Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another Dubai Thread

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2004, 11:29 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Dubai Thread

Sorry folks, I did trawl thorugh the previous Dubai threads but couldn't find exactly what I was after.

What is the general dress code for the place? As it is really hot would rather avoid wearing full length clothes, if it can be avoided. I know the beaches and hotel pools aren't an issue, but say going for a meal or out shopping?

Also, best places for shopping, want to get an IPOD, Dixons Duty Free is always sold out, are they cheaper over there?

All advice gratefully received.

Asif
Old 26 September 2004, 11:40 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

It's no biggie, you can wear short pants and short sleeved shirts.

It's only at the Burj-Al Arab, the 7 star hotel you need to wear full length clothing but even when I was in there some guests didn't adhere to the dress code.

As for cheap goods, I found the airport the best place but you'll only have the large shopping area upon departure, on arrival it's just **** and booze.
Old 27 September 2004, 08:16 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Whatever you want - it's the modern equivalent of Blackpool, Chav central for the Middle East
Old 27 September 2004, 08:44 AM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

When I was there in the heat of August, I didn't notice anybody walking round the city with shorts on - although obviously the hotels are different. I would suggest that most of the restaurants, not just the Burj, expect people not to wear shorts in their restaurants. If you're going with a female partner and she's wearing anything remotely revealing which we wouldn't bat an eyelid at, she WILL be gawped at in the streets.

Electronics - head for the electronic Soux just down from the gold soux - thats where I got my Kenwood car hi-fi for almost half UK price. Haggle hard!!!

Ian
Old 27 September 2004, 10:59 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

Nice one fella's,

Electronic Souk sounds very good! Interesting idea about the car stereo, how did you know it would work over here? Or is it that they all run on 12v?

I've got all my summer clothing from Miami, will use it there, should be ok.

Funnily enough we are staying at the Burj, and I was told specifically it is ok to dress down there.

I have read somewhere that they use the same plugs as the UK, is this correct? Can I leave my adaptors at home?

Thanks again.

Asif
Old 28 September 2004, 12:36 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I have read somewhere that they use the same plugs as the UK, is this correct? Can I leave my adaptors at home?
Can't remember but even if they don't decent hotels always supply adaptors FOC.

Whatever you want - it's the modern equivalent of Blackpool, Chav central for the Middle East
Old 28 September 2004, 09:10 AM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

All cars are 12 volts. Although I'm sure someone will come on with some oddity that runs on summit different. The Kenwood I bought was the exact same model as over here KVT925DVD. If you buy something like this - technically you're suppsoed to declare it at customs and pay import duty and VAT. Technically.

Dubai is also the same region code as UK for DVD's - they have very cheap DVD players - but a lot of them don't have SCART sockets - they use component video connectors.

Dubai is also 240volts 3 pin plugs - no adapters needed.

Ian
Old 28 September 2004, 06:18 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Nice one Ian.

Many thanks.

Asif