Old 05 October 2004, 11:40 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scar removal

is it possible to get rid of scars.

with creams etc,

had a 3 inch cut on my back last week. just healed

but it looks like i will have a scar for life.
Old 05 October 2004, 11:47 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Dunno about an official answer but doesn't scar tissue leave a white tell-tale line etc? I think it's a matter of time for it to fade but whether it goes completely...?

I've got marks on my hands / fingers from cuts as a kid that are still there and an operation mark (war wound as it sounds better ) on my leg that I doubt will ever go.

There might be some herbal / alternative remedy that could help but you're asking the wrong person here - expert needed...
Old 05 October 2004, 11:50 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid you're pretty much stuck with scars for life.. Laser treatment ata plastic surgery clinic can help fade them somewhat but they're always gonna be there.

My advice? Make up a cracking story about a knife attack or similar to impress the opposite sex. (Don't forget the bit where you fought them off bare-handed with the blade hanging out of your spine)

Just to add - if it healed in a week you've a good chance that the scarring is going to be hardly noticeable after a time

Last edited by Jap2Scrap; 05 October 2004 at 11:51 PM. Reason: to add a bit
Old 05 October 2004, 11:55 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Depends on the wound really. DIY you can reduce scarring by using vitamin E enriched creams and silicon patches but that's about it. Other than that its laser treatment, abrasive treatment, chemical peeling or surgery (effectively reopening the wound, removing the scar tissue and trying to sew it up neater than the first time round!)
Old 06 October 2004, 12:37 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
I'm afraid you're pretty much stuck with scars for life.. Laser treatment ata plastic surgery clinic can help fade them somewhat but they're always gonna be there.

My advice? Make up a cracking story about a knife attack or similar to impress the opposite sex. (Don't forget the bit where you fought them off bare-handed with the blade hanging out of your spine)

Just to add - if it healed in a week you've a good chance that the scarring is going to be hardly noticeable after a time

yeah i suppose it looks like a blade wound

could say got mugged in an alley and was crying my eyes out.

or my friend treated me like $hit and always (talks) stabs me behind my back
Old 06 October 2004, 05:20 AM
ChrisB

IIRC, Boots were going to sell some patches (maybe the silicon ones ajm mentions?) which were meant to 'reduce' scars.
Old 06 October 2004, 07:34 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

You can buy a cream in boots, I think it is Vitamin E, just go in and ask them but pretty sure it is a Vitamin. You rub it on the wound and it prevents it scarring. Think you start using it about a week after the wound is received. Sorry I know its all a bit vague but should get you going in the right direction.
Old 06 October 2004, 10:56 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Scars are formed because the body is TOO efficient at healing and wounds heal faster than the skin can cope with. The scar tissue is formed by the new skin tearing and retearing as it stitches across the wound. I'd imagine that these creams slow the healing process and allow the new skin to stretch less viciously.

Just a guess but it'd make sense.