Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help! more dog training problems

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 10:26 AM
ALBOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! more dog training problems

As there is a few dog threads on the go heres my problem.

My dog is trained to pee outside, but in the middle of the night he cant hold on and just pees wherever i.e. in his crate or on the floor.

I dont know if i'm looking for too much as hes only 4 1/2 months old.

In the daytime he barks at the door to be let out but at night be barks and by the time i've got downstairs hes already gone, not to mention the fact at 4.30 in the morning the last thing you want to do is clean up.

Any advise would help.

Alan
Old 03 September 2004, 10:30 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Let him out just before bed and dont give him anything else to drink. Works for my kids....

(I don't actually put them n the garden, but you know what I mean)
Old 03 September 2004, 10:43 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

as fb says, but 4.5 months seems a reasonable amount of time to expect toilet training to have been finished (we were V lucky with ours, and it took 1 week!)!!!
Old 03 September 2004, 10:49 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I might suggest to remove his water bowl from 7pm, but your vet could say differently (depends on him still growing and perhaps eating dry food).
Old 03 September 2004, 10:54 AM
ALBOY
Scooby Regular

I cant believe how he just pisses where he sleeps and goes back to sleep on it, therefore hes constantly smelling of ****.
Old 03 September 2004, 10:57 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I started out with newspaper on the floor by the door and every time they go put them on that ........ then progress to opening the door and chucking them out everytime i saw them on the paper.
4 1/2 months is still pretty young mate ...... at least it barks to tell you it needs to go. It will learn it just takes time.....I dont think leaving it with no water is the right thing to do personally.
Old 03 September 2004, 11:03 AM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

Try cleaning the floor where he goes with some biological washing powder/liquid. It will remove any trace smells that might be engouraging him to use the same place again.
Old 03 September 2004, 11:06 AM
ALBOY
Scooby Regular

The missus mops the floors with bleach every day and it makes no difference.
Old 03 September 2004, 11:46 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

ALBOY, listen mate, a Bulldog is not like every other dog, mine is about 15months old now and only 6 months ago he start being able to manage getting through the night without the toilet.... but to do that I have to walk him about 11:30pm and I get up about 7:30am, its still 50/50.

NEVER take the water bowl away from the bully. they suffer from heat stroke even in mild conditions and need to drink lots.... this is also half the reason they are bad for weak bladders..... been there done that, we mop the kitchen floor everyday too and its a pain int ar$e but its something that needs doing.

ohh they are also known for not giving 2 hoots about their environment so u will find them weeing in their own bed, my Winston used to do it before he passed away but nelson doesnt, its very common for a bitch to do it though not a dog....

good luck
Old 03 September 2004, 11:52 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
at least it barks to tell you it needs to go. It will learn it just takes time.....I dont think leaving it with no water is the right thing to do personally.
aye be grateful for the barking, nelson doesnt bark and we have to watch him everytime he wanders into the kitchen, we've found 90% of the time the back door is left open which makes the house cold
Old 03 September 2004, 12:03 PM
ALBOY
Scooby Regular

Cheers davegtt, removing the water was never an option as I know about the heat thing, I've been told not to walk him as hes still growing and I want as much fat on him as possible so that when I do walk him it turns to muscle and he makes a fine dog, so I've been told anyway.
Old 03 September 2004, 12:07 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

at 4 and 1/2 months I wouldnt worry about walking him, it can only help his bone structure... not too much though... i.e a short STROLL around the block and his pace mine can now do 20 minutes round the field quite happily

he doesnt go on walks as much anymore now we open the front door if he wants to go out he will and we'll follow but if we get his lead and he runs to his bed I'll coax him outside in the garden to do his business.

ours exercises alot tbh and he still weighed in at the vets at 30kg this week but doesnt look over weight in the slightest, probably about right although the breed standards is 25kg
Old 03 September 2004, 12:07 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

do u have any other probs with him? they cant half be a pain in the ar$e...lol
Old 03 September 2004, 12:12 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

what an odd choice of dog? it pisses on the floor and you cant walk it and if you take the water away in the eve it will pass out??? isnt that a clue as to the poor direction the breed has gone in?

its like Darwin in reverse!
Old 03 September 2004, 12:30 PM
ALBOY
Scooby Regular

Other probs, constantly wanting to bite us on the feet or hands or anywhere, cant get to eat anything without him thinking it should be his, still love him though
Old 03 September 2004, 12:35 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Alboy .......

Make sure you NEVER give him anything from your plate or any scraps after you have finished eating. If you have done this in the past it will be why he worries you for food when you eat.
Old 03 September 2004, 12:35 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Tiggs, as with many breeds Im afraid, and it will continue so at least I know if Im a loving owner whos going to look after him well and make sure hes healthy then at least its not as bad as being in pi55 poor conditions, some1's got to love them and theyre great at loving u back

Alboy, untrainable mate, as said mines 15months now and still bites feet, I usually just stand still until he gets bored but I could be there for a while also the food thing is starting to become a prob for us now, thought we'd got it covered but the last 2 months hes starting to get back to his old ways.... I tend to lock him out of the room when I eat unless he sits patiently and not too close
Old 03 September 2004, 12:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

as gutman pug says, I usually put the food from the plate into his dog bowl, I dont like chucking good food away if the dog will eat it
Old 03 September 2004, 01:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Tiggs, as with many breeds Im afraid, and it will continue so at least I know if Im a loving owner whos going to look after him well and make sure hes healthy then at least its not as bad as being in pi55 poor conditions, some1's got to love them and theyre great at loving u back

Alboy, untrainable mate, as said mines 15months now and still bites feet, I usually just stand still until he gets bored but I could be there for a while also the food thing is starting to become a prob for us now, thought we'd got it covered but the last 2 months hes starting to get back to his old ways.... I tend to lock him out of the room when I eat unless he sits patiently and not too close

wouldnt it be fairer to stop the breed breeding? there are planty of breeds with no or few health issues so why press on with breeding dogs that are ill from day 1?

and isnt buying them just adding to the problem? crule to be kind but if decent ppl didnt buy them demand would slow?
Old 03 September 2004, 01:54 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Not gonna happen tiggs, they'll always be bred until theres a ban put on it, down south way they fetch around 4k in most cases, and when a breeder is making a comfortable living from it they aint gonna stop even though they say its for the good of the breed
Old 03 September 2004, 02:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

mad idea....should ban them and cull them

but ppl only get 4k because of demand.....if joe bloggs concluded that a fat slobbering lump that cant run, dies if its 10 feet from water and pisses on the floor everyday was not a good pet....they wouldnt sell for 4k!

mad when you can get a rescue puppy for £50 from a breed that can run, live without water every 5 mins and hold its bladder!
Old 03 September 2004, 02:32 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

everything is more expensive down south, there are plenty of pups around so demand isnt too much of an issue. Breeders claim that they charge alot of money to make sure trogs from the local council estate dont buy them (although thats not always avoidable) and keep them away from the bad image from what the staffys and terriers have

Cant Jump... your having a girraffe. mine jumped for the first time ever last week from the floor to about 3 feet up onto the bay window cill couldnt believe it (he wont jump back down thou) doesnt die if its 10feet from water (although they cant swim so being 10feet from water is a good thing) lol

lol.. c ur point but the bully does have such a character that I dont see in half the dogs Ive met
Old 03 September 2004, 04:59 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

ALBOY..Bleach has ammonia in it so it will atract the dog to that place .

AS i have just posted on another thread why dont you register at www.champdogs.co.uk and see if they can help but i also think 4 1/2 months is too young to expect dry nights .

Mrs sticky
Old 03 September 2004, 05:48 PM
zesty
Scooby Regular

I dont know if this would be suitable for you but I have a dog flap installed next to my french doors so my 2 dogs can go in and out as they please. Its saved me getting up a few times in the night and it didnt take them long to learn how to use it.
I had a metal fabrication company make me a sliding cover for it so when I am out it is very secure.
I know its not a cure but it may be worthwhile fitting one.