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Question

cheers guys some good ones , the kennell itself is actually raised up off the ground on four breeze blocks - dont think i get get anything inside to create a gap between the kennell floor and what she lies on unless i build some sort of a parcel shelf type thing ??????

she had a dog platic heater heat pad thing that went in the microwave last year which she eventually chewed !!
Old 11 November 2004, 07:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Vetbed, very good stuff. Nice n warm, machine washable.
Old 11 November 2004, 09:02 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously it helps if the kennel stands on a couple of battons to allow air underneath and reduce the chance of moisture seeping in from below. I have creosoted Tess's kennel liberally on the outside. The whole thing is double skinned, with an air gap including the double slopping roof which is also felt covered.
Bedding is a supply of old house bedding, blankets and sheets, some donated or replenished by friends. She has a habbit of dragging them out to lie on around the yard or garden. She will fetch them back into her kennel if told but does not have the sense to do that when it rains. When they get wet I put them in the garage to dry before returning to "her house" or after a while put them in the washing machine. There is always more bedding in the system than she needs. Sheets and blankets (or bits of them) are easy to pick up and do not cause the mess that I initially experienced with straw.
Last winter I looked out the bedroom window one morning. It had snowed quite heavily through the night. I wondered what the mound in the middle of the yard could be and when I went down and opened the back door the mound moved and up stood Tess, shook her self down and came over wagging her tail. She had pulled a blanket to where she wanted to lie, curled up and gone to sleep in the snow.
Old 11 November 2004, 09:06 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S. Put a double floor in on top of the existing, in sections if necessary, preferably using wood.
Old 12 November 2004, 09:36 AM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

shredded paper is a good alternative to straw
Old 12 November 2004, 09:42 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

vetbed...good