Pet hates rant...

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2004, 12:25 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pet hates rant...

I know there's bigger things to worry about, but...

1) They're called FOG lights for a reason. They're not called 'Drive round with 'em on all the bleeding time 'cos it makes you look cool' lights.

2) Lanes 2 and 3 are for overtaking. If you're not in lane 1 and you're not overtaking you're in the wrong. (Having a vehicle moving .01 MPH slower than you half a mile ahead in lane 1 does not constitute an overtaking manouever)

3) There's a law against using a hand-held mobile while you're driving.

If I see someone holding their phone to their ear with one hand, a BigMac in their other hand steering with their knees in lane 2 of an empty and clear M62 and with their fog lights on, I'm gonna give them a funny look and a bit of horn, okay Mr Alfa!
Old 10 November 2004, 12:32 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an alfa last time.

what really gets my rag is people riding push bikes with there mates side by side. when they should be single file. next time i see one of those morons, ile ile ile, swear at them with the window up and the doors locked! so there
Old 10 November 2004, 04:35 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I Agree with Sticky

The fog lamp thing really pee's me off
Old 10 November 2004, 07:55 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Front fog lamps are attention seeking deficit without a doubt
Old 10 November 2004, 07:58 AM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
I had an alfa last time.

what really gets my rag is people riding push bikes with there mates side by side. when they should be single file. next time i see one of those morons, ile ile ile, swear at them with the window up and the doors locked! so there
I'm no cyclist (not enough BHP in my legs!) but 'fraid the highway code says that unless the road is v busy cyclists must not ride more than two abreast. Probably makes sense as they will get treated like a full width motor in terms of folk trying to overtake, instead of some numpty trying to squeeze past and knocking them into a ditch!!!
PS I'm not usually this pedantic!
Old 10 November 2004, 08:14 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

What selfish drivers like you tend to forget is that cyclists have as much right to be on the public road as cars. Try to treat other road users with the respect they deserve instead of thinking that you and only you has exclusive rights to get to where you are going as quickly as possible.

Remember, it is a PUBLIC road, not a private road. If you want to apply your own rules & laws, build your own road and drive on that.

As stated above, the highway code says it is ok, so long as not more than two a breast. Most reasonable cyclists I know only cycle two-a-breast rarely, and if they do, they will NOT deliberately cause a tailback.

Interestingly, police horse riders often ride two-a-breast (as do police motorcyclists), yet I bet you wouldn't shout out your car window at them
Old 10 November 2004, 08:24 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Did imlach just call somebody selfish???

Old 10 November 2004, 08:31 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Did imlach just call somebody selfish???
Did I miss something?
Old 10 November 2004, 08:33 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

What selfish drivers like you tend to forget is that cyclists have as much right to be on the public road as cars.
Although they shouldn't have unless they are paying road tax and have insurance!
Old 10 November 2004, 08:38 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Cyclists who have been using designated cycle path and when it runs out, just pull out on to the road without even checking that it's ok to do so. Kids are the worst for doing that.
Old 10 November 2004, 08:41 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Although they shouldn't have unless they are paying road tax and have insurance!
Road tax would cause less people to cycle - which goes against the goverments environmental policies. Anyway, if looking at things purely from a "damage to roads" point of view, a bicycle causes miniscule wear and tear on the roads compared to a car. There is also no environmental pollution.

Insurance is available to cyclists for 3rd party protection. Remember, you have every right to take legal action against any cyclist that causes damage to you on the road. Admittedly, identification is an issue but to resolve that would require number plates for bikes. I suspect that is never likely to happen.

Out of interest, do horses require to be insured for the road?
Old 10 November 2004, 08:49 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Hey Redkop.....what's happened to your MSN? Technical issues?
Old 10 November 2004, 08:51 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Must admit I hate pets as well.
Old 10 November 2004, 08:53 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Originally Posted by imlach
There is also no environmental pollution.
Although there was a guy on the Jeremy Vine show last week tried arguing that a cyclist exhaled more co2 than a small hatchback on an equivalent journey.
Old 10 November 2004, 08:54 AM
Pbr
Scooby Regular

When is there ever a need for cyclists to ride two abreast? I cycle frequently with friends and never feel the need to hold up traffic by doing this.
Old 10 November 2004, 08:56 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pbr
When is there ever a need for cyclists to ride two abreast? I cycle frequently with friends and never feel the need to hold up traffic by doing this.
Admittedly it is unusual to feel the need to do it in town, but if cycling down a quiet country lane, it is nice to have a conversation with your cycling buddy.....most decent cyclists do form single-file whenever there is a "car up" or "car on" though.......
Old 10 November 2004, 08:57 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Set window washer to 90 degrees left then spray as you passing - usually gets the message accross.
Old 10 November 2004, 08:58 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
Set window washer to 90 degrees left then spray as you passing - usually gets the message accross.
So long as there aren't any junctions up ahead when the water-bottle spraying cyclist catches up with you Handy hint - watch out in summer if your sunroof is open - hehehehehe
Old 10 November 2004, 09:03 AM
Pbr
Scooby Regular

To be fair, most car drivers give me plenty of room when they pass, helped by me keeping tight left at all times. It's pedestrians on designated off road cycle paths not moving to give me space to go past despite having seen me in plenty of time that annoy me!
Old 10 November 2004, 09:05 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Drivers that follow cyclists an inch off their back wheel, seemingly unable to pass because "there isn't enough space". FFS it's not the Monaco GP!

Then when they do find a gap big enough to overtake, they're so close they need to do a 90 degree right hand turn to pull out with the required clearance (because they have no idea how wide their car is), followed by a 90 degree left hand turn to pull paralell again, and of course they can't start "accelerating" until they're done all that.

To top it all, they think it's necessary to give about 10 feet of clearance and still pass at a walking pace, presumably so they don't "spook" the excitable cyclist (they aren't horses you know ) whos obviously blissfully unaware that a car has been right on their ar$e for the last 2 minutes.

I do a lot of cycling and the thing that REALLY winds me up is a car crawling along behind me "unable" to overtake for ages, FFS i'm only doing 20mph!!! Aaaaarrgggghhhh.

Whew, must calm down now...
Old 10 November 2004, 09:07 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

got a few pet hates but cant be bothered to go through them, although I dont do it, not all cars have FOG lights, some are DRIVING LAMPS .... so there lol
Old 10 November 2004, 09:12 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Hey Redkop.....what's happened to your MSN? Technical issues?
errrm - normal service will be resumed today
Old 10 November 2004, 09:12 AM
Pbr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I do a lot of cycling and the thing that REALLY winds me up is a car crawling along behind me "unable" to overtake for ages, FFS i'm only doing 20mph!!! Aaaaarrgggghhhh.
Very true, I once had one trail me for ages, and then when it did pass (on an average A-road) the entire car was on the other side of the white lines!!!
Old 10 November 2004, 09:15 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Sitting in a line of traffic and a cyclist who tries to squeeze through on your nearside, invariably when there isn't enough room and always catches your wing mirror!
Old 10 November 2004, 09:21 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
got a few pet hates but cant be bothered to go through them, although I dont do it, not all cars have FOG lights, some are DRIVING LAMPS .... so there lol
Driving lamps only come on with headlamp main beams, so if someone is coming towards you with driving lamps on, they are even more of a **** as they mush have the main beams on as well.

Any lights of 55 watts or over with a centreline less than (something like) 24 inches above ground should only be used in visibility of less than 100 yards/metres. ie. they are FOG lamps.
Old 10 November 2004, 09:28 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

is it me though, the more light you emit into fog the less you can see, so whats the point in fog lights?
Old 10 November 2004, 09:30 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

What selfish drivers like you tend to forget is that cyclists have as much right to be on the public road as cars. Try to treat other road users with the respect they deserve instead of thinking that you and only you has exclusive rights to get to where you are going as quickly as possible.
yeah because you have never got pi55ed off with a cyclist!
Old 10 November 2004, 09:41 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
is it me though, the more light you emit into fog the less you can see, so whats the point in fog lights?
It's true that fog reflects light. Fog lights direct their beams downwards so you should be able to see what's immedaitely in front. They can be useful at low speeds in reduced visibility. In other circumstances they just scream out that the driver is a tosser.
Old 10 November 2004, 09:51 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Remember, it is a PUBLIC road, not a private road. If you want to apply your own rules & laws, build your own road and drive on that.

As stated above, the highway code says it is ok, so long as not more than two a breast. Most reasonable cyclists I know only cycle two-a-breast rarely, and if they do, they will NOT deliberately cause a tailback.

Interestingly, police horse riders often ride two-a-breast (as do police motorcyclists), yet I bet you wouldn't shout out your car window at them
French United Connection Kingdom Oh Friday Feeling.

Old 10 November 2004, 09:54 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

French United Connection Kingdom Oh Friday Feeling.

Simpletons dominating the Scoobynet community again I see.....

Quick Reply: Pet hates rant...