One to pick your brains ....

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2004, 10:09 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One to pick your brains ....

My car is in then garage having some work done , whilst it's in I'm using a loan car of theirs , its a complete heap of a Citreon estate 160,000 miles on the clock with a big dent on the side etc. Driving to the station today , a journey I do every working day, I go past a speed camera, as always I look at the speedo and make sure I'm below 30mph (it was showing between 25 and 30 ). A few cars ahead of me doing similar speeds ,nothing behind , then double flash the Gatso flashes and I guess it's me it's flashed ! I'm going to get the missis to drive our other car with me driving the Citreon crap heap and compare speeds , if it turns out that the speedo on the heap is out by over 5mph or so the wrong way (or 20% at 25mph !!!)do I have any grounds to contest if I get a fine through the post ?
It just seems a bit wrong that I can have a clean licence for 20 years then get done in a car not beloging to me just becaude the speedo is knackered

Any help for me

Dave
Old 18 October 2004, 10:21 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

does the garage know ur name or address????? if not they you'll have gotten of scott free so when you collect your car and hand the citroen back make sure if u give any details give them the wrong house number or something or the wrong surname?
Old 18 October 2004, 10:29 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

it could of been flashing a car going the other way also. i have been flashed a few times and never received anything, but the garage has a legal duty to proved the details of the driver and the police have a long time to trace you down (14 days for nip to registered owner).

If the speedo is under reading, I would go to the police and explain the situation even better if you still have the car so they can take the matter up with the garage.
Old 18 October 2004, 10:35 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

sorry, you were in charge of the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence.
ignorance is no excuse and you are liable to anything that happens because of it.

Thats the legal bit out of the way, its a gutter for you, Im sure, if it is a problem with the shed then you could try appealing to the garage owners sense of decency.
after all, I bet it happens all the time if the speedo is that far out.
Old 18 October 2004, 11:21 AM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pbee
it could of been flashing a car going the other way also. i have been flashed a few times and never received anything, but the garage has a legal duty to proved the details of the driver and the police have a long time to trace you down (14 days for nip to registered owner).

If the speedo is under reading, I would go to the police and explain the situation even better if you still have the car so they can take the matter up with the garage.
if the camera is not on your side of the road you don`t have a problem i laugh when i`m behind people on the road and they slow down when it`s on the other side of the road ( unless it`s one of the new breed ((smaller,facing you, with double lenses the same size)) then you do have a problem) but this is still is on your side!!
Old 18 October 2004, 12:27 PM
crowtherg
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Sorry to hear about that mate, guessing you are talking about the one in Wickford.

Cheers Geoff
Old 18 October 2004, 01:58 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crowtherg
Dave,

Sorry to hear about that mate, guessing you are talking about the one in Wickford.

Cheers Geoff
Spot on Geoff , I go past the thing every day fingers crossed I guess

Dave
Old 19 October 2004, 08:51 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Update for anyone who's interested , drove home last night (other direction to speed camera ) doing about 15mph in a que of traffic , nothing going the other way at all and I see the camera flash twice .I can only guess that the camera is knackered , therefore false alarm I hope

Dave
Old 19 October 2004, 10:37 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
Update for anyone who's interested , drove home last night (other direction to speed camera ) doing about 15mph in a que of traffic , nothing going the other way at all and I see the camera flash twice .I can only guess that the camera is knackered , therefore false alarm I hope

Dave
Unless the Citroen speedo is under-reading worse than you thought....