Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would guess 4-6 weeks
Old 05 October 2004, 02:27 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing to be embarrassed about now you're limp-wristed

Seriously though, has your wrist swollen at all? You could take some anti-inflamatory tablets for a few days to reduce any swelling (even if it's not noticeable). Bit too late to use ice on it (should do that immediately and for the first 24-48hrs). You should get some heat into the area too start the healing process. Either use a heat rub or one of the gels you can pop in the Microwave for a few seconds.

Nothing other than rest will cure it, but if it's not too serious maybe 1-2 weeks for a light injury. One of the lads at 5-a-sides twisted his ankle last Wednesday and it swelled up to the size of a small melon (I kid you not). He's still limping slightly, but I'll give him at least 2 weeks before he's running about again.

Stefan
Old 05 October 2004, 02:37 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

You want to be careful you havent torn any of the ligaments. Generally a GP wouldnt be able to tell you if you have or you havent. I tore my cruciate ligament in my knee playing football. It took 6 visits over 6 months to the GP before they finally referred me "Because I kept on, Im sure there's nothing wrong with it" were his words. If it isn't right in 4-6 weeks then get them to send you to a consultant.
Old 05 October 2004, 02:47 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Hhhmm, the Dr was very dismissive - "its not broken so it'll just be bruised/damaged ligaments, off you go now" type of thing......
If it hurts badly go and see a osteopath, or physio, doctors unfortunately (in general) are not too great when it comes to muscular injuries.
Old 05 October 2004, 02:59 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

About 6 weeks I was advised, al lthe usual things, make sure you don't strain it, take it easy etc. etc.

I snapped the ligemment in my left ankle once (playing rugby on a sprane) and it took a year to fully recover

Darren
Old 05 October 2004, 03:06 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

calm down lads, he's not lost an arm yet

If you'd snapped or badly torn a ligament you would know about it. Give it a week and see how it feels. Make sure you feel the mobility and strength coming back in your hand/fingers before you start worrying.

It'll cost you £20-£30 for a physio to have a look at it if you start getting paranoid

Stefan
Old 05 October 2004, 03:16 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

Damaged ligaments just below my knee and had to stop running nearly 6 months ago......it's nearly better now and I'm going out for a short run tonight to see how it goes. Time will heal it....oh, and using the other hand of course!
Old 05 October 2004, 03:17 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

or just get the girlfriend/wife to help you out for 6 months
Old 05 October 2004, 03:48 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Ozzy, I like it

Darren
Old 05 October 2004, 04:24 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

'Hhhmm, the Dr was very dismissive - "its not broken so it'll just be bruised/damaged ligaments, off you go now" type of thing......'

Yeah they were. My brother then snapped his cruciate playing football too (didnt know it at the time) after a month it was still unstable and I was chatting to my physio about it and how long it had been. He told him to ask for a referral so he did. He mentioned he played for the Town side and wanted to get back as quick as possible - didnt get funny with him or anything, he's not like that. The GP wrote a really crappy letter to the Osteopath saying that as my brother played semi pro football he seemed to think he was above the diagnosis of a GP (we know because my mum worked at the surgery and read the letter ), and that he was certain there was nothing wrong with it. He looked a right pr1ck when the Osteopath diagnosed a snapped ACL. He didnt apologise to my brother or anything though - d1ck!
Old 05 October 2004, 04:54 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I did in the ligaments in my left foot and it took well over a year to fix properly - and I still get probs now if I over use it or when it's cold. (2 1/2 years later)

Maybe an arm/wrist might get better quicker cos it's easier to rest it.

Was told several times during check ups that ligaments can be much harder to heal than broken bones.

Just milk the sympathy for all you can manage!! I also reccomend a combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol and Codeine tablets - suggested by my doc for when the pain really kicked off. Washed down with wine helped a lot too (not suggested by my doc....)
Old 05 October 2004, 05:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

6-8 weeks to recover. Well that's on an ankle but I would guess similar. depends on how serious the damge is.
Old 05 October 2004, 05:19 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

I snapped ligaments/tendons in my left leg playing rugby, but I didn't realise it until I went to stand up and fell over again! I was taken to the hospital covered in mud and blood and the doctor said the bad news was that my leg wasn't broken, because that would have been an injury that was far easier to treat. I was on crutches for months and then had to use a walking stick for a further 6 months and had about 12 months in total of physiotherapy. I was told never to play rugby again because if the injury happened a second time I'd be teaching myself how to walk again. Ten years later it's healed but still gives problems, like on a long car journey my leg will seize up. Try and get some physiotherapy or advice on wrist exercises you could do when it's healing, I've had so many rugby injuries and not bothered with this that I'm paying for it now (with creaky joints, stiff ankles/knees in cold weather etc).
Old 05 October 2004, 06:27 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I pulled the ligament in my left knee on Sunday after being a **** on the ski slopes.

Saw the doc and was told it wasn't all that bad but will still need physio afterwards
Old 05 October 2004, 08:59 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I think I'm at about 15 years now, since I did both my ankle ligaments. Never been able to rest them so they've never recovered, for the last couple of years I've been taking Glucosamine and it's amazing the difference it has made. Used to be I locked up as soon as I stopped playing football/whatever sport, then they gradually got worse so that I could only walk about a mile before they would sieze up (handy when you walk 3 miles to work). Now though I'm OK for about 16 miles before they start causing serious grief (although as soon as I kick a football that's it). Don't normally go in for magical cures, but this stuff has helped a lot.
Had a physio try to move my foot at college and he wouldn't believe that there was just no movement, well not until he had put almost his whole weight against my foot and it still hadn't moved then he gave in and said he'd never seen anything like it.

I think I did my wrist at TOTB pushing a car onto a transporter and it cleared up a couple of weeks ago which I guess makes it about 8 weeks, would probably have been quicker if I didn't play golf during the recovery period.

I had the same outlook as minor threat it seems as I too just ignored whatever was wrong with me; whether it was pulled muscles, damaged ligaments, dislocations or whatever. By the time I was 18 I had all the mobility of a 70 year old. Since I stopped playing competitive sports I've been in the best health of my life.
Old 06 October 2004, 08:04 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Does anyone think we could have a separate forum so we can talk about our accident related injuries? I'm sure there are also quote a few drink induced injuries

Darren
Old 06 October 2004, 09:28 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I tore the ligament in my thumb at Croft earlier this year- so no-one had any sympathy whatsoever as I was out 'playing'.

After two weeks of agony they put me in plaster. This stayed on for 4 weeks. Apparently the alternative was to operate and then put me in plaster.....

Anyway, four weeks later the plaster came off, still hurt like hell, but it got better gradually over the next few weeks and is now, 4 months down the line, pretty much OK.
Old 06 October 2004, 12:25 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darlodge
Does anyone think we could have a separate forum so we can talk about our accident related injuries? I'm sure there are also quote a few drink induced injuries

Darren
UBI's!!!! Unexplained Beer Injuries!! My left leg is lumpy, bumpy and scarred due to me coliding with so many things when drunk!! I find them generally less painfull in the long run though as I'm so relaxed when they happen......