Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advanced Driving Questions ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2004, 05:52 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Driving Questions ?

Im looking to find out if its compulsory to indicate when approaching a left hand turn off a main road into a side street when there is no traffic approaching/following or at the junction ?
If anyone has details or knows of a site where i might find out then please post link/url or email me.... thanks
Old 08 November 2004, 06:07 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

IAM say only indicate when someone will/could benefit from it, so in your example you wouldn't indicate. NB 'Someone' can include pedestrains.
Old 08 November 2004, 06:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
IAM say only indicate when someone will/could benefit from it, so in your example you wouldn't indicate. NB 'Someone' can include pedestrains.
I can second that. If your scenario involves a filter lane it isnt necessary to indicate if I remember correctly; as your being in the lane implies that you will turn in that direction.

Simon
Old 08 November 2004, 06:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Def good advice to indicate even if you are in a filter lane: you mat be aware of the road layout, other road users new to the area and pedestrians may not!

That said, I always look both ways before crossing a one-way street! :-)

Best.
Old 08 November 2004, 07:02 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
True is IAM advice but I remember that in an IAM talk a few years ago a Police class 1 driver from our area told us that other forces taught their drivers to always indicate even if no one to benefit. Two views, always indicate and you don't forget or think about the situation and decide. Any Police drivers around to give view?
Old 08 November 2004, 07:16 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I'd say it's not compulsory to indicate if there's no others around. However,I've got myself into the habit of indicating as, however good my powers of observation, I may miss something. No-one is infallible.
Old 08 November 2004, 07:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

My IAM instructor had a very simple policy: everything you do, do it for a reason. This included indicating - there's no need to do it if nobody will see you.

His other bugbear was unnecessary gear changes; I used to always change down one gear at a time when slowing for a junction - now I slow down, and only then change to the right gear for the junction. My clutch has thanked me ever since.
Old 08 November 2004, 08:00 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
My IAM instructor had a very simple policy: everything you do, do it for a reason. This included indicating - there's no need to do it if nobody will see you.

His other bugbear was unnecessary gear changes; I used to always change down one gear at a time when slowing for a junction - now I slow down, and only then change to the right gear for the junction. My clutch has thanked me ever since.
Ah well how you use gears can show your age. In the days of poor braking systems going down the gears to help slowing down was considered the way but as brakes improved it changed to the system you have described plus it is cheaper to replace brake parts than gearbox parts!