Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help Average speed cameras??

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2004, 12:55 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Average speed cameras??

Do these things exist??? I got flashed by a camera on the A1m near newark heading North this Saturday.
When I checked my speedo reading it was approx 73-75MPH. Now before that I might have been averaging 80-85MPH until I got flashed. The camera was face on and flashed once I believe, did I get caught because my average speed was in excess of 77MPH prior to getting flashed??
I did see the camera in time and slowed down but I still got flashed
Also do face on cameras take pictures of the driver or just the front number plate??
Thanks, Kambo!
Old 06 October 2004, 01:23 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

The average speed cameras are called Specs and dont flash, they just record all vehicles going past at various points and send u a NIP if youre average speed is too high.

Theyve got them on the M6 in Birmingham and also on the M6 near Mancheseter (in roadworks). You cant really miss them - yellow cameras, with a big bright orange banner behind them to make them visible.
Old 06 October 2004, 01:35 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

I believe you've been nicked by a bog standard Gatso.

Specs camera's are digital, dont flash (as Peter said)and are set in a series of camera's over a certain stretch of road, there usaully set high up(telegraph pole height,on gantries)they work out your average speed between each camera.

So, assuming the limit is 50MPH, you pass the first set doing exactly 50, speed up to, say 70, after, then see another set furthur down the road and slow to 50 again, the camera will still "nick "you as you have exceeded the 50mph average between the 2 sets of camera(the road from Northampton to Bedford is littered with them, over about 15miles.

The Gatso will have a picture of your face and front No plate, they can set the trigger limit to what they want...
Old 06 October 2004, 01:39 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they always highly visible, yellow/orange?
Old 06 October 2004, 02:19 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I know the area very well, was this 15miles south of newark by any chance? grantham area? there are 2 speed cameras on this stretch of road (not A1M just the A1) just before a roundabout, if so then this is actually been labelled up as a 50zone now as there are some works going on at a farm by the side fo the road although tis not exactly clearly marked so its easy to think its a NSL area only other speed camera ont he A1 around that area is about 10-15 miles North of newark, again similar camera but it is a 70 zone. Brybusa, the std gatso catches u from behind so can't catch your face, the 3 on the A1 in this particular area face towards you, think they are called a Trureo or something similar. my sister and some1 else got caught by 1 of these cameras in recent weeks but received nothing through the post so u may be lucky
Old 06 October 2004, 02:44 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

davegtt has hit it on the head, you got caught by the first of two camera's outside Grantham. Two truvelo cameras are situated after the A52 junction going north, on a nice long drag downhill towardws the roundabout by the Grantham north services. The first is currently set to catch people above 50mph. There is a temporary but still correctly signed 50mph limit in place at the moment. I read about on here before I first saw it, and if you weren't paying attention you could miss the signs, as there are no roadworks signs in place as the work takes place off the carriageway.
Old 06 October 2004, 03:12 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

yup, me and reffro are on about the same place, this will be where you've been caught (or maybe not)

reffro, u go by or too grantham alot?
Old 06 October 2004, 03:21 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I do fly by at 90mph at least once a month, on my way from Edgware to North Lincolnshire. I used to love the downhill run to the roundabout, before they put the cameras there that is. I know the whole run from Apex corner in Edgware to the A46 junc. @ Newark like the back of my hand, and the only cameras near Grantham/Newark are the ones we are talking about. Plus someone who pissed me off got flashed by the exact same camera on Friday (a single reddish tint flash), when I suckered him into blasting past me at exactly the wrong moment for him....
Old 06 October 2004, 03:34 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I know the area very well, was this 15miles south of newark by any chance? grantham area? there are 2 speed cameras on this stretch of road (not A1M just the A1) just before a roundabout, if so then this is actually been labelled up as a 50zone now as there are some works going on at a farm by the side fo the road although tis not exactly clearly marked so its easy to think its a NSL area only other speed camera ont he A1 around that area is about 10-15 miles North of newark, again similar camera but it is a 70 zone. Brybusa, the std gatso catches u from behind so can't catch your face, the 3 on the A1 in this particular area face towards you, think they are called a Trureo or something similar. my sister and some1 else got caught by 1 of these cameras in recent weeks but received nothing through the post so u may be lucky
Yep thats the area!!! hopefully nothing will come through, by law I must receive a NIP within 14 days for them to prosecute correct??
Old 06 October 2004, 03:37 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
davegtt has hit it on the head, you got caught by the first of two camera's outside Grantham. Two truvelo cameras are situated after the A52 junction going north, on a nice long drag downhill towardws the roundabout by the Grantham north services. The first is currently set to catch people above 50mph. There is a temporary but still correctly signed 50mph limit in place at the moment. I read about on here before I first saw it, and if you weren't paying attention you could miss the signs, as there are no roadworks signs in place as the work takes place off the carriageway.
Ba$tard!! this is prolly what happened!!! sure I was doing 72-73MPH!!!! temporary road works must have reduced the limit to 50MPH!!!!
Old 06 October 2004, 03:52 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by kammy
Yep thats the area!!! hopefully nothing will come through, by law I must receive a NIP within 14 days for them to prosecute correct??
yeah and IIRC it has to be first class, if its 2nd keep the envelope and you'll be OK. chances are though theres no film in it.

reffro, there are 2 other cameras about 5-10 miles south of grantham too but apart from that yeah your right theres no other cameras in the area
Old 06 October 2004, 04:49 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

truvelo's dont flash , the bog standard ,older tech Gatso does, and also comes in a varierty of colours!

Doesnt sound good mate

Let us know how it develops, pardon the pun

To stop it happening again, follow my advice in the thread below..

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=362384
Old 06 October 2004, 09:22 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

ok guys, cheers for your help
Old 06 October 2004, 10:18 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
yeah and IIRC it has to be first class, if its 2nd keep the envelope and you'll be OK. chances are though theres no film in it
There's no law stating that. The law actually gives them 14 days to issue the NIP and they also get a couple of days for postage.

Of course 2nd class post is rubbish these days so there's a chance it will never arrive. I have no information as to whether the NIP is considered "served" for the purposes of the law should the post go missing or be returned to sended unopened.

Got a kettle?
Old 07 October 2004, 12:29 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Last time I was on the M6, the orange fluorescent backing to the SPECS cameras had faded quite a bit so they weren't quite so visible! Actually I don't have a problem with them in roadworks, just slow down for a couple of miles, it's not the end of the world and at the end of the roadworks it gives you the chance to boot it in third and leave all the lesser mortals eating your dust (or spray).
Old 07 October 2004, 10:38 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

truvelos (the forward facing cameras) do flash but it is a red flash and not easily detectable to the human eye, they use this so not to blind or dazzle drivers.

If you have your headlights on full beam when you pass these it can also look like a flash when in reality it is your own headlight reflecting back.

Ive been past those 2 at grantham a lot use to visit a customer in Hull, they put them in during 50mph roadworks a few years back and the stayed after the works had finished. Ive been through them a few times going faster than 70 and didnt get anything through the post infact they are the reason why i dropped my bel 550 and bought a road angel.
Old 14 October 2004, 04:35 PM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

I got flashed by the Grantham Truvelo on Sunday night doing 67mph, I know it was 67mph as have both Road Angel and Tomtom Go in the car and they both read 67 when the flash happened.
Here's the weird thing.......
It was a face on single flash of white light, not a reflection, far too bright for that. Startled me just like a camera flashgun going off in your face. I know you're all thinking "he's wrong...couldn't have been that" but I assure you it was.

If that's a 50mph limit there then they sure do hide the signs well, and I didn't see any roadworks, although it was in the dark.

Guess i've just gotta wait n see what happens but if I get a ticket am VERY tempted to fight it.
Old 14 October 2004, 06:09 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

have a look on ukspeedtraps.co.uk for a guide on different cameras.

Bob
Old 14 October 2004, 06:20 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The NIP is considered served if the police say it was posted to you. The falability of the postal system is not considered, if they say they sent it then you got it.

However, as others have pointed out it must be 1st class post or greater. The NIP may not be sent 2nd class and if it is then you should have no case to answer, the law quite clearly states this.

In this situation it is worth checking the precise requirements for speed limit signs, for example the law even dictates the size of writing that is allowed on the rear of the sign where the contractor usually writes their name. Well worth looking into if you have any doubts.

The ABD home page has a good "primer" on the law surrounding speed limit signs on www.abd.org.uk
Old 14 October 2004, 07:38 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

I think I'm right in saying the cameras are sometimes set at a lower limit so they can get LGVs(HGVs) remember their limits are lower cos I have 2 m8s and a bro who drive artics and 2 of them have been done for over 40 in 60 limit ie single carriageway.
Old 14 October 2004, 09:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=davegtt] Brybusa, the std gatso catches u from behind so can't catch your face, the 3 on the A1 in this particular area face towards you, think they are called a Trureo or something similar. QUOTE]

BUT... the GATSO camera can be set for following or oncoming violations, though I dont believe that it is approved by the Home Office for oncoming violations; two flashes would also be required. When GATSOs were new non-live cameras had a dummy flash unit that only flashed once but this was quickly replaced with a double flashing dummy as the original kit let the cat out of the bag. Just because the kit isnt approved for oncoming (forward facing) applications doesnt mean that it isnt being used of course; who rememebrs the Camera Partnership who set a camera to 50 in a NSL restriction? (and then refused to provide the details of motorists falsely prosecuted to the CPS for their revue ffs.....)

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 14 October 2004 at 09:06 PM. Reason: innit?
Old 14 October 2004, 09:16 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Newer versions of some of the speed cameras can detect the difference between a car and a truck and so will "flash" at different speeds for these vehicles.

The various anti-car pressure groups see this as a wonderful weapon as once they get trucks reduced to 40mph on single carriageways then that will, in effect, limit the maximum speed of all traffic on these roads to 40mph. As you might have noticed cameras are often placed on good overtaking straights but, in many cases, you would like to exceed 60mph in order to safely overtake a truck travelling at 40mph. So, the camera now works for the anti-car element on two levels as if the truck exceeds 40 they get it and if you overtake it they get you.

The hope is that the frustration will drive motorists from the roads and on to public transport and, of course, this cunning scheme will soon be followed up with the "Intelligent Speed Adaptation" system which will physically limit trucks to 40mph and your car to 60mph in an NSL single carriageway.

Things are not looking good for the motorist and with this in mind I would encourage everyone to make a stand and fight. Joining an organisation such as the ABD ( www.abd.org.uk ) would be a start.
Old 14 October 2004, 11:20 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
However, as others have pointed out it must be 1st class post or greater. The NIP may not be sent 2nd class and if it is then you should have no case to answer, the law quite clearly states this.
Got a link to the actual point of law for this one?

Pretty much every ticket office I've seen uses 2nd class.