Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House price question

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2004, 01:37 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House price question

Sorry to bring up this topic, and please don't turn it into a they're plummeting debate (sorry Pete)

Seen a house me and the missus quite like, although not 100% sure on yet

But, if we decided to go, given the current market conditions (whatever they are ), the fact that this house has been on the market for a while now, is vacant, and the bloke who moved out currently has a bridging loan for the whole time it's been on the market, what sort of offer price would you pitch as a starting offer? It's on the market for just under 240k and is an old 1930s style RAF officers house so proper brick walls and none of this plasterboard crap

Haven't a clue what to fire in as a starting offer (if we do end up putting one in) so would appreciate some advice

Let the bidding commence
Old 12 October 2004, 01:47 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

I think the average house sales nationally goes for 94% of asking price...so start lower, say £210k?
Old 12 October 2004, 01:47 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Depends how cheeky you want to be and how much you want to pay for it.
Start at 200k, then settle on max of 220k?
Old 12 October 2004, 01:50 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

be cheeky - if he is stuck with a bridging loan and can't sell it offer him 150k for it - the worst thing that can happen is that he can say no

(no doubt there will be a thead tomorrow saying 'I've had my house on the market for 240k and some cheeky git offered me 150)
Old 12 October 2004, 01:55 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

If it's been marketed by other agents, speak to them & see what he's turned down before, whether there's a survey issue, or if he's a **** to deal with.
If you're ready to go, then I'd take off 20% & see how loud he screams.

D
Old 12 October 2004, 02:14 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

PMSL @ fast bloke....that would be really funny

It's only on with one estate agent so nothing to compare with The estate agent did hint that he might be wanting to move on it a bit quicker now due to the bridging loan. She said he'd been holding out for the asking price, which no-one is really going to pay, but it's a question of how low to go. Worst case scenario is that he says no

I think (subject to second viewing) if we were to go for it we've got our limit on what it's worth so if it goes over that, we'll walk away. We haven't fell in love with it, and it meets 95% of the things we wanted, but we're being rational on pricing. We were kinda hoping to get a feeling of this is the one as so many people have said we will, but we never. In fact we never had it for the house we're currently in. Maybe we just have no feelings

Do you really know if it's the right house, or do you just know if it's the wrong house (which we didn't feel looking round it)?
Old 12 October 2004, 02:29 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Do you really know if it's the right house, or do you just know if it's the wrong house (which we didn't feel looking round it)?
I think i depends on two things:

how much patience you have for looking round houses and

how rich you are

If you score "lots" and "very" on these point then you will probably come up with the perfect gaff sooner or later. If like me you score "not much" and "not really" then you just find something that meets most of your needs. I still want a garage, a pool room, a detached office, guest suite, helipad etc...

However, I still like what we've got.
Old 12 October 2004, 03:00 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

We have a fair amount of patience, and would say we have average income. We're not poor, we're not rich. Probably your typical working couple (no kids - I satisfy that criteria ) outside of the M25 zone.

We don't want to go overboard on size...just means more cleaning 3-4 bedrooms, prefer double garage but definitely needs a garage of sorts, in a village far enough away from cities/towns, commutable to work.

Other thing that is happening is an expansion of a nearby road from single to dual-carriageway. Might be putting some people off, and it is a concern for us, but not much of one.