Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Grief - Selling your car privately.

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2004, 03:00 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grief - Selling your car privately.

More of a thread about griping about human nature.

My 944 Turbo is for sale. 10k. Except scuffing in the seat edge where you get in and out and a stone hole in the front offside fog lamp lens its about as good as you'll get. All the proper work been done.

Bloke looks at it, his mate looks at it, both drive it. Bloke tells me he's gonna call me back to agree a price and exchange bank details for deposit payment. He doesn't call back.

He emails me saying he's decided against it. Then say's "if you want 10k for it I suggest you fix the scuffed seat and the fog lamp lens".

If the car was perfect I'd advertise it for more!!!

He seemed ok in person but a real condescending and clueless chap over email. Ignored all the positives about top end gaskets all being replaced, all of them!! Clutch done, proper history and not a spec of rust ot damaged paint in sight except normail light stone chipping on the front.

Some people are clueless.

Rant over.
Old 04 October 2004, 03:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

A bloke who bought my last car moaned at me for taking out the carpet mats.

Completely ignoring that it just had over £200 of suspension, exhaust and brakes spent on it.
Old 04 October 2004, 03:08 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

What wound me up is the guy didn't seem fussed that EVERY problem (expensive at that) had been done and seemed more bothered about paying proper money for a proper car. Fixing the scuffed seat and changing a fog lamp lens is hardly a major issue - then he emailed me trying to tell me what my car was worth, based on 2 minimal points.....IT'S A 14YR OLD CAR. I was going to bite but decided against it.

Some things are important when buying any old car, particularly a Porsche. Oh well, I'll sell it to someone who actually knows about the model.

Last edited by Senior_AP; 04 October 2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04 October 2004, 03:30 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

I hear you Ap, sounds like the sort of gimp that belives beauty is only skin deep IYSWI M he'll learn the hard way and rue the day he passed up the porker with just a seat and lamp prob
Old 04 October 2004, 03:40 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivepint
I hear you Ap, sounds like the sort of gimp that belives beauty is only skin deep IYSWI M he'll learn the hard way and rue the day he passed up the porker with just a seat and lamp prob
Especially when he pays out over 2 grand on oil leaks, brakes, caliper plates, clutch, cambelts and a decent service.

Fine by me, I'll keep the old girl.
Old 04 October 2004, 03:44 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

People just dont seem to like admitting they aren't sure,or have changed their mind,or want to look at another car first before making a decision so they make up all sorts of crap excuses.
Old 04 October 2004, 03:49 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
People just dont seem to like admitting they aren't sure,or have changed their mind,or want to look at another car first before making a decision so they make up all sorts of crap excuses.
Crap indeed!!! Though your car is perfect, I'm not gonna buy it cos it's got a scuffed seat and a small hole in the lens.

14yr old car, people!! lol

Last edited by Senior_AP; 04 October 2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04 October 2004, 04:27 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Perhaps he's seen you slating it on snet?
Being serious, he probably wasn't serious. Had that when i sold the M3 - guy comes along, looks at the car, agrees it's the best he's seen etc, has a test drive, goes away after agreeing a price, hear nothing more. Didn't matter 'cos the car sold itself to the next viewer - and you'll probably do the same. Theres always these time wasting w4nkers unfortunately.

Think yourself lucky you're not selling a Scoob - you'd have everyone and their chav round to look and pick holes
Old 04 October 2004, 04:50 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CraigH
Perhaps he's seen you slating it on snet?
Being serious, he probably wasn't serious. Had that when i sold the M3 - guy comes along, looks at the car, agrees it's the best he's seen etc, has a test drive, goes away after agreeing a price, hear nothing more. Didn't matter 'cos the car sold itself to the next viewer - and you'll probably do the same. Theres always these time wasting w4nkers unfortunately.

Think yourself lucky you're not selling a Scoob - you'd have everyone and their chav round to look and pick holes
Excellent. Good point!!! I may even keep the old girl now, I've really been enjoying her recently. I've fixed all the issues and am beginning to enjoy it alot. If it doesn't sell I'll start on suspension/engine etc.

Felt great when I was showing him it, was thinking "I don't wanna sell this now".

I give up. lol
Old 04 October 2004, 04:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

typical british ppl....they hate to say no to your face so they lie.

best viewer i had for my TVR was a bloke who drove miles, knock on my door and said "mate, now i've seen it...i just aint interested" nice change and saved me faffing about with him for nothing!
Old 04 October 2004, 04:54 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

A bit like viewing houses - how many people actually walk out and say "no thanks, didn't like it". Not many.

But the guy's e-mail was certainly unnecessary in this instance.
Old 04 October 2004, 04:59 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
A bit like viewing houses - how many people actually walk out and say "no thanks, didn't like it". Not many.

But the guy's e-mail was certainly unnecessary in this instance.
Exactly. A simple I'm not going to buy it would have been sufficient. I don't need advice from someone that knows nothing at all about them.

Never mind its been perfectly maintained and is genuine and immaculate - its got a hole the fog light lens