Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Traffic Police M62

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 09:42 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Traffic Police M62

Took a trip up to Hull last night to collect some new wheels (cheers Phil) and on the way back in the dark there was hardly any cars. The M62 East has no lighting either so its impossible to tell cars behind you.

Was cruising at a solid 90mph using all lanes when necessary, but always pulling in to inside lane when possible. Had another car doing similar which started alarm bells ringing. Slowed down slightly and the car passed.......happened again down the road and I kept at 90 without slowing.

5 miles later, on come the lights and pulled me into the hard shoulder. I'm now crapping it, sudden thoughts of being tailed at nearly 100 got me trying to work out my punishment. Officer opens the passenger side and leans in across the seat for a 'word'....

Officer: Whats the speed limit on this road?'
Me: 70
Officer: What were you doing then?
Me: Erm, 90mph (decided not to lie as he was following me so no point!)
Officer: I did two checks on you over 1.9 miles and you averaged 87mph. That I can live with as your lane dicipline was good and always indicated and gave cars loads of room. However, its too fast in the dark and if something had come off a lorry, ie rope, chain, wood etc, then you'd have to swerve and 87mph is too fast to swerve. If you had been tailgating or driving aggresively I'd bokk you.
Me: I know, I apologise (now looking and feeling like a told off child)
Officer: This car may handle a swerve well and it is a nice car by the way, BUT you must watch the speed.
Me: I'm, sorry, I appreciate your warning, thank you very much.
Officer: Right, take it easy ,build your speed in the hard shoulder before you pull out......bye.
Me: Thanks again, bye.

Reason, I posted this is one to say that not all coppers are against performance car drivers as some threads seem to push towards and secondly just to spread my relief at not being fined and given points of which I, by law, deserved.

Cheers

Simon
Old 03 September 2004, 09:48 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Nice One
Old 03 September 2004, 09:49 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Hi m8
Posted something similar yesterday about a police officer warning instead of the automatic ticket. Wait for the holier than thou comments though
Alas
Old 03 September 2004, 09:59 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

sounds typical....i have been stopped lots by police over the years but never had a ticket except for when i was in my 220 coupe on the phone with fogs on!
drive like a ****...get a ticket.
Old 03 September 2004, 10:00 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Echoes every experience I've ever had with a traffic copper, and backs up what I've always said, if you're polite and accept that you're in the wrong. Traffic police are generally blessed with common sense, and will let you off, they're usually more interested in catching dangerous drivers than people driving quickly but safely.

I've lost count of the times I've been stopped, and quite frankly, I'd have thrown the book at me for some of the stuff I've been stopped for but I've never been 'done' by a copper, all my bonus points have come from dodgily* sited scameras

*hidden, on perfectly straight roads, which have had their former national limit lowered for no obvious reason
Old 03 September 2004, 12:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree with that, you were sensible and got very fair treatment in return.

Les