Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone flown Emirates or Thai airlines recently?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2004, 09:34 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I went to Thailand in June and flew with Etihad which I thought was the new united arab emirates airline?
Very good service although in flight entertainment was a bit pants as the films stopped after one showing meaning a lot of hours staring at a blank screen. However there were so few passengers we could all move about and sleep where we wanted. Would prefer to go with someone else if I had to again but the flights were so cheap it was rude not to.

Oh and most importantly, they did have a few extremely fit stewardesses.
Old 01 September 2004, 10:02 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)

I flew to Bankok with Thai Airways in January on my honeymoon. Very impressed with the service and best food I have had on any flight.

My flight was also not fully booked so I could lie across 3 seats but when sitting, there was plenty of leg room for my legs (I am 6'2")

Also flew Thai airways on several internal flights but being much smaller planes they are more cramped but not unbearable for 1hr internals (ooerr ) The food was also pants on these.

I have flown Garuda (sp??) to Bankok before as well. They were awfull, on the way out made an unscheduled stop in Italy! Adding an hour or so to the flight and on the way back, despite me asking for seats with legroom being a tall chap they put me right infront of the main TV screen where ther is NO legroom what so ever. No matter how much I complained they would not move me as the flight was fully booked so I stuck my legs out fully in the asile for 12 hours moving them very slowly for any stewards with their trolleys

Phil
Old 01 September 2004, 10:10 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Not done it myself, but colleagues who travel regularly use Thai Air. It's half the price of BA

Mind you, they fly Business Class so can't say what it's like back there with the chavs

Richard.

PS Remember "Man who go through turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok"

Last edited by Hoppy; 01 September 2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01 September 2004, 10:19 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention, I also had a few internal flights with Thai air and they were great..if your really into 70's style planes with vomit inducing interiors. The food was also foul. (but it seems this is only for internal flights)
Old 01 September 2004, 10:32 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Worth checking that Emirates is not a "dry" carrier i.e. no booze - I think it's ok..

I often travel with Korean Air - great first class called "devine wind" (oh that may also mean kamikazee ) but food was top notch, and you wave your first class ticket and the boarding staff physically kick the screaming hordes out of the way.. cracking
Old 01 September 2004, 10:44 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I flew with Emirates in May. Good airline. They DO serve alcohol & decent food in Economy class. TV/Games/Cockpit view screens in the back of each seat. Legroom was fine as well. Seen better looking trolley dollies though

Darren
Old 01 September 2004, 10:59 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I'm just back from Sydney and flew with Emirates.

Glasgow -> Dubai (7hrs)

Smaller Airbus and decent leg room in Economy (5' 11"). Seats were pretty basic, although more comfortable than the ones on the larger, newer plane (see below).

Inflight entertainment system was cr@p. Looked very outdated and you could only watch a few films at certain times.

Dubai -> Sydney (13hrs)

Seats were better quality, although I found them very uncomfortable. They put pressure on my hamstrings, giving me tired, aching legs. My knees also touched the seat in front and were pretty sore after 4-5hrs sitting down sleeping. Felt like there was less room on the larger plane.

The inflight entertainment system was excellent though. You could select any of the available films and watch them from the start at any time. Food was pretty good and they DO serve alcohol. All drinks are free on the long-haul flights

Flight attendants were very helpful and there was plenty of room to stroll around and stretch your legs. Would definetely fly with them again, although I'd think twice about the Glasgow journey unless they update the inflight system.

Stefan
Old 01 September 2004, 11:04 PM
tallsteve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Flew with Emirates to Dubai, Singapore and Sydney. No delays and as mentioned before they do serve booze and have decent food in Economy. I found the legroom a bit cramped (to say the least!) but then again I'm 6ft 6 so what did I expect... Should be fine if you're more of a "normal" height!

I go with them again.
Old 01 September 2004, 11:07 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Thai have direct flights and more space in economy (34" seat pitch) but as far as I'm aware haven't updated their fleet with personal video screens in economy. Service is usually excellent

Haven't flown Emirates but their most people say that their service, entertainment is excellent but their seats are very cramped. And you have to stopover.

Try this website http://www.westeasttravel.com/user/default.asp

EVA air are highly recommended by everyone who has flown them.

Also if you are booking for Spring now then I would wait a bit because most airlines won't have released specials for that period yet.
Old 01 September 2004, 11:26 PM
Little Miss WRX

My mum has flown to Australia with Emirates and hasn't used them since.
Old 01 September 2004, 11:31 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

The main reason I use Emirates is that they fly from Birmingham to Perth with just a fuel stop in Dubai.
Old 02 September 2004, 01:10 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

just come back from Thailand with Thai

Loads of room in econamy , great food , loads of free booze , only downside is that movies are on shared screens and the dont show them on overnight flights
Old 02 September 2004, 08:29 AM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

I can vouch for Little Miss WRX's mum we flew Manchester - Dubai. Dubai - Perth with Emirates last year and said we wouldn't do it again only reason was the company we had that were stopping in Dubai !!!!
Old 02 September 2004, 09:16 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Ive flown with Emirates to the Maldives and it was a good experience, especially when we got upgraded a class on the return leg

Free alcohol and food (for us anyway even in economy), tv screen in the backs of every chair, can see 'real time' shots of underneath the plane.

Having been upgraded on the first leg of the return journey, was disappointed when having to go back to economy.