Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave Review, Raindance 15th Birthday Rave 25/09/04

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2004, 10:42 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave Review, Raindance 15th Birthday Rave 25/09/04

As with all of Raindance parties, a special kind of anticipation surrounds the buildup to the event. Under normal circumstances this is something peculiar to Raindance, its blend of old and new, not to mention showcasing music which is rarely played out anywhere else means a certain amount of exitement is justified. On this occasion though, there was another reason. Reaching the big "One five" is a pretty remarkable acheivement for a rave promotion and as such a party which is a must attend event anyway (for me at least), took new ground in how badly I wanted to be there.
To say nothing of the lineup packed full of no-nonsense entertainers, in all three of the arenas I was intending to visit, not to mention the lengths the promoters go to to keep the lineup fresh and exiting, as well as the novel afterparty idea which saw the total length of the rave push 15 hours, saw me do something which I havn't done for quite a while now, buy a ticket more than a week before the event. Okay they were for 15 quid instead of the usual 16.50 plus booking fee, but I wanted to have a paper ticket for this party long before the mad scramble started to snap up the last remaining few.
This sensible choice was vindicated a few days closer to the event when I started hearing of people having trouble finding tickets, but tbh that didnt bother me. I was happy in the knowledge that I had a ticket and I was going, no matter what.
As usual for a raindance party, I got the the SEOne very early. I had been reliably informed that the place was opening at 9pm instead of 10 becuase the rave had completely sold out. However it would have been rude not to sink a few at the nearby meetup to catch up with old friends. But as 9 approached I couldnt hold back anymore. I was having pre rave butterflies and the only thing to stop them was join the queue.
Once I had slid in after spotting a few friends, I set about finishing my energy drinks and having fun with the clockwork guardsman who is a regular fixture outside these parties. After only a 20 minute wait, the queue rapidly moved forward and after handing over my ticket and not even getting searched, I was in.
After sorting out a few necessasary things I had to attend to (earplugs and securing an armband for the afterparty) I was straight into the Hardcore arena for the first set of the night I wanted to see. When I entered, DJ Crista was on the decks and Spenno was on the mic. even though it was the "Warmup" set, a growing band of Hardcore ravers were firmly camped in front of the main stage and were dancing away to what Crista had to offer. In this case it was an old skool Hardcore set which, despite the discomfort of a gallon of lager, luckozade and redbull inside me, I couldnt help but dance to. As she worked through her hour the crowd got bigger and bigger, all of them dancing away to the rushy, euphoric tune selection including "Love and Devotion", "Eyeopener", "Can you feel the passion", "You had it all", "4am" and finishing on one of my personal favourites "Autumn Days". from a date of release perspective, it was all over the place, but none of the party crew on the dancefloor were complaining, least of all me. It was a top way to start the night off cos by the time Crista was finished with me, I was ready for another 14 hours of the same.
Next up after Crista had finished, was another DJ making his Raindance debut. Scott Devotion pushed the night ahead with a blinding mix of new and unreleased tunes. Together with some well known tunes to break up the fresh music like "Always and forever" and "Died oh RIP" Scoot also dropped "Overdose", "So Much more", "Playing God" and an addition of his own creation "In my Dreams" The music was very good for brand new stuff, creating a fast and banging set. High energy tunes were coming thick and fast and the crowd in the place were dancing like mad at the end. The arena had filled up by now and Scott rocked the place in a workmanlike manner. Although the music was very dancable, I was preoccupied at the back of the arena with a bunch of giggling ravers, inflating ballons like mad. All this was for the next DJ in the Hardcore arena, one half of Elation's front pair Ponder and HB. After Scott devotion had finished, they and MC Elmo replaced them onstage and started their set of as only they know how. However they were hindered by a bunch of ballon carrying maniacs charging the main stage and hurling close on 100 balloons with the birthday boy, Mark HB's face on them! Unfazed by the ravers birthday celebrations, the Elation boys got on with there set, further enhancing the raving crew's night with a top mix of breakbeat and 4/4 based hardcore. I was concentrating on dancing so much that I can hardly name any of the tunes, but I do remember them dropping "Night to remember"( how apt) and "New Zeland Story" into their hour. MC Elmo was on top form for his set as well with a clear sign of him not messing about as he took his top off and MC'd nekkid from the waist up to show he was serious about hyping the already hyped crowd. These three totally justifed why they are a regular fixture on a Raindance lineup with them leaving the decks after they were finished in the knowledge of a job well done.
Another pairing with a consistant record of first class performances was up next. Namely Cris-E-Manic and Uplift of Raw Elements on the decks and Smiley and Spenno on the mic. Four of the scene's hardest workers at the helm ment only one thing. I was witnessing the set of the night with The MCs going back to back in a VERY effective fashion and Crissy and Uplift going hell for leather behind the decks. Top notch tunage kept me dancing throughout and Uplifts half hour EQing session with the sound guy meant that the tunes were listenable, if a little quiet. Not that I was concerned with how the system was going at this point. I had one thing on my agenda and that was bouncing round the arena with a big smile on my face. Not had with what they were playing. Throughout their hour Crissy and Uplift dropped "Midnight resistance", a remix of "Generate Electricity", "Static", gave "Died-oh RIP" another airing and finished off with Captain Skullfuk's excellent "Shooting Filth". Like I said, set of the night, this one. I had a huge grin on throughout this set and I couldnt stop dancing no matter what.
After three hours of Hardcore, I needed a change. Seduction was on next in the Hardcore room and under normal circumstances I would have stayed to see him, but its not everyday you get to see a Whizzkick Live PA and that was what was going on next door in the main arena. I dint know what to expect, but I didnt go away dissapointed. Three guys on various machines on the mainstage pumping out obscure but absolutely amazing Oldskool Breakbeat Hardcore for an hour is not something I will be unhappy with and this time it was all systems go for an hour of dancing round the main arena like a loon. I cant name any of the tunes, they were all totally unknown to me, but I didnt care at all. This was what I come to raves like Raindance for and I werent gonna waste it by pondering the tune selection. Instead I danced like a madman till the end of the set and went away with a smile on my face a mile wide. Never seen Whizzkick live before. Cant wait to see them again now.
Unsually for me, I went on a bit of a waffle mission around about this time. I think I needed to because of the incredible heat within the venue. I was overheating like a goodun after Whizzkick were done and I needed to cool down so I hung round near the cooler back end of the arena and chatted to friends while sipping water.
Not for too long though, as Billy "Daniel" Bunter drew me back into the Hardcore arena for another of his excellent classic sets. Spenno had joined him on the mic and the two of them got to work as I quicky got back to familiar ground of dancing to Hardcore I love. Sticking to the classics, yet still chucking a few unusual tunes to pique our interests, saw my hands shoot into the air at more times than any other time in the night. "Toytown", "Patry Time", "Rainbow High in the sky", "Higher Love", and "Round in my head Baby" meant only one thing, I had to get up and dance to it. I know I've heard them all before, but it was good to hear em again and I liked what Spenno and Bunter gave me.
It was so good that I had overheated again by the time Bunter's set was over. With Kev Energy and Smiley on next I knew I had to cool down again or risk permanant damage. Fortunately more water and a bit of a girly sit down and I was ready to enter the Hardcore arena again and dance to a much needed injection of freeform into the party. Kev was on top form for for this one, Smiley had taken over the mic and was doing a great job of controlling the crowd. I cant remember the last time I saw him MC to freeform, but he was keeping it minimalist, then busting out some quality lyrics to keep the crowd on their toes. Kev on the other hand was occupied with pushing the BPM ever skyward and keeping the crowd dancing. Not difficult with tunes like "Overdrive", the "We will rock you" Remix, another remix of "Addagio" this time and my personal favourite "No one can compete" It was a bad idea to dance to an hour of 180 bpm freeform hardcore with me being hot and tired as I was, but didnt care as soon as the tunes moved me from within. Another set which was well worth downing 4 litres of water in order to to stay vertical throughout.
Next up was another return to the classics, courtesy of the men who know what the ravers want, Vibes and Livelee. No messing about here, the boys onstage knew what the crowd expected of them and gave it to us in spadeloads. Livelee was as good as he always was and despite the soundquality taking a nosedive I was happy enough to dance away to the finest cheese the scene has to offer. "Find a way to your heart", "Music so Wonderful", "Heart of Gold", "Techno Wonderland" these are just a few of the tunes that got me dancing. I gave as long as I could, then I danced some more. It was one of those sets where you start thinking "I wish he would play something I dont like so I can have a rest", but it werent happening on this occassion. Eventually I had to admit defeat and went to get soem water while Vibes and Livelee were still going full tilt.
While I wanted to return, I felt I had to slow down as I still had a long way to go till the end of the night. I still wanted to dance though, so I headed to the Jenkins Lane arch to take it down a notch or two. I had put off going into here for too long and it werent long before I realised why. The house that The Drunken Allstars were playing was exactly what I needed to lose myself in. Awesome tunes abounded like "Voodoo Ray", and "Made in two minutes" while the visuals were handled by video screens showing footage from the old Sunrise when Raves were outdoor, massive and free. I cant remember how long I spent in here, but I plan to spend a lot longer the next time this party touches down. Dancing to House music while being reminded of where todays scene came from is my idea of a good night out.
All too soon, it was time to return to the Hardcore room. With good reason as well, Lukozade was on and he brought me bang up to date with some awesome tunes. Wottsee and Wildcard were on the mic throughout this set and the remaining ravers who hadn't succumbed to the heat were having it hardcore to the blinding tune selection Luke was dropping. Best of all, he played my favourite tune "Chemical Love" and even better the "Free your astra" remix of CLSM's "Free your mind" Its been a while since I heard that tune at a party, NYE was the last time I think :wink:
Next up was another DJ I wanted to see, Robbie Long. Robbie started off really well, dropping "Eyeopener" at the front of his hour, but at this point, the sound system became unlistenable. I wanted to hear what Robbie had in store for us, but not on a system in this state. Reluctantly, I left the Hardcore arena feeling more than a little pissed off.
I was thinking nothing would cheer me up after walking out on one of my favourite DJs, but Vibes on in the Main room helped. I also was interested to see what he would come up with as he had already cheesed it up for a good two hours in the Hardcore room. The party had two hours to go and I was determined to enjoy myself to the max. Helping things on further was a surprise appearence of Robbie Dee on the mic. I have never seen the fuss with "The Original Detonator" at previous raves I have seen him at, but this time he won me over with consumate ease. He didnt MC, he was a proper "Master of ceremonies", dropping lyrics where needs be, making cheeky asides to the crowd, heckling the sound engineer to turn up the rig, and asking someone to check the toilets to see where he'd gone when he didnt oblige. I cant possibly do it justice on paper, but Robbie Dee's performance saved the day for me after I had been feeling low after leaving the Hardcore room. Vibes also did a solid job, as well as Danny C who finished off the night after him. Playing real obscure and dark was the order of the day with frequent bouts of me and Mupster looking at each other saying "Ah, I know this one, what is it?!?!" From this we pieced together a rough tune selection including "No Retreat, No surrender", "Madagaskar", "Let your mind take control of your soul", "Terminator" and finally shutting down the night by dropping Prodigy's "Android". After Robbie had bid the rave fairwell, there was just the afterparty with its random messyness to negotiate before I could make my way home, a full 12 hours of raving behind me. Sorted.

Things I liked:

Lineup - If only every rave had a lineup as good as a Raindance lineup. The scene would be a better place.

Music - Raindance always does this. From a musical perspective it is as diverse and intelligent in a way very few raves can match. Tunes you dont hear very often are usually given a well deserved airing at Raindance.

Production - Bubble machines in the Hardcore arch, Multicoloured laser in the DnB room, Video screens in the Jenkins lane arena showing footage of massive outdoor parties, every arena was given the treatment nessasary to help the party spirit.

Atmosphere - Barticle said it best at the Raindance back in Febuary. "There are events and there are Raves. This is a Rave" Nothing else needs to be said with regard to the atmosphere at this Rave.

Afterparty - Very good idea this one and quite a few people agreed with me by attending. You were greeted by a glass of champagne on entry, The music policy was weird and varied, and party hats, bubble machines and lollypops were scattered around the Deep Blue arch. Top way to finish off the night this one.

Things I liked less -

Raindance has two reoccuring problems. The Heat and the sound system in the Hardcore arch. The heat was sorted out by the placement of two large fans at the front of the Hardcore room. They were going full tilt all night. It was still hot but you could cool down if you wanted to. The sound was particularly bad this time around. The technicians got around to making it sound okay, but they forgot to turn it up while they were doing so. There is something very wrong when you can stand by the main stack and hold a conversation, to say nothing of the fact it was drowned out by the systems in the adjacent rooms whever someone opened the door. There is also something wrong in having a battered sound engineer in the corner, not working to make sure the sound is perfect.

Security - I didnt have a problem with them myself, but I some of my friends were on the receiving end of heavy handed treatment. Not on at all, particularly from a security team with a previously good reputation.

Despite the problems (and the poor quality sound really did **** me off as the night wore on and the heat turned it into more endurance contest than birthday party) it was still a party to remember for all the right reasons. Raindance's slogan is "Wall to wall "Star" DJ lineups, do not, a great party, nessasarly make". They are right as well. what does make a great party is great music, great atmosphere, and a ram packed party full of familiar and not so familiar, yet friendly faces. I had a great time at this rave and with good reason. I defy anyone to go to a Raindance and not come away thoroughly entertained at the end of the night. I know I didwas Whizzkick was amazing, as was the short amount of time I spent in Jenkins Lane, and despite the suspect sound, I had a great time all the while I was in the Hardcore arch due to sublime lineup and astounding tune selection. Last but definitely not least, Robbie Dee at the end of the night was more than enough to convince me of why he has a well deserved legendary reputation . The afterparty was cheap, and good fun too. It capped off a top night out. Raindance has done it again and I for one am going to be at the front of the queue for the forseeable on the back of this one. Heres to another 15 years!
astraboy.
Old 02 October 2004, 04:26 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heard it was rammed and the a/c packed up! still last one i went to i had my jacket on all night cause it was so cold . in the dnb room aswell