Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Received something odd in the post this morning

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2004, 10:02 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Received something odd in the post this morning

Came downstairs and found something a bit odd amongst the bills and junk mail this morning.

It was a brown envelope addressed to a (presumably) financial services company, but with my correct full address and postcode. The address was hand written, and inside were photocopies of three payslips and a TV licence payment schedule - the kind of package you might send to prove your address and income when taking out a loan, perhaps. The name and address on the papers are someone I've never heard of.

My house is only a few years old - we're only the second people to ever live there - and both our neighbours and predecessors seem like decent enough people that I can't see them running a scam. The company name on the envelope doesn't appear on the register at Companies House.

So, any idea what's going on? My address and postcode were spot on, so someone has got them from somewhere.
Old 29 September 2004, 10:04 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

obviously an adress mix up.
Old 29 September 2004, 10:11 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

was your name on it? If not I would send it back to the people who sent it. They possibly had an incorrect postcode and looked up the addy from that.
Old 29 September 2004, 10:11 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Well, yes - but where did this unknown person get my address from at all?
Old 29 September 2004, 10:15 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

if theyve took a post code ie NGxx 7TS and they thought they said NGxx 7VS then the house number it could have came to u.... again send it back with a note saying receipiant not known at this address
Old 29 September 2004, 10:15 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

lots of places you can do that.
Try 192.com
Amazing what you can find out if you sniff about a bit......
R
Old 29 September 2004, 10:17 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Report it to Inland Revenue, and say you want your £50 reward if they find any scammers from subsequent investigations

HEY - even better, why not send it on to a financial services company to get yourself a loan?

Trending Topics

Old 29 September 2004, 10:19 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

So, basically harmless then. I was worried it might be a new scam I hadn't heard of.

I still feel a bit sorry for this poor bloke, I can't help but feel that he's going to get ripped off. If the company isn't on the list at Companies House then there has to be some kind of scam going on somewhere, doesn't there?
Old 29 September 2004, 10:35 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
So, basically harmless then. I was worried it might be a new scam I hadn't heard of.

I still feel a bit sorry for this poor bloke, I can't help but feel that he's going to get ripped off. If the company isn't on the list at Companies House then there has to be some kind of scam going on somewhere, doesn't there?

Nah - The company I work for has one registered name, but we have 4 or 5 other names we use depenging on what we are doing. We also have a number of different addresses, but again, only one of them is registered
Old 29 September 2004, 10:37 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

you could use it to apply for a loan....
Old 29 September 2004, 10:40 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lol The poor guy earns half what I do, I'm not that mean...
Old 29 September 2004, 11:22 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Andy- It's more than likely an address mix up and nothing more.

It happened to me once when I had a large folder delivered to my address. The parcel was addressed to me clearly.

When I opened it the contents were scary. It was full of personal details, including incomes, loan amounts, addresses, card numbers, statements etc of Natwest Bank customers at the bank I was at.

I rang my account manager who was obviously horrified. Within 20 minutes a car was at my gates picking the parcel back up.

A goodwill gesture was added to my account the same day.
Old 29 September 2004, 11:51 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Fair enough - but I'm still puzzled about where this chap can possibly have got my address from in the first place. I could almost understand it if I'd ever heard of the company before but I haven't - and I don't have any loans either apart from my mortgage, so I don't think it's an alias used by a company I do deal with.

And there was me hoping for something exciting to happen to break up my otherwise humdrum existence... oh well, slouch back behind the desk and get on with it I suppose...
Old 29 September 2004, 12:03 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Fair enough - but I'm still puzzled about where this chap can possibly have got my address from in the first place. I could almost understand it if I'd ever heard of the company before but I haven't - and I don't have any loans either apart from my mortgage, so I don't think it's an alias used by a company I do deal with.
As FB said, it sounds like the business mentioned might just have a very similar postcode that was misheard over the phone. The postcode then typed in, come up with your address.
Old 29 September 2004, 12:16 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Default Mee too

I had *exactly* the same thing happen a few weeks ago.

All sorts of conspiracy theories were going round in my head (some F§$&er is trying to get tick out on my house.)

This application was for a mortgage, supported by capital apparently secured against my address.

Quick phone call to the mortgage people - hey presto. Some spotty mailroom oink on $2.50 an hour had put the worng address on the folder. I was told to bin the docuenets (P60's, payslips etc) and forget all about it...

And i had, up until now

C
Old 29 September 2004, 01:16 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

may be no big deal, i have 2 FSA regulated firms and a legal services company...2 are partnerships so dont show on comp. house......often clients will post direct to my home office if im going to be working from home for a few days........maybe your original owners where in that line of business or maybe its a neighbour with the same postcode- in which case only the house number is wrong?