Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Careless pedestrians

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2004, 04:51 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Careless pedestrians

This afternoon I was waiting at the traffic lights at cross roads in a busy town centre.As soon as the light turned green, carefully I moved forward.Out of nowhere a middle aged man came running from left to right in front of my car.My daughter in passanger seat screamed & I slammed the breaks so f*cking hard to save that stupid man.He was making the signs of great apologies to me saying it was his fault etc.But I was so shocked and whiplashed as well that I just wanted to get out of the car and give him absolutely mouthful for causing nearly an accident and surely,much distress just because he wanted to cross over as soon as he could, never mind moving cars!
There should be pedestrian lessons in place for people like him......
Old 26 October 2004, 05:11 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Obviously after a Darwin award.
Old 26 October 2004, 05:27 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Fu*k em. I accelerate for idiot pedestrians. Its amusing to see a funny turn of speed out of em!

One stood still and jumped literally at the last moment.

Hilarious
Old 26 October 2004, 05:32 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

run him over, ten points
Old 26 October 2004, 06:02 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

It's the way the hand shows, palm towards you, thinking they have some mystical power that will bring you to a halt whilst they toddle across the road. Maybe it's like the vulcan greeting off Star Trek

It's amazing how quickly they can move when you show little sign of stopping completely!!!
Old 27 October 2004, 12:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Happens all the time these days. I'm fed up with saving their lives!

Les
Old 27 October 2004, 12:57 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone did that to me a couple of years ago

he spent a couple of weeks in hospital, I was in shock for a week, and it toook me a year or so to be confident driving round town centres again (especially around London, where it happened)

I thought I had killed him, and that I would go to jail for manslaughter !!

His cousin saw it all happen, as she got off the bus behind me

the Police came, and asked if I wanted to sue him
Old 27 October 2004, 08:44 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

According to police and government figures over 80% of pedestrians struck by vehicles "enter the carriageway without looking."

This is hardly the picture the various left/green nutter groups like to paint of us motorists mowing down the soft gentle eco-friendly pedestrian. It is a great shame that kids are no longer taught the Green Cross Code and made to be members of the Tufty Club. These lessons have been replaced by classes in filling out claim forms and DLA applications should they get knocked down.

It is extremely rare for a vehicle to enter the walkway to knock down a pedestrian but fairly common for a pedestrian to randomly, and without looking, wander out into the carriageway occupied vehicles. Despite this the average impact speed with a pedestrian in the UK is slightly less than 12mph showing that most motorists are looking out not just for themselves but also for the pedestrian.
Old 27 October 2004, 12:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The worrying bit is that when they do step into the road without looking , it is considered to be the drivers fault just for being on the road as well! They seem to think that they have an absolute right to step in front of a car and it is the duty of the driver to miss them regardless.

As you say-time for a bit of education from an early age.

Les
Old 27 October 2004, 12:49 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I've definitely noticed that some pedestrians beleive that pedestrian crossings (the ones without the traffic lights) bestow them with some sort of super human powers. The walk straight out onto them regardless of the traffic.

I know that according to the highway code motorists have to stop if there's a pedestrian on a crossing - but just launching out regardless is simply not sporting!
Old 27 October 2004, 01:32 PM
03-CTR
Scooby Regular

afaik the new law comming out states that running over children will be the fault of the driver whatever the circumstances as children cannot be expected to have any road sense.

i can definitely see the logic in this but this no way applies to adult pedestrians. i do have a tendency to pootle round residential areas tho as it ain't worth going fast imo
Old 27 October 2004, 01:36 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Many moons ago I had a group of children playing chicken with cars in the town centre. It was fairly late at night and the only reason I saw them was because the car in front's headlights shone on them as he hit the brakes.

Well, they saw me coming and did the chicken thing, so I changed down from 5th to 3rd and I'm sure they thought I was accelerating towards them as they all jumped out of the way with panicked looks on their faces and when I came back down the road a few minutes later, they'd all gone...
Old 27 October 2004, 01:37 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I understood that the law effectivley states that a pedestrain has ultimate right of way as soon as they step into a carriageway.
Old 27 October 2004, 01:55 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
I understood that the law effectivley states that a pedestrain has ultimate right of way as soon as they step into a carriageway.
I believe the laws of physics state that in such circumstances large motor vehicles are most likely to be come off better.......
Old 27 October 2004, 02:52 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

thats what i said the other day

& thats what she said too....

if they dont care about themselves & put their lives in other peoples hands then let them get run over....
Old 27 October 2004, 02:55 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

crazy fools!
Old 28 October 2004, 02:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That business about children not being expected to have any roadsense it terrible. If you don't teach them of course not but the whole idea is that children need to be taught how to deal with life, and roadsense is extremely important. If they are taught as they used to be then they will be careful near the roads even when very young.

It is a dreadful dereliction of duty not to educate children at school about road safety. You can even teach animals to be careful by a road for goodness sake!

Les