Sponsored by:

I think I just saved 3 lives...

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2002, 05:27 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I saved, quite possibly, the lives of 2 pedestrians and a motorcyclist a few moments ago.

My gf and I were standing waiting to cross at a set of lights in C.London, next to a couple in their mid/late 50's. The traffic had cleared from the right (except a yellow motorbike a few hundred yards away). All four of us were about to cross, to the pedestrian refuge in the middle, when a pushbike turned left on a red light [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] so we all stopped until she had gone past. However, the other couple continued to cross despite the motorbike, which was now perilously close (because he was speeding, he covered the distance fairly quickly). I had to shout "Look out!" 3 times - with increaing volume and urgency - before they looked to their right, saw the motorbike and stopped. At least the gentleman of the couple turned to me (despite his obvious embarrassment) and said thank you.

Several things struck about this near (and probably fatal) accident:

a) Even experienced and fairly switched on people can walk out in front of traffic.

b) Motorbikes (even bright yellow ones!) are invisible to all road users.

c) Drivers/riders should slow down when approaching pedstrian crossings, even if they have a green light - especially if pedestrians are waiting to cross. The motorbike was going well over the 30 mph speed limit and he showed no sign of slowing for the pedestrians in the road either. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

d) Cyclists do not have the right to jump red lights (all four of us could have been hit be this cyclist because we didn't expect anyone breaking the law to suddenly appear).

e) Central London is full of country folk today and there is the very real possibilty that many of them are unused to roads as busy as Central London is today. Therefore, motor vehicle drivers should drive accordingly.

Mods, I know this is not Scooby related, but it is safety related and I'd appreciate if it could be left here (where most of us come first) for a while.
Old 22 September 2002, 05:50 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Drove through the City today, which was chaos due to the march, the Nike 10k run, and dear old Ken the reptile lover deciding to support the International leave your car at home day and close many roads in London

As usual, it was full of moron drivers who, if their door mirrors aren't already broken don't bother using them anyway

Special thanks to the nobber in the white Astra on the M11 approach road that tried to undertake me long after I had already been indicating to pull over into the inside lane
Old 22 September 2002, 06:22 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I agree the city was bad today, worse than a normal sunday

Dave TS up up for a lunch time beer sometime soon ??

Old 22 September 2002, 07:16 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

Honestly I have noticed this, driving through towns poeple step out/pull out in front of the fiesta but dont in the scoob. People say they dont like noisy/boy racer exhausts but how many accidents have been avoided by people hearing you coming, they may not like it but at least they are still alive to moan about it.
Old 22 September 2002, 09:23 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Barge
Good idea - i'll try to make it this time
Old 22 September 2002, 09:53 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I object to the country folk comment!! I live in the country, they're just not used to traffic at all[/i[ It's amazing how many people I see who just wander out into traffic, even parents with their kids, **** knows how the kids will grow up