Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you feel closer to the US or Europe and why

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2004, 09:46 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you feel closer to the US or Europe and why

Following on from this mornings Radio 5 lives discussion on this very subject.
Old 29 October 2004, 10:17 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not forgetting to explain that Europe means mainland Europe, of course...

Europe. Studied French and German at school, cycled round France and Germany for a month when I was 15. Lived in Brussels for 2 years, now in Lisbon for 3.

Never had any interest in going to the US, and even less so with GWB at the helm. Went there twice, thoroughly underwelmed both times. Much preferred Canada.
Old 29 October 2004, 10:34 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Definitely Europe, on the basis that it's much more accessible, and the languages are more intelligible...
Old 29 October 2004, 11:17 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Europe, most probably because most of countries evolved the same way we did and were doing the colonial thing back when we were, I think we probably have more in common with the European people than Americans.

The modern US was founded by some religious loonies, in my opinion, and the country is still too overtly religious, seems that they are trying too hard if you see what I mean.

I'm very concerned that America is currently laying down it's own sense of law all over the shop at the moment and I don't think it's very experienced at it. They don't make very good peacekeepers, you usually see Europeans, Australians and Canadians doing that job. I was for the Irag war as Saddam is a complete fruit loop and was killing loads of people just because he could, I'm not one who believes you should ignore things like that just because it's a few thousand miles away.

The US is getting too powerful, mostly cos of it's size, and I think the only way there is going to be another power strong enough to say "no you can't do that" is if we have a Federal Europe, with Russia as part of it. A lot of people are dead against that as they believe all of the power is going to move from our government to France and Germany but I think that would only happen if we let it happen, we always been far to nice and need to get a little more ruthless.
Old 29 October 2004, 11:31 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

US....i eat their food, watch their movies, speak the same, same attitude and play 6 hrs a day of poker against yanks so earn 50% of my income from them.

If Europe sunk tommorow i wouldnt notice it.

T
Old 29 October 2004, 11:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Europe, because, like us, they are civilised!

Alcazar
Old 29 October 2004, 12:07 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Good one. On the basis of language then the US. However I have friends who are stateside and european and the europeans have much more understanding of the UK, it's culture and people. My American friends don't have a clue, even the guys who have been here or lived here for a while.

I however, have more understanding of teh States than I do of Europe, so a mixed bag really.
Old 29 October 2004, 12:27 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Europe. But I can understand the US link. After all English is supposedly the *official* language, and a lot of them have roots from the Uk and Ireland.

Some people may feel isolated from mainland Eurpoe due to the language barrier, the Brits do seem to have an aversion to studying foreign language, me included
Old 29 October 2004, 02:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have spent a lot of time in mainland Europe and in the States. Its like anywhere in the world, they all have plus and minus points.

When you first visit the USA you think what a wonderful place it is but after a while you begin to see that the culture and society is different and sooner or later begins to pall.

The European countries have so much history tied up in them, like us of course, and I have always got on well with anyone with any of the countries I have been in. People are people after all.

I do however put great store on the fact that I am British since I was born in England and was brought up here for the whole of my formative years.

I value our own culture and way of thinking. I want to remain British since that is where my loyalties lie and always will. I don't want to see us lose our own self determination and definitely don't want to have my life dictated for me by those people in Brussels who like most politicians these days are in it for themselves above all else and are hungry for power and self aggrandisement.

Whatever you think of our present leaders and way of life, I think it is vital that we retain our rights to run our own country. Governments can still be changed if they screw up here whereas we personally would have little or no authority over a European government since our MEP's form such a small percentage of the EU Parliament. Our vote in this country is still the one thing that the goverment fears and respects. That will become more apparent of course as next May approaches!

Trading yes, federation?-big mistake!

Les
Old 29 October 2004, 02:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Europe, why? History. If you take England and Europe their cultures have been around for a hell of a lot longer than the US, and I think that shows.

Despite my rampant Anti-american stance, I do not hate every american, I actually have some very good american friends, as well as relatives, so I know they are not all completley obvlious to the world outside their town or state, and I can understand it sometimes, when you consider the physical size of the place.
Old 29 October 2004, 02:48 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Tiggs
US....i eat their food, watch their movies, speak the same, same attitude and play 6 hrs a day of poker against yanks so earn 50% of my income from them.

If Europe sunk tommorow i wouldnt notice it.

T
You speak the same? What sort of like "Tex" the character from Alan Partridge. Do you wear cowboy boots and a 10 Gallon hat as well?

As far as the question goes I'm a European so therefore I feel closer to Europeans.
Old 29 October 2004, 03:25 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel closer to continental Europe because i've lived out here for the last 11 years and am married to a continental European.

The US used to have ther advantage of being a great ally in times of war, but is now little more than a big bully. I wish it were otherwise, but GWB really made a mess of it.

All IMHO, of course.

Suresh
Old 29 October 2004, 04:32 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Given that the UK is up the USA's backside in the internationally illegal war in Iraq and therefore at the receiving end of terrorist backlash, I feel pushed closer to the US than Europe.

That said, I spent a year working in the USA and about 3 years in various parts of Europe and I still felt closer to the US - probably because of the language ease and the attention I'd get from the Englsih accent
Old 29 October 2004, 05:07 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

history??????

1. I wasnt alive 200 years ago so, quite frankly, dont give a toss what happened.

2. If i was would i not have been at threat at various times from ppl trying to kill me from most of Europe.
Old 29 October 2004, 05:32 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

The USA. I'm a Brit who emigrated there.

I can't believe some people think the British are culturally similar to some parts of mainland Europe.
Old 29 October 2004, 05:41 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Not exactly sure why you have to be one or the other. I'm not polarising myself. We are europeans, our friends are both american and european (and asian, african etc. for that matter).