Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Carrying things at work

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2004, 03:21 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Carrying things at work

Does anyone know the limit of how much a person can carry over a specific time before your employer should provide you with a wheeled buggy?

Trying to throw a spanner at our management team's nice engine. Someone suggested that it may be - anything heavier that a standard ream of paper.
Old 25 October 2004, 03:37 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20kgs I think
Old 25 October 2004, 03:41 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
20kgs I think
mmm

Do you know of any written legal stuff for that
Old 25 October 2004, 03:48 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

If you are being asked to carry anything of any noticable weight, then you must be sent on a Manual Handling Course.

Even if they provide a buggy, then you must be sent on the above course, which will will show you how to use the buggy properly.
Old 25 October 2004, 03:56 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, there's no specific limit as it depends on the individuals capability to a certain degree. AFAIK, there are guidelines though and the company should perform a Health & Safety Risk Assessment and send anyone on a pucka course.

It's not just the weight that could potentially be a problem, it's the way it needs to be moved and how often e.g. does it have to be lifted to/from the ground or pushed above shoulder height. Is there any twisting involved, etc, etc..

Have a look around the HSE website as they may be able to give you direct advice.

Stefan
Old 25 October 2004, 04:31 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Manual handling guidelines suggest/advise that a load or weight(an item doesnt have to be heavy to be awakward/dangerous to carry) musnt be outside the capabilities of the individual.

Which is for the individual to decide, and seek assistance if they believe they are going to undertake something outside their capabilities

So, you may be happy carrying that ream of paper, but an employee with a back strain or physical disability may not....Again, an employee may be required to carry that ream of paper some distance and up flights of stairs .All depends....

Larger loads or "bigger"moves(ie moving a photocopier or a till) to a different position should have a risk assesment done before the proposed move

All staff should recieve manual handling training in this day and age, im pretty sure it is a legal requirment.
Old 25 October 2004, 06:59 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the courier firm i work for doesn't provide sack carts, etc - the max limit for parcels we collect/ deliver is 70kg -- bl**dy heavy when you have to struggle up someones drive and steps :-(

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2004, 08:24 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

25kgs is the current law introduced by the nanny nation incase we hurt our poor little backs and have to claim compensation.

Absolute bollocks if you ask me, I currently lift 100kgs on my shoulder and go for a walk down the warehouse then dump it in the customers van.

25kgs is for poncey office workers that get out of breath opening a fecking drawer. you should see the pathetic idiots in our office that have to ask me to move a desk as they are too fragile to move it themselves!!

I have to do risk assessments for our insurance company so that if someone injures themselves then we are covered in event of a claim (god bless america) that involves showing staff the correct way to move something over 25kgs by use of a motorised pallet truck etc, if i adopted this pile of ****e law myself then i would have to work twice as long to do half the work.

Last edited by andypugh2000; 25 October 2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 25 October 2004, 08:31 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I used to carry the entire company on my back without a pallet truck or anything
Old 25 October 2004, 08:34 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

100kg’s!!! Bloody hell mate I’m a manual worker too but that’s quite a bit of weight your lifting there. I weigh just under 90kg’s and I consider my self to be quite a big bloke so that’s some weight your lifting there, I’d watch you back if I were you.
Old 25 October 2004, 09:25 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I know its a hell of a lot of weight, but most fit people should easily be able to lift one and a half times their own body weight
Old 25 October 2004, 09:45 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Felix.
Does anyone know the limit of how much a person can carry over a specific time before your employer should provide you with a wheeled buggy?

Trying to throw a spanner at our management team's nice engine. Someone suggested that it may be - anything heavier that a standard ream of paper.
Stop being such a nancy a do some proper graft.

Thats the trouble nowadays - there's no "work" in people. I'm a manager and wouldn't appreciate your attitude. (Quote - "Trying to throw a spanner at our management team's nice engine")

If your thread was just light hearted then I'll jump back off my high - horse
Old 26 October 2004, 11:58 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
Stop being such a nancy a do some proper graft.

Thats the trouble nowadays - there's no "work" in people. I'm a manager and wouldn't appreciate your attitude. (Quote - "Trying to throw a spanner at our management team's nice engine")

If your thread was just light hearted then I'll jump back off my high - horse

It is light hearted....... kind of. But our management seem to take the mick out of us to many times on overtime, shifts and every week coming up with 'from now on you must...........'.

Its just handy to know if i need to throw something back their way
Old 26 October 2004, 12:05 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
25kgs is the current law introduced by the nanny nation incase we hurt our poor little backs and have to claim compensation.

Absolute bollocks if you ask me, I currently lift 100kgs on my shoulder and go for a walk down the warehouse then dump it in the customers van.

25kgs is for poncey office workers that get out of breath opening a fecking drawer. you should see the pathetic idiots in our office that have to ask me to move a desk as they are too fragile to move it themselves!!

I have to do risk assessments for our insurance company so that if someone injures themselves then we are covered in event of a claim (god bless america) that involves showing staff the correct way to move something over 25kgs by use of a motorised pallet truck etc, if i adopted this pile of ****e law myself then i would have to work twice as long to do half the work.

What a man!!!!
Old 26 October 2004, 12:09 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Has your firm done a risk assesment?
Old 26 October 2004, 01:40 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
I know its a hell of a lot of weight, but most fit people should easily be able to lift one and a half times their own body weight
Sure, you may be cutting half your work time now, I bet your looking forward to a long rest when youve popped a disc/knackered your back in an few months/years!...

Still, im sure your company will look after you whilst your not working..Wont they??

If you do risk assesments and manual handling trainning, as I did, you must understand your being a fool to yourself in the long run.

Yours,

ex warehouse foreman, now glad to be a pouncy office worker!