Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IS 20 plenty?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2004, 02:53 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 20 plenty?

These 20s plenty signs are going up everywhere but nobody seems to bother me included my scoob can't do 20 unless i am in second gear

what i was wondering is how many people on here actually observe the 20 signs i DON'T mean in your own street i mean everywhere the signs are?

I personally think 30s fine it is the people who insist on walking on the road that are the real problem show them a few films of what happens if they are hit by a car EVEN AT 20 education is better than prevention.
Old 15 September 2004, 03:42 PM
Huxley Chick
Scooby Regular

what I can't understand is why the drivers always get the blame if they hit someone

no-one asks what the person was doing in the middle of the road in the first place.

the kids up my road are a prime example. they play in the middle of the road, they see a car coming yet they don't move out of the way

bring back the green cross code man, that's what I say
Old 15 September 2004, 03:46 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

my scoob can't do 20 unless i am in second gear
don't think much of your torque figures then

Seriously, twenty mph zones are fine by me, past schools etc. I agree with Huxley about the little sods playing in the road. Had a few stones chucked at the car the other day for daring to interrupt a game in the middle of the street.

Moral of the story: Don't get lost trying to park near the Uni in Leeds. The backstreets are like "The Hills Have Eyes!"
Old 15 September 2004, 03:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

what I can't understand is why the drivers always get the blame if they hit someone

no-one asks what the person was doing in the middle of the road in the first place.
Totally agree. I really hate the cocky sods who DELIBERATELY saunter across a road in front of you, as if to say, " Look at me, I'm hard, I can make a car slow down." I've witnessed grown men and women doing it.

Bad manners as well. When I cross a road, even on a Zebra crossing, I try to get out of the driver's way asap.

Alcazar
Old 15 September 2004, 04:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The issue is that those who are careful will adjust tier speed to suit the conditions. It could unlimited outside a school but most people would slow down to a crawl past a school at home time anyway. All this does it try to cater for the lowest common denominator and persecute the rest who can make a value judegment and realise there is no need to go as slow as 20 past a school at 3am whene nobody is about. We need to train drivers better not dumb the whole system down.
Old 15 September 2004, 04:40 PM
Huxley Chick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
It could unlimited outside a school but most people would slow down to a crawl past a school at home time anyway.
I live opposite a school (& it's a dead end, not a through road) & the parents are the worst offenders.
They belt up the road like there's no tomorrow, & their parking verges on the ridiculous. I've seen them park so far over the pavement that it forces people out on to the road to get past - how dumb is that
Old 15 September 2004, 04:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Huxley Chick
I live opposite a school (& it's a dead end, not a through road) & the parents are the worst offenders.
They belt up the road like there's no tomorrow, & their parking verges on the ridiculous. I've seen them park so far over the pavement that it forces people out on to the road to get past - how dumb is that
Just goes to show that a 20 mph speed limit sign is doing naff all to reduce speed. Speed cameras are doing nothing to reduce speed, judging by the ever increasing number of prosecutions. Just goes to show that it is better driver training we need.
Old 15 September 2004, 05:14 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by alcazar
. I really hate the cocky sods who DELIBERATELY saunter across a road in front of you, as if to say, " Look at me, I'm hard, I can make a car slow down."
Alcazar

I usually find that sticking it in first, flooring it and dipping the clutch speeds them up