Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice from legal type bods

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 12:23 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice from legal type bods

The wife has a degree from Plymouth Uni in Human Biosciences (3 year course). 2 1/2 years through the course they announce that the degree isn't accredited with the Institute of Biomedical Sciences, so basically it ain't worth the paper it's written on.

The wife wants a job doing what she trained for, but because of these ar$eholes she can't apply for what she wants. Bottom line is we have to pay for her to do her MSc before anyone will take any notice of what she spent 3 years of her life slogging her guts out for (and £11000 )

The Uni never mentioned this, and there is certainly nothing in writing. Is there any legal noise we can make? Civil law is not something I know an awful lot about so would be very grateful for anyone that does know what they're on about to point me in the right direction.

Very grateful for any pointers anyone can give
Old 28 September 2004, 02:57 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at the time of applying and commencing the course was it advertised/listed as accredited? UCAS will be able to tell you this by looking back through their records.
If it was then you have a very good case.
Agree with above too- many mouths make more noise etc
Old 28 September 2004, 09:25 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say the legal term might be misrepresentation - that they convinced her into a contract that she wouldn't have agreed to if she'd known the full facts beforehand.

Your main problem is going to be proving the misrep. If she simply assumed, then its her problem. If they made lots of noises but didn't promise anything, then it's worth a shot (but tricky).

Check also that it wasn't accredited during the first year but was removed at the third due to some other funny circumstance (like they didn't pay some licence fee to the Chartered Institute or whatever). In which case that's a whole different story.