Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone have/had Carpal Tunnel Sydrome?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 08:25 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Anyone have/had Carpal Tunnel Sydrome?

Just been diagnosed with it. The symptons are loss of feeling in the hands, especially the dominant one. During the day the feeling isn't completely lost but I can only write for a certain amount of time before the pen just drops out of my hand. Night times are the worst. I wake with complete loss of feeling and have to place both hands vertically out of the bed to make them feel normal again.
I had blood tests yesterday as certain thyroid conditions can be a root cause.
The Doctor suggested an operation and was happy to send me to a consultant right away. I didn't want this as an operation will mean a long recovery time. At least a month aparently. That means no work as I'm self employed. After spending 12 months getting it off the ground and finally starting to make decent money, this is a bit of a nightmare.
But I guess we'll manage.
On a personal level the biggest issue is I won't be able to go to the gym for at least a month, or at the very least do a routine involving my hands. I haven't not used a gym for a month for at least 15 years and as funny as it sounds I'm dreading not being able to go.
Oh, and no wanking.
So if anyone has had the operation, was it a success? Are their any problems I should be aware off? Stuff like that?
Thanks.

Andy

Last edited by andrewdelvard; 28 September 2004 at 08:31 AM.
Old 28 September 2004, 08:40 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

I've had this since i started commuting on my motorbike. Not as bad as you though - just at night. It's a right pain though. During the winter when I use the train it gets better so I have never considered treatment.
Old 28 September 2004, 08:52 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Yeah Andy, I have had the op, went in for day surgery, but unfortunately they also found I had ruptured tendon sheaths in my hand, so op was a bit more intricate with having to have a tenosynovectomy as well and I ended up staying in for 7 days. Healing obviously took a lot longer, but was a success.
Old 28 September 2004, 09:16 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies
So Redkop, is a month about right for the recovery time? Oh and do they operate on both wrists or just the one that causes more of a problem?
Old 28 September 2004, 09:28 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

If I had just had the CTS op it would have been about a month, I spoke to others who had it done and they all said about a month. Mine took about 12 months - My hand was in a splint for just over 6 weeks - then I had 4 months of physio and was told to take it steady using my hand - I had managed to do a seriously good job of rupturing the tendon sheaths.

Bizarre thing was though, I had gone in to have CTS done on both hands, but they deferred it, because of the tenosynovectomy. I never did go back to have it done and it sort of got better all on it's own
Old 28 September 2004, 09:42 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Great. Thanks for that Redkop, sorry for what you went through, but you got better so thats what counts.