Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pet driving hate - lane disipline

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 11:22 AM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pet driving hate - lane disipline

As the government can't seem to do anything right, how hard would it be to get some sort of campaign to improve lane discipline on motorways (With no financial outlay).

Would be great if this forum started the scheme that cleared up motorways with a simple slogan on your rear window / bumper sticker or something, any thoughts??

(TRY USING THE LEFT LANE - IT’S EMPTY!!)

I was reading somewhere (possibly on here) that the AA or RAC have said that if people pulled over it would increase flow of traffic by 30%.

The IQ of most of the population is pitiful (not you good people) do they not have the grey matter to pull over once in a while. It would keep them awake if they actually performed a manoeuvre other than that of holding people up.

(Normal - overtaking 1 - overtaking 2) I believe is the rule, NOT;

(Lorries - I'm doing 70 so I am allowed to stay in this lane - everyone else willing to do 70+).

If it is free on the left I use it, I don't discriminate, I use 1,2 & 3 the more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

A good Idea? Your thoughts?
Old 28 September 2004, 11:31 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Good idea but as you said:

The IQ of most of the population is pitiful (not you good people) do they not have the grey matter to pull over once in a while. It would keep them awake if they actually performed a manoeuvre other than that of holding people up.
If they haven't got the attention span to pull over, then they haven't got the intelligence to read a sticker in your back window

Worth a try though - would be good if it could get backed by some large motoring organisation
Old 28 September 2004, 05:22 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd like to see us move to 'Freeways' then no one has to know what the right lane is. Hate to say it publicly but I undertake, especialy if land one and two are available.
Old 28 September 2004, 06:15 PM
RB Simon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Don't be ashamed

Originally Posted by JackClark
I'd like to see us move to 'Freeways' then no one has to know what the right lane is. Hate to say it publicly but I undertake, especialy if land one and two are available.
Why do you "hate to say it"?

Extract from the highway code:

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

I take that to mean that you can undertake provided you don't weave in and out!
Old 28 September 2004, 07:06 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Yes, but it states SIMILAR speeds. How 'similar' is defined is another question.
Old 28 September 2004, 07:17 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Yes, but it states SIMILAR speeds. How 'similar' is defined is another question.
It also says this: traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right.

Without saying how much faster.
Old 28 September 2004, 07:51 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've got a plan that'll sort any problem you care to think of, it's called give BOB.T a gun and loads of ammo and leave him to it
Old 28 September 2004, 10:09 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

undertaking is fine on the motorway, its the bobbers and weavers that REALLY get on my **** , this happens to the point that I start to become dangerous to stop letting them get in front of me when they have just been behind me 2 seconds ago. Had a moment on the M1 a few weeks back , it involved a genuine quick slow of the traffic combined with me with my foot on the diesel pedal at 85ish ( kph ) trying to stop some tool in a getting up my inside through a gap in the 2nd lane. result = 85-zero in no time whatsoever, 3000 miles worn off my tyres and 2 ft from the beemer in front <phew> I braced for impact and looked at the rear view mirror-massive cloud of smoke afterwards I realised that although this *****'s driving was wrong, I could have been me that caused the accident.

I just can't let em' do it - sorry.

Last edited by mj; 28 September 2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 28 September 2004, 10:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

When ever red mist like that occurs I have it welding into my brain to think this:

"Is 15ft of tarmac REALLY worth argueing about?"

Helps me cool off and let them get on with it
Old 29 September 2004, 12:46 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

I used to be quite pedantic about the "overtake on the right" thing, but since doing a lot more motorway driving I've given up and will happily overtake all day in lane 1. All the tossers sitting in lane 2 have no intention of ever going into lane 1 (except 50metres from their exit slip road) so it's not like they're going to suddenly realise that you are actually allowed to use it and pull over in front of you.

It's often the quickest lane funnily enough
Old 29 September 2004, 08:24 AM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul_M
I used to be quite pedantic about the "overtake on the right" thing, but since doing a lot more motorway driving I've given up and will happily overtake all day in lane 1. All the tossers sitting in lane 2 have no intention of ever going into lane 1 (except 50metres from their exit slip road) so it's not like they're going to suddenly realise that you are actually allowed to use it and pull over in front of you.

It's often the quickest lane funnily enough
Couldn't agree more and this is what I have come to realise. The problem I find is when the traffic volume increases beyond this and because no one pulls over everything comes to a standstill for no apparent reason. Ever been held up for ages (in lanes 1, 2 &3) to only find that 200 meters down the road over the crest of a hill it is relatively clear.

I've driven in Germany a number of times, the lane discipline there is second to non. Lorries (legally) stay in Lane 1 going up hills, all motorists pull over as soon as they have completed there overtaking manoeuvre. Its a joy to drive there.

(Disclaimer - they do have traffic jams there I know, but this is in part, due to it being illegal to move your car once you have had an accident until the police have turned up, no matter how small causes major tail backs.)

I suppose I'll have to grin and bare it but I wish there was a national shaming campaign of some sort.
Old 29 September 2004, 09:16 AM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by hutton_d
It's not so much lack of brain cells that stops people moving over it's the 'I'd have to keep moving in and out of lane 1 all the time' excuse that most use (they mean that every 10 mins or so they may have to change lanes!!! I keep on at the wife about it - comments like 'so don't you like lane 1 then ...' She can't slap me very hard when she's driving ... :-)

I think they should bring back the 'public information' ads - the first one about lane discipline!

Dave
Perhaps even getting a mention during your driving test might be a good idea. Hold on one minute - how about an extended test / lessons before you are allowed to drive on it. The system at the moment is pathetic, practice a couple of 3 point turns/parallel parks and your allowed on to a motorway, its really down to the individual to read up on motorway rules / etiquette.

Surely the government would do it if they thought they could squeeze a little more out of us motorists on test fees etc (New ones that is - I know how to drive).
Old 29 September 2004, 10:35 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Everyone needs to pay more attention and stop worrying about other people on the motorway, concentrate on their own driving and stay left. I hate the "I'm doing 70, they shouldn't do more than 70" brigade and the plain idiots who you can flash and fog light for ten minutes and they still don't look in the mirror.... As far as trying to prevent people undertaking me dangerously / weaving madly (I undertake safely) I just stay out of their way and let 'em get on with it!

Germany, and even France, know how to drive on the motorway... The only car I had to flash on the autobahn to get out of my way - English plates... Motorway driving lessons must become compulsory I say....

Last edited by 2000TLondon; 29 September 2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old 29 September 2004, 01:03 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Like JackClark says introduce freeways! In England 95% of the driving public can't see the correlation between poor driving skills and conjestion (not us lot though): ) and so do not have the intelligence to do anything about it, As most of the goverment probably fall into this catagory also, and refuse do do anything about it i think the best thing to do is just undertake the ******* .

Makes me feel better anyway! lol

Don't know about you guys but if we put in place a motorway simulator for new drivers passing there test to educate them in the first place, banned the people who persistantly do it, and sort out the lorry speed limit somehow so they dont spend ALL day trying to overtake each other then we wouldn't need lane widening and all this crap that they introduce!

Just a thought anyway. Ohh if i were in charge!

Comper100
Old 29 September 2004, 02:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

They could stop 90% of bad lane discipline at a stroke if they wanted: just make it ilegal for women to drive:

Alcazar