Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which Washer/Dryer to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2004, 07:06 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Washer/Dryer to Buy?

We want to replace our washing machine with a washer/dryer. We know they are a compromise and not as good as individual appliances but we don't have the space for both.

We have seen a few good reviews for the AEG models but don't really have any idea which model/manufacturer is best. We have always had Bosch washing machines and never had any problems.

Does anyone out there have a washer/dryer and if so what do you think of it?
Old 19 October 2004, 07:13 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Bosch good. AEG excellent. Miele fantastic.
Old 19 October 2004, 07:21 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Have AEG 1600 spin w/d 2 yrs now. OK hasn't gone wrong but is cold fill only (I think loads are now) so takes a long time on programmes. AEG say this way is more economical though. Model we have is OKO-LAVAMAT TURBO (OF COURSE TURBO) 16800. Probably different models now. Behind fascias they are same as Zanussi though. We preferred the AEG look.
Old 19 October 2004, 07:24 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
is cold fill only (I think loads are now) so takes a long time on programmes. AEG say this way is more economical
I find that hard to believe. In any case, how could they know that unless they had measured the efficiency of your boiler?
Old 19 October 2004, 08:31 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Cold fill!!! The machine does all the heating with element. I didn't believe it but that's what they say in all brochures and manual. Plus they have to do energy tests now don't they and put on machines in shops. Look at Which cos they check energy ratings on their tests.
Old 19 October 2004, 08:40 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Vege - what I was trying to say is they could only know if heating up the water using the washing machine's element is more efficient than using hot water drawn from your hot water system, by knowing how much energy your boiler used to heat the water, if you see what I mean.

I'd be interested to know how they work out that cold fill is the most efficient way to go.
Old 19 October 2004, 09:07 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

ProperCharlie- sorry see what you mean now. I'm no expert on these, have mended them in past. These days they have built in diagnostics like cars. I think that they're more efficient overall cos they are better controlled ref water quantity for load etc. Iirc on hot and cold fill machines hot is only used on 60oC +progs. Any washing machine engineers/designers around to help out?
Old 19 October 2004, 09:41 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Well - we've got a Miele, 1600 spin speed. Had it since 1996.... And nothing, repeat nothing, has gone wrong with it. Ever. And it's used every day - at least once, usually twice....

That's a cold fill only too - more efficient, as it only heats precisely what it needs. Fast programmes too.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:31 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Modern machines use very little water for the wash. Any hot water they 'draw' would be the cold/cool amount already in the pipes ( i have to run my taps for a least 30/40" to get any hot water!). So they have just done away with the Hot fill valve.....

alan