Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Miscarriage

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2004, 06:16 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Miscarriage

We just found out yesterday that my partner has had a miscarriage.

Apparently she was 9 weeks pregnant but the baby is only 7 weeks, so it's been dead about 2 weeks.

We were so happy (after the initial shock, it wasn't exactly planned) when we found out she was pregnant, which was also 2 weeks ago, and now we're in pieces. She started bleeding on Thursday, and a scan yesterday told us the bad news.

She's got to go in for the op tomorrow to have the baby removed, which I think is when it will hit her the most. She's been pretty strong about it up to now.

I've read in the leaflets we've been given that 1 in 5 go wrong. That's an awfully high percentage.

Did a bit of retail therapy today to take our minds off things, but man, I'm no good at coping with death.

Hopefully we'll try again soon, but for now, we're just so miserable.

Sorry for bringing everything down, just had to get it off my chest.

Andy.
Old 26 October 2004, 06:24 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that and I hope you and your partner get through this.

Just rememeber that when these 'bad' things come along in life they seem unbearable at the time but a few months from now and it eases and a few months from then its little more than a bad memory

I think the reason the % is so high is because a lot of pregnancies end almost before they start and often the women won't even have know she's just had a failed pregnancy.
Old 26 October 2004, 06:25 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Deepest condolences. Nothing you did could have caused it. They say sometimes it just happens.

Went through that last year @ 8 weeks when were were in holiday in South Africa. We were both devestated too, but started trying again a couple of months later.

On the bright side, we are now parents of a two month old lovely bouncing baby boy. So hang in there and keep on trying when it feels right again.

Suresh
Old 26 October 2004, 06:32 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

I really feel for you and your partner Andy Its a horrible experience.
Old 26 October 2004, 06:33 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Best wishes to you and your partner at this hard time. Been through it twice and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Old 26 October 2004, 06:37 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

I'm better today than I was yesterday, I was just a wreck then.

Our family and friends have been really supportive, and our lass has received a few bunches of flowers from our friends, and her work mates. Doesn't stop the hurt, but every little helps.

We already have a 2 and a half year old lad, and he's been treat extra special, especially by me, set up my old Scalextric with him for the first time. He's a bit too young, but it takes my mind off stuff, and he thinks it's great.

Man, life can be a b@stard sometimes.

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 26 October 2004, 09:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Andy. I'm just looking after my wife at home who has just had one last Thursday @ 8 weeks. She had a very unpleasant hospital experience to add to it (no common language, but also no sign of caring), so she's very fragile ATM.

Best wishes.
Old 26 October 2004, 09:54 PM
yvette296
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Walwal
Thanks guys.

I'm better today than I was yesterday, I was just a wreck then.

Our family and friends have been really supportive, and our lass has received a few bunches of flowers from our friends, and her work mates. Doesn't stop the hurt, but every little helps.

We already have a 2 and a half year old lad, and he's been treat extra special, especially by me, set up my old Scalextric with him for the first time. He's a bit too young, but it takes my mind off stuff, and he thinks it's great.

Man, life can be a b@stard sometimes.

Cheers,

Andy.
whilst it doesn't help at the mo, sometimes this can be natures way of dealing with things. I have suffered very badly over the years and have had 11 miscarriages. it takes it's toll on you and it probably will not hit you or your partner for a few days.

the only advice is follow your own "grief pattern" as everyone reacts differently. Also, please take up the offer of counselling if offered. You may not think it will help either of you, but the counsellor will be trained to listen and you will be extremely grateful of his/her help over the coming days/weeks. You will never actually "get over" the death of your baby but the old cliche of time heals is true and over time the pain will become less. Please feel free to PM me at any time if you want/need a chat.

All the best to you & especially to your partner. The hospital is one of the worst bits and once this is over you can gradually try & come to terms with things.

All the best. x
Old 26 October 2004, 09:59 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Kinda lost for words really

All my very best wishes to you both.

Matt
Old 26 October 2004, 10:08 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Was talking to a work colleague today. 18 miscarriages, and then had a healthy baby boy which was born at 23 weeks
He survived, but not sure how the mother made it through 18 miscarriages....took some resolve.....
Old 26 October 2004, 10:19 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Old 26 October 2004, 10:37 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Yvette, 11 miscarriages!!! How did you cope with all of them?? I'm in bits after just 1. My hat goes off to you.

And Imlach, 18!!! How she ever got through that is incredible.

Thanks all,

Andy.