Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bad Breath

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2004, 08:08 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bad Breath

I started working at a new company 3 weeks ago. The day after my 1st day another guy also started. We are both sharing the same office.
As nice as my new colleague is, his breath abosolutely stinks! I get used to it after a bit but every time I leave the room, then return, the smell hits me! Other members of the company are starting to comment about it.
The Director spoke to me in the kitchen today and said in a light-hearted way "You need to have a word with your new friend about his breath! Does he not brush his teeth in the morning? I offered you both mints earlier as a favour to YOU"
Its hasn't been half as bad this week as he is suffering with a cold and is drinking lemsips quite regularly - which seems to kill some of the odour.

I'm am not moaning about it so please don't read this thread and think I am nit-picking. I only want subtle suggestions as to how the problem should be approached without causing offence. Also to share with other users their similar experiences,

ta

Nick
Old 26 October 2004, 08:12 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Ask him if he's using new Colgate Dog5hit. Subtle enough?

Old 26 October 2004, 08:16 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Tell him he's got death breath and ask if he's bin eatin' **** butties ..

Problem solved, probably never see him again.
Old 26 October 2004, 08:16 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I'll try some of that myself, Craig. We'll clear the whole building between us!

Blimey, 1st response from a guy who lives on the same estate as me.
Old 26 October 2004, 08:17 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Just tell the smelly twát.
Old 26 October 2004, 08:19 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

A very good mate of mine has the breath of a thousand camels, trouble is he is such a nice guy it would be painful to tell him, for risk of hurting his feelings. It doesent help that he is one of those jovial blokes that comes really close when he is having a joke or spinning a yarn. I have seen the coulour drain from peoples faces before now .

He has a full set of false teeth, I found this out a few years ago when I lost my front tooth, I had to wear a pallet while the bridge was being made. We were talking one day and he just popped them out - feckin hideous . I asked him if he popped them in a glass of water overnight - no was his reply, he just brushed them while they were in his mouth EEEEEUUUUURRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH - there must have been food behind his falsies from the dawn of time <barf>

I'm used to it, I just move away discreteley.
Old 26 October 2004, 08:33 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Just ask if he has a tooth or gum infection. He may not be aware his breath is bad. A subtle way like this will allow you to broach the subject without risk of getting flattened.

I had bad breath and didn't know it. People were **** scared of telling me. I could be errrr, volatile. I realised when several people offered me mints. Now I keep mints with me.
Old 26 October 2004, 08:46 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Are you his supervisor? If not then you should tell his supervisor, and if he has a professional attitude to his work, he will broach the subject with your colleague.
Old 28 October 2004, 05:59 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

No I'm not his supervisor. But I have the "pleasure" of sharing an office with him. Our office is now known as The Pig Stye or Compost Corner.
The boss has already hinted by offering him mints.

Nick
Old 28 October 2004, 06:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its funny, it must be part of the job description for certain roles at our place.

No excuse for it normally, though certain health problems and medications can cause it, I spent a charming afternoon with a lady at work who was on some kind of medication that made her breath smell like farts, she told me and apologised about in advance but still sat way too close 'rifting' at me every ten minutes, hemmed into a corner I was.
Old 28 October 2004, 06:56 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mj
A very good mate of mine has the breath of a thousand camels, trouble is he is such a nice guy it would be painful to tell him, for risk of hurting his feelings. It doesent help that he is one of those jovial blokes that comes really close when he is having a joke or spinning a yarn. I have seen the coulour drain from peoples faces before now .

He has a full set of false teeth, I found this out a few years ago when I lost my front tooth, I had to wear a pallet while the bridge was being made. We were talking one day and he just popped them out - feckin hideous . I asked him if he popped them in a glass of water overnight - no was his reply, he just brushed them while they were in his mouth EEEEEUUUUURRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH - there must have been food behind his falsies from the dawn of time <barf>

I'm used to it, I just move away discreteley.
How big was this "pallet" you had to wear while your bridge was being made.
Old 28 October 2004, 07:07 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Be honest with him.
Old 28 October 2004, 07:33 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

ok I'll be honest , it was about the same shape as the roof of my mouth
Old 28 October 2004, 07:36 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I too work with someone with a bad breath, he also smokes. Youd think that after cleaning his teeth the smell would go lol
Old 28 October 2004, 08:16 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

dont tell him yourself - its not your job. ask his supervisor to, or ask human resources to - thats one of the reasons they're there for. they'll have had to do this before no doubt and will know how to handle it. they probably have the relevant training in these delicate matters.

not saying u should always pass the buck on everthing, but theres no sense in u having to feel awkward speaking to him about it when u dont need to.
Old 28 October 2004, 08:18 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Eat a shedload of garlic tonight then go in tomorrow and stand close to him whilst breathing hard. If he says anything you know he'll understand if you reciprocate.

Seems fair.
Old 28 October 2004, 08:25 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

how many work in the office?

why not leave an anonymous note in his desk drawer, politeley saying that his breath is somewhat savage on the nostrils, maybe he needs to see a dentist.

It possible he has a problem with his wisdom teeth, my GF has at the moment and she ****in honks ( they are coming out next week ). Tis not all bad though, it's an ideal excuse not to have to kiss her .
Old 28 October 2004, 09:30 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thank the Japanese They have the answer to your problem. Just leave one of these on your colleagues desk
Old 28 October 2004, 10:08 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

offer him a sandwich,if he declines then bingo!

he's on Atkins
Old 28 October 2004, 10:32 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Yip - its one for the boss to deal with - the "Someone's mentioned" routine... easy peasy unless ya the boss