What are my rights?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2004, 01:17 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What are my rights?

Hello all,

To cut a long story shortish, I work at a very large company (3000+ employees) and the volume of traffic is quite large, a problem has arisen due to the lack of car parking spaces, we have a green zone for 2 person cars with a permit which is never utilised, this morning there were no spaces at all and i was forced to park, either on the verge, on the road (junction, single yellow line) or the green bay, after a security person had a rant about how i couldn't park in the green bay (did anyway), i noticed we were all being filmed (car park was chaos and 30+ cars were forced to do the same)

The result is a sticker being put on the window of the car informing you any future rule breaking means you will get clamped, the sticker is a b"!tard to remove and blocks your veiw, it can only be removed with thinners, is it legal to block the drivers veiw like this?

The problem has been made worse by the closure of one car park and the green bay being intorduced, the company does have initiatves like a free bus (about 9 miles from my house) and encourages cycling, The nature of my job means car sharing is diffivult as my leaving time is never the same

Also if i remove the clamp without damage am i liable for theft?

Thanks
Old 13 October 2004, 01:22 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not clear - does the clamping co. belong to your work, private, public?
Old 13 October 2004, 01:22 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RayC
Only if you keep it surely.

With regard to the stickers, a company I worked for did this but they had to provide a solvent to remove the sticker if asked. I believe it's criminal damage otherwise but that may be way off.
Old 13 October 2004, 01:26 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The clamp is put on by security employees of the company, they are the same as everyone else but of reduced interlect and have badges
Old 13 October 2004, 01:32 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Nope. Theft requires 'an intention to permanently deprive'.

That's why 'joyriding' isn't theft....
Old 13 October 2004, 01:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Frankly, if you have a company that penalises its employees for trying to come in and work, I'd suggest you tell them exactly that and start looking for another job.

If 30+ people had the same problem, can't you band together as a group and storm up to HR?

Otherwise, have a baby quick and apply to work from home
Old 13 October 2004, 01:35 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Obviously, the company is trying to introduce policies to reduce car usage - all very laudable. I'm not aware of any compulsion upon employers to provide car parking for their employees.

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 13 October 2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 13 October 2004, 01:36 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The nature of my job means car sharing is diffivult as my leaving time is never the same
We find the car-sharers here have a strict time to arrive & leave and work to those times. Company can't criticise as you are working your stated hours.
You do your work , get up, & leave.

Guarantees you don't need to "work late". Sounds good to me!
Old 13 October 2004, 01:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That'd get right on my nerves if I didn't have anywhere to park like that Your company must be very petty to employ guards like that The only thing you can get done for is criminal damage if you damage the clamp by removing it. I believe though that if you cut off the padlock then give them a padlock to replace it there's nothing they can do
Old 13 October 2004, 01:37 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The clamp is put on by security employees of the company, they are the same as everyone else but of reduced interlect and have badges
They have "reduced interlect" do they?
Old 13 October 2004, 01:42 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

There isnt any but we do get taxed for how ever many spaces we have. So I can understand why they may wish to limit the number of spaces available.

Ray: A friend of mine had a similar situation. They all printed signs onto A3 that told the company to **** off and placed them in the back windows of their cars. The clamping scheme was stopped shortly afterward.
Old 13 October 2004, 01:44 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thanks for the replies

I wont be spawning any kids just yet, unfortuantly my role does not enable me to work from home.

With regards to providing parking, they have for 50+ years so i they under any common lore to continue

The problem is now out of hand, a petition did go around, but the council has declined the request to allow more parking to be built

Is there any specific law regarding the stickers and blocking your veiw as they wont come off with out thinners
Old 13 October 2004, 01:46 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I don't think you'll get very far with the argument that your employer has a duty under commom law to provide you with car parking - but good luck. I would probably ask them for a sticker removal kit, just to check the reaction.
Old 13 October 2004, 01:49 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

why not get in a bit earlier ?
Old 13 October 2004, 01:59 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

If my company suddenly told us we couldn't park at work unless we had multiple occupants in the vehicle then I would have no choice but to leave.

I wouldn't work for any company that didn't provide parking, to me its a basic human right!
Old 13 October 2004, 02:21 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by camk
My thoughts exactly
Old 13 October 2004, 02:21 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Perhaps a quick note to HR asking them to check their insurance policy...
Hypothetically
"Yesterday you placed a sticker on my car in such a position that it obscured my view. After some ten minute of trying to rub the sticker off the screen in the dark on my own in your car park I concerned for my safety. In light of this concern I decided it would be safer for me to get into my car and proceed with caution to my home where I could remove the remaining glue with the appropriate tools in a safer environment. On attempting to leave the car park I am afraid I struck a fellow member of staff breaking both their legs. I was not aware of their presence as the large patch of glue left on my windscreen by your sticker obscured them. As a result of this incident I would like to bring a number of issues to your attention;
1. I would like to make a claim against you for the damage to my car
2. The person I ran over is suing me, I will of course counter claim for any losses against you
3. As a direct result of this incident my doctor has advised me that I am suffering from stress and has signed me off work for an indefinite period of time

As requested please could you check your position with regard to the company’s insurance cover in light of these liabilities?
Regards
Subaru driver

Alternatively, put the stickers in the bin."
Old 13 October 2004, 03:00 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Regacy
Hypothetically

1. I would like to make a claim against you for the damage to my car
2. The person I ran over is suing me, I will of course counter claim for any losses against you
I wonder if this would work, though? It is the driver's responsibility to make sure the vehicle is roadworthy before attempting to drive it. If you choose to drive off with something obscuring your windscreen I would have thought it would be a case os "strict liability" upon the driver.

I don't know for sure, though. The usual ScoobyNet school of legal advice.
Old 13 October 2004, 03:05 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by camk
Typical problem avoidance!

What happens when EVERYONE ends up coming in earlier and earlier in order to get a parking spot? Until the fundemental problem of more cars than parking places is fixed then there is always going to be trouble in the carpark!
Old 13 October 2004, 03:07 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

ajm - you need to get your lycra out of the cupboard and cycle in mate
Old 13 October 2004, 03:14 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
ajm - you need to get your lycra out of the cupboard and cycle in mate
what makes you think I have lycra in the cupboard???

Unfortunately for me I need to go up the motorway to get to work and, last time I checked, bicycles weren't allowed on the motorway..... not that I would ever even contemplate joining the lycra clad "pedal-philes" wobbling all over the roads in the morning!
Old 13 October 2004, 03:22 PM
Slartibartfast
Scooby Regular

I think it illegal to put stickers on the windscreen of a car. Only on the side window is legal.

S.
Old 13 October 2004, 03:22 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

With regards to providing parking, they have for 50+ years so i they under any common lore to continue
Are you getting confused with adverse possession and prescriptive rights?
Old 13 October 2004, 03:38 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are specific procedures you need to follow when making grievances official.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/resolvingdisputes.htm

Just make sure you follow these if you take it further than talking it over with the HR department.

Stefan
Old 13 October 2004, 04:41 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

thanks everyone

I will look into a petition to be given to HR

The cycling is not safe option due to the road and distance, i am very reluctant to park on the ajoining roads 1- because if i lived there i would get upset 2 - the Police will probably get involved due to the number of cars already there, The earlier option does fix the problem for me but it will only solve the problem for a short time, the next issue is people trying to get big cars in small gaps damaging other peoples cars in the process

Is there anywhere i can look to find out about the legality on stickers on cars, they do only place the sticker on the side window (drivers side) but it is large enough to block the mirror and your veiw at the junction (i wind the window down) but it is not ideal

Thanks
Old 13 October 2004, 04:49 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Make up your own sticker explaining the problem and stick them in some prominent position that will p*ss off security/management. Like on their car windscreens.
Old 13 October 2004, 04:56 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm think about some sort of cling film based rip off strip!!

Dont want to create a hugh splash as i enjoy my job, i dont need this hassle every day though
Old 13 October 2004, 06:11 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Plonking notices on people's cars with glass bond or whatever can result in prosecution. It's rendering the vehicle unfit to drive which is an offence.

There have been quite a few cases/threads about this sort of stuff the last few years, mostly from people living in flats etc.

J.
Old 13 October 2004, 06:52 PM
yvette296
Scooby Regular

Having just come into this one late, please excuse me if I repeat anyone. But som of the points I've noted are that firstly you must ensure that the sticker is removed before you drive off. The onus is on you (makiing sure the vehicle you are driving is roadworthy is down the the driver)

If your company has a policy to reduce parking on site (as has the Trust where I work) then it may be difficult. However, considering your location and the fact that you have to travel via motorway to work, I woudl ask for "special dispensation" to park in the Green areas. My Trust does have this scheme but it is not widely advertised (obviously). Also speak with your line manager as it is in their interest to have you at work on time every day.

good luck

Yvette
Old 13 October 2004, 07:55 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

When people used to block my car in by parking across the lane round the back of my house they would get one of these:

stuck on their windscreen with transparent plastic film!

Last edited by ajm; 13 October 2004 at 08:48 PM. Reason: to fix pic

Quick Reply: What are my rights?