'Wannabe Gangster's"

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2004, 11:02 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 'Wannabe Gangster's"

Hi !

just watching Panorama tonight about kids and the use of knives etc. - worrying story !

What is the mentaility of these kids that they need weapons because they think they need to defend themselves ? From who ? Other kids who think the same ??

If you ask me the situation is crazy - hate to see what my kids are going to grow up in. I myself am of the mentaility that if I see a fight I walk away but have mates who like to get involved - the respect element - I always take the **** but it still happens.

I'm worried that these days - when you ask a kid what he wants to be when he grows up - "gangster" - WTF !!!! I sure as hell didn't say cr@p like that when I was a kid !

Personally, I think things like the Hip-Hop / Rap music has a lot to answer for - fair enough it might be good music but the **** some of these artists chat is crazy - the kids look up to this ! I mean, talking about drive-by's and shootings etc. !!

Though i'd vent my anger and put it to all the fellow scoobynetters to see how they feel. It's not like I'm a grandad and don't understand the kids, I'm only 24 myself

Jai
Walsall
Old 18 October 2004, 01:28 AM
Higgs
Scooby Regular

ive grown up listening to rap music and i aint shot or stabed no one yet and the only reason the governments around the world try to blame the music is to shift the blame from them self's u have to remember that alot of the rappers have grown up in some of the toughest streets in the world where people are getting shot every day and are just rapping about what life has been like for them
Old 18 October 2004, 03:24 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above. We've had music out there glorifying violence, rebellion, devil worship and so on for at least the last 40 years, so it's nothing new.
Old 18 October 2004, 08:41 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep again sentiments above are spot on, this trying to blame music/films/video games is utter bollox, there's only two things lacking discipline and respect!
Old 18 October 2004, 08:59 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

It revolts me seeing tracksuited and gold adorned youths walking along with a strange fake limp, "communicating" with each other 8-Mile style, spitting, swearing etc. As has been said above, perhaps if their parents forbid them from hanging around on street corners by taking responsibility for what their kids are doing, instilled some discipline within their offspring then the future of society wouldn't be looking so bleak!

All their "gangsta rap" songs bleat on about respect, maybe they should take the time to learn the meaning of the word and what happens when you don't value it.
Old 18 October 2004, 10:11 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Its a small minority of our community - typical BBC hyped style reporting IMHO.

Look at what all the kids interviewed or featured looked like. Hate to stereotype but it has to say something
Old 18 October 2004, 12:25 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
As has been said above, perhaps if their parents forbid them from hanging around on street corners by taking responsibility for what their kids are doing, instilled some discipline within their offspring then the future of society wouldn't be looking so bleak!
Therein lies the problem. Unfortunately, there's a small minority of parents that have little or no respect for anyone/anything else - let alone understand the term responsibilty. Both are learned values, so what chance do the poor kids have?