Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

When did this all start?

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2004, 05:40 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry When did this all start?

Realise this is a touchy subject at present but when did all this emotional issues start whenever someone dies after being in the public eye.
Listening to the stuff happening in Liverpool where a 2 minute silence, books of remembrance etc for Ken Bigley. They read out entries where people feel they have lost someone they know etc. They have'nt. Someone has died who was on the news for the last 3 weeks. It was like when Diana, Brian Clough etc died.
Something like Hillsborough is tragic and the people genuinely touched through loss is multiplied by the number killed/injured. You feel that this could have happened to you or someone near you as it was something as common as going to watch a game of football. But I think this country is now going totally over the top feeling that a man dying in Iraq makes them feel they have lost someone they knew.
I lost someone very close to me in a horrible way but would tell anyone coming out with this type of emotional, wallowing cr4p to %$ck off as it is none of their business. Anyone else feel the same?
Alas
Old 09 October 2004, 05:43 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

Completely agree with everything you say. I'd find it offensive if someone close to me died and a complete stranger said how sorry they were. Like, how the **** are you sorry if you didn't even know the person!
Old 09 October 2004, 05:44 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Do a little research into the death and funeral of Nelson. It was just the same.
Old 09 October 2004, 05:51 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

agree completely with you, there's nothing wrong with showing compasion towards someone who's been murdered in a horrible way. but people get killed all the time the whole world over.

did anyone shed a tear for my mate who died of a brain tumor, struck down in his youth? nope, and i wouldn't expect them to. they didn't know him.

do i know ken bigley or the many hundreds of thousands who die inocently across the world for other peoples beliefs or causes? no. and unfortunately that's probably why i'm not too bothered about it.

maybe not the best outlook on life, but it's my family and friends that matter.

sorry if this offends.
Old 09 October 2004, 05:53 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Yep, I agree. This current trend of collective mourning really hacks me off as well. Florists don't appear too upset though!!
Old 09 October 2004, 05:54 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Minutes silence b4 the england game for KB....wtf's that about.....

Great goal by Becks though..............
Old 09 October 2004, 05:57 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Minutes silence b4 the england game for KB....wtf's that about.....

Great goal by Becks though..............
not such a great challenge on thatcher though

no becks for azbecistan (or however the **** you spell it!)
Old 09 October 2004, 06:32 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

That's the scousers for you. We always hear how they have a wonderful sense of humour and are compassionate towards each other in face of adversity.

Bollox. They rob off each other just like any other $hitty city.

Give it another week and Gerry and the pacemakers will be releasing "ferry across the Mersey" again. all for charity, of course

Last edited by deano; 09 October 2004 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09 October 2004, 07:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

because under eu directives and pc rules any form of retailition or thought of going to get the culprits is not allowed.

so by having a a few tears and a bit of public sympathy makes everyone feel involved, and then they dont want to hurt anyone as we are all grieving.

what happened was sad and ott, if it was down to me i,d drop a few nukes on them, it probably wouldnt solve anything, but it would sure as hell make me feel better.

M
Old 09 October 2004, 07:54 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

recreational greiving and mourning sickness. See the hostage thread
Old 09 October 2004, 08:36 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more, are we going to now see a bit of equality and see a minutes silence observed for every brit soldier, aid worker, iraqi civilian etc who gets killed?

No of course not. Because they arent celebritys like Diana, or people who've been turned into celebrities by the media like Ken. I think what happened to him is a horrible and sad thing, but at the end of the day he's just another person i didn't know who's been killed.
Old 09 October 2004, 08:50 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

i think ull find it was coz he was the first brit to die as a hostage - that makes it a special moment for some people.
secondly, its times where lots of people show deep emotion that can change things. its a sign that lots of people feel the same way - and that is powerful.
look at the efforts and results of Band Aid all those years ago.

so what if people want to grieve?
u dont have to. dont take it out on others if u dont get it.

i mean, some peeps cried when watching titanic. if u didnt, would u ridicule them in this way? what gives u the right to redicule someone else for how they feel?

hoskib - I am a stranger - and i AM sorry to hear about ur m8. why am i sorry? because I would feel the pain if it was my m8. its called compassion i think.
Old 09 October 2004, 10:27 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=

so what if people want to grieve?
u dont have to. dont take it out on others if u dont get it.

i mean, some peeps cried when watching titanic. if u didnt, would u ridicule them in this way? what gives u the right to redicule someone else for how they feel?

QUOTE]
Where have I taken anything out on anyone. I asked a question.
Where have I ridiculed anyone for how they feel.
As I said in the first post, I had a close person to me die a horrible death. My business. Because its my business its private so unless you have had someone die in the same way you can't understand, you don't know how I feel and as I said before it would be none of your business anyway. Journalists appeared at our door due to what I mentioned above. They were told to $%ck off. So to get back to your point.
What gives you the right to take it out on me if you don't get it.
Old 09 October 2004, 10:27 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree partly but i think his situation was particularly cruel as the terrorists had killed two and then let him sweat for a few weeks while they "negotiated" .
It is natural human empathy for his mental torture(and his familys) that has been asscociated with personal familiarity by the mind,this is probably a natural way for our species to protect and preserve itself, having evolved over the eons presumably.
Old 09 October 2004, 10:53 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Angry

I think Matty has really hit the point here. I have to say that I think it was cruel in the extreme to keep Ken Bigley and his Family and the Country hoping and wishing for his safe return, to then kill him. This is worse than killing him straight away. I have nothing but hatred for these animals and the ba5tards that support these beasts.

I would vote to have the area where these atrocities occured, wiped from the face of the planet. Destroy it totally.

And anyone expressing support for them can get the Fu*k out of the UK.

Old 09 October 2004, 11:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I would willingly give 1 minute's silence for all the British soldiers killed in Iraq. They are braver men than me.

Alas, I agree with your sentiments. D
Old 10 October 2004, 12:06 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I think it is probably positive for people to want to show feeling over such a depraved horrible murder rather than simply sit back and do nothing. It is also probably a good thing for our fragmenting and increasingly selfish society - it shows compassion, morals, unity and values. Only thing is the terrorists are probably lapping it all up and thinking 'fantastic' about all the extended press coverage - lets keep the 'invader' alive for a few more days and then REALLY stun then for even more added value...

That whole Diana think was SO OTT IMHO though - but all those people that never met or knew her probably did feel it and should of course be allowed to 'join in' or do something. Many of these probably dont even speak to their neighbours .

D
Old 10 October 2004, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As Diesel says, it was a horrible way to die, read Mitchy 260 's account of how it is to die having your head cut off with a knife if you don't understand that. Imagine yourself being held down by three terrorists while the fourth one takes a knife to your neck!

People realise how terrible an experience it was for him and his family and are expressing their condolences.

Its just a matter of thinking of someone else and showing some sympathy for them, they have an absolute right to do that. Maybe you think that is a sign of weakness!

Les
Old 10 October 2004, 12:50 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
As Diesel says, it was a horrible way to die, read Mitchy 260 's account of how it is to die having your head cut off with a knife if you don't understand that. Imagine yourself being held down by three terrorists while the fourth one takes a knife to your neck!

People realise how terrible an experience it was for him and his family and are expressing their condolences.

Its just a matter of thinking of someone else and showing some sympathy for them, they have an absolute right to do that. Maybe you think that is a sign of weakness!

Les
This is part of what I mean.
People don't realise what a terrible experience it was for him and his family. They can't understand as it was'nt them or theirs. Yes they have every right to express their condolences/have a minutes silence/leave flowers somewhere/sign a book, but when I had people telling me how terrible it must have been for us and they could understand how I felt I told them they did'nt and to go away. This is a private thing for the family but as to the original question, some of the British public seems to feel it belongs to them. Anyway not going to say any more on the issue.
Alas.
Old 10 October 2004, 03:48 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I know theres been threads on KB before but my feelings are that he went over there to do a job, was told by the foreign office it would be in his interests not to be there due to personal security risks. He chose to stay and was executed by a mental militant political faction - always a risk to westerners over there. I know this will upset some - but IMO him being there was a selfish act - his family realsing their fears 3 weeks ago.
The media are talking gibberish when they talk about the city of Liverpool being in mourning. Half my family are Mickey Mousers (cant be helped) and they werent in mourning yesterday. They were wondering where to shopping, what to have for tea, drooling over Beckhams goal...Just like any normal day.
There are always some who revel in group mourning - The Diana aftermath was embarrasing - In this instance, its been flowered up by the media big time. From the however many million live in Liverpool, a few hundred physically paid their respects, a few hundred thousand might have felt down at the news, and the other few hundred thousand simply have nmore important things to worry about, like their own familes health wealth and happiness...
Old 10 October 2004, 06:21 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOSaltire
i mean, some peeps cried when watching titanic. if u didnt, would u ridicule them in this way?
Hell yes!! (Unless they were crying because they'd just spent their hard earned cash on the biggest load of hairy old w@nk this side of the blair witch!)