Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Caught Speeding, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2004, 03:10 PM
G4RUD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caught Speeding, what to do?

I got pulled over by an unmarked car on the road between Perth and Dundee. I'm not going to complain about being told I'll get 3 points and a 60 quid fine for averaging 89.6 mph. What annoys me is the fact that both Police Officers said that I wasn't "going that fast" and that the speeding ticket was a formality.

The Officer that wrote down my address on the ticket (copying it from my licence) managed to spell the address wrongly.

I expect that this error does not make the ticket void but it does leave the opportunity to write to Tayside Police to question this Officer's ability to read what speed a person is doing when they clearly lack the ability to spell.

Graham

just venting my anger...those sneaky c**** in their X reg Dark Green BMW 3 series...
Old 08 November 2004, 03:17 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Take it like a man

Go on, admit it, your pissed at yourself for not seeing the two gits in the car with the funny ariels
Old 08 November 2004, 03:22 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

No good mate. I had a couple of coppers down in Southend, stop me for 'going through a red light' (which was amber!!!), one officer could not read my reg. number to do a PNC check (bearing in mind my number plate is legal!!), I ended up reading it to him. The other officer didn't know where he was, and asked me where he was as well.

I asked for this to go to court, thinking justice would prevail ........ The hell it did !!!! Have thought since, that I probably would have been better putting my right foot down and leaving the scum !!!!!

I would say, just suffer the points and fine.

a disgruntled Nate.
Old 08 November 2004, 03:30 PM
G4RUD
Scooby Regular

I accept the points, as I know I was speeding. Nevertheless, I feel like sending a cheeky letter to the brains at Tayside Police.

Graham

I'm just glad they didn't see some of the speeds I was doing over the weekend on my Aberdeen to Bath journey.
Old 08 November 2004, 03:32 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G4RUD
I accept the points, as I know I was speeding. Nevertheless, I feel like sending a cheeky letter to the brains at Tayside Police.

Graham

I'm just glad they didn't see some of the speeds I was doing over the weekend on my Aberdeen to Bath journey.

They know now dont they!
Old 08 November 2004, 03:39 PM
Pork.E.Pie
Scooby Newbie

The last time I got caught on the bike, I was promised a fixed penalty. Three months later 5 points and a £250 fine in court, I should have appealed, no video evidence! Two coppers apparently does not constitute proof.
Old 08 November 2004, 03:52 PM
G4RUD
Scooby Regular

They had a screen in the car linked to a camera. Whether or not they were recording me is a mystery (you know what women are like with technology!!)

I might ask to see that their device was calibrated recently but that's about all I can do. Apart from taking the **** out of their spelling abilities!

Graham
Old 08 November 2004, 04:34 PM
Baggers
Scooby Regular

Normally best not to argue the your case, just be polite and take it on the chin, bad luck.
Old 10 November 2004, 03:39 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Just found this and thought of you .....

The Future of speeding.

Nate.
Old 10 November 2004, 04:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by G4RUD

Graham

Brains???? What Brains????? They're just mindless monkeys, tamely following governemnt piolicy, and laughing all the way to the bank

Alcazar
Old 10 November 2004, 06:21 PM
SCOOBY 786
Scooby Newbie

If they were recording they always show you...So my bet is that they havent got u on tape\\\
Old 10 November 2004, 07:38 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

X reg Dark Green BMW 3 series............Tayside

Noted, thank you
Old 10 November 2004, 10:34 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Two coppers does constitute proof.

In truth if there are two of them they don't need video, radar or laser. If two police officers form the opinion that you are speeding then the law dictates that you are guilty of the crime of exceeding the speed limit. The various video and laser systems are just to allow them to quantify the crime and speed up their income from it but they are not necessary to get a conviction. If the two officers had to go to court to testify every time they spotted someone breaking the limit this would severely limit their revenue generation capability, hence the automated gear to record your speed etc.

That they got your address wrong will not prevent a successful prosecution as the law allows for this "slip."

It is likely, however, that they did video the whole thing and you should ask to see the WHOLE video tape for the WHOLE shift to confirm that there is nothing dodgy about it. You are not entitled to this unless you plead not guilty and many forces will fight all the way with all sorts of lame excuses for not giving it to you. However, some forces will let you have it even before you enter a plea.

I am aware of one case where the motorist got the WHOLE video of the shift to find that their highly sensitive speed measuring gear recorded a dog travelling at 70mph. This was on a part of the video somewhat removed from his "capture." As far as I am aware when this was presented to the CPS they withdrew before the matter was discussed in open court.
Old 11 November 2004, 12:16 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

ACPO guidline says that up to 86 in a 60 should get a Conditional Offer, anything higher should go to court.
They gave you a CO for 89.6 so I'd just take it as things could have been a lot worse, and in other police force areas would have been.
I hate the way they enforce the things too but it is illegal. Instead of complainging about cameras we should be campaigning for the law to be changed.
Old 15 November 2004, 12:52 AM
G4RUD
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Lum
ACPO guidline says that up to 86 in a 60 should get a Conditional Offer, anything higher should go to court.
They gave you a CO for 89.6 so I'd just take it as things could have been a lot worse, and in other police force areas would have been.
I hate the way they enforce the things too but it is illegal. Instead of complainging about cameras we should be campaigning for the law to be changed.

I was doing 89.6 average in a 70.

I think it may be time to buy an Apache helicopter and get some revenge on these sneaky unmarked cop cars! So, if anyone fancies donating to this just cause then please drop me a PM.

Graham