Imports. Service history.

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2004, 08:09 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Imports. Service history.

Hi All

If you were buying a japanese import how important would it be for it to have service history (obviously accurately translated for the non-japanese speakers amongst us)? Would you be more willing to pay more for a car with it rather than without it?

Thanks

Brett
Old 09 September 2004, 08:33 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

not important in the slightest.
Old 09 September 2004, 08:37 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Last edited by AndyC_772; 10 September 2004 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Clearly I know nothing about Japanese used cars :(
Old 10 September 2004, 12:14 AM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately though, service histories on Jap cars are relatively rare, so you shouldn't necessarily be put off if a car doesn't have one. The Japs are generally much better at looking after their cars than we over here, so a proper auction sheet is normally enough to prove the mileage and legitimacy of the car IMHO.

LC
Old 10 September 2004, 03:03 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Whilst all new Japanese vehicles are supplied with a service book in their home market it is extremely rare to find a used vehicle sold with a service history. The reason is principally that all Japanese dealers have a computerised service record and the book is seldom completed. In auction you will probably find less than one vehicle in a thousand that has a service book corectly filled in. I will admit that I have completely made that figure up, but I must have looked at over 3,000 cars offered for sale at auction over the last four weeks and I havent seen four with a service book. There are few parallels between the Japanese motor trade and ours and culturally their is a chasm between the two countries. I will try to explain sinmply: The Japanese do not maintain their own vehicles for a number of reasons but the simplist is that if you dont service your car the dealer wont accept it as a part exchange. No part ex means no new car as you have to have a licenced and Police inspected parking space for every vehicle that you own. Ive just read what Lem0ncurd has said and I would agree. As long as you can establish the vehicles grade (3.5/4+) & odometer reading at auction then it should be fine.

Ive just read the comment about a vehicle being potentially stolen; whilst this is obviously made in good faith it isnt accurate. Very few vehicles are stolen in Japan; they never were. Quentin Wilson was misled and he has since retracted his comments. The Japanese state inspects and de-registers all vehicles that leave the country; a Japanese vehicle may not leave Japan with its regristration plates..... They arent stolen.

Simon
Old 10 September 2004, 07:10 AM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

Nice thread,
I agree service history is good but not essential. However you have to remember that the Japos know as much about their cars as you do about Eastenders. They know their cars and are very neat and tidy people so their cars are usually looked after. If you can find a service book - great - if not then just look for the usual wear and etar sign - knocking noises - etc - otherwise you have nothing to worry about. We seldom have any problems with the engines we have imported as private customers however in saying all this there is always an exception. be careful and confident at the same time.
Old 10 September 2004, 09:32 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks everybody for your comments. Very helpful.

'However you have to remember that the Japos know as much about their cars as you do about Eastenders' I know nothing about eastenders whatsoever. I gather that this isnt what you meant

Thanks again.

I will be a little less concerned about an actual service history when i go over there. I guess it will just be a bonus should the car I select actually have one.

cheers
Old 10 September 2004, 09:59 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Mine is fully stamped by subaru of tokyo, but it was a personal import (british owner lived over there , then bought it back from japan) rather than through an auction.

Steve
Old 10 September 2004, 02:35 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks steve.

Nice to know that they do exist with fully stamped up books.

I had better sort my life out now and get plane tickets booked!

Last edited by BrettC; 10 September 2004 at 03:48 PM. Reason: still can't spell
Old 10 September 2004, 02:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Is it just me who thinks nearly every imported jap car has 60k miles on the clock? every 1 I saw when looking had 60k on and I eventually because suspicious of the SH... not worth a penny IMO
Old 10 September 2004, 02:50 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

davegtt - i believe this is somthign to do with japanese laws regarding mileage of a vehicle. Cant rememebr what I was told really, but it is something that makes a car with 60k+ miles a lot less desirable to a Japanese owner.

I was told this by a Japanese chap who came to see us at work so I suspect it is true