Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TomTomGo. Bought one. Erm...Wow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2004, 08:45 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TomTomGo. Bought one. Erm...Wow!!!

This is good. Very good. Not only have I bought an expensive toy thats fun to use but OMG it's useful and practical to use as well. Result!
Bought it from http://www.expansys.com for about £425, Arrived the next day, as promised. Quality service.
Open the box and away you TomTomGo. Yep it's as simple as that. Whilst I was pawing through the instruction book, the missus had switched it on and was deciding which accent she wanted me to listen to the directions in. The French bird is so sexy...The quality of sound is more or less CD quality. You get a message about 250yards from a turning point and again when your more or less on top of it. I purposefully took a wrong turning and it instantly started a new map and series of voice directions. Impressive.
No problems with a signal through the windscreen. For that matter I even had it working in the house.
Oh yes I must mention the suction scoop. It sucks like a vacuum cleaner. No way is it going to fall of the windscreen. It holds the TomTom rigid. Nice.
The screen is fine as far as I'm concerned. There have been reports of it being too shiny/reflective but it was ok for me, I guess you just got to position it right but whatever, you'll always get a little reflection.
Unless you've got long nails (I haven't!) the touch screen will get smeared.
You do get a cleaning cloth but I'll be buying some throw away cloths soon.
There's also a night screen setting that offers, you guessed it, a night time view of the road ahead. Very cool.
I've also discovered that my tachs out by about 4mph (according to the screen readout anyway)
To conclude the simplicity of use, features offered (far too many to go into here) future *free* downloads offered, ie speed camera positions, and down right *funkyness* make this a great buy.
Go buy one.

Last edited by andrewdelvard; 30 August 2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 29 August 2004, 08:48 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Yeah they are very good. The Tom Tom software is excellent (use it on my Dell PDA with a Tom Tom gps receiver). The Go is so compact and it has a few updates on the route planning software that make it very useful. We were using one for a lot of our navigation around the German rally and it proved very useful. If I was buying a portable sat nav again this would be top of the list.
Old 29 August 2004, 08:52 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Good right up mate!

I'm using TTN3 with an HP Ipaq at present, and occasionally the whole system freezes and requires a re-boot. Feckin' annoying when you're nearing a junction at, ahem... 70 mph...

I'm assuming the Go version is immune to this 'glitch', as it's not using Bill's delightful PPC 2003? If it is genuinely more robust, I can feel an investment coming....
Old 29 August 2004, 09:03 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

To be honest Harry Boy the reason I bought the 'stand alone' unit (more expensive)and not an Ipaq and software (cheaper and more flexible) is because I didn't want any hassles that would delay me, or stop me using it on a daily basis. I literally want to get in the car, switch it on, tap in a postcode or address and house number and go.
I'm glad to say that so far I've been able to do just that.
It's actually better than I thought it would be. One of those 'technology today-wow' kind of feelings. So impressed.
Old 29 August 2004, 11:06 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Good right up mate!

I'm using TTN3 with an HP Ipaq at present, and occasionally the whole system freezes and requires a re-boot. Feckin' annoying when you're nearing a junction at, ahem... 70 mph...

I'm assuming the Go version is immune to this 'glitch', as it's not using Bill's delightful PPC 2003? If it is genuinely more robust, I can feel an investment coming....
Try doing a soft reset before using TT3 it has cured the freezing problem on my ipaq 2210.
Old 30 August 2004, 12:06 AM
THE M25 FLYER
Scooby Regular

I've been using my TT.go for about a month now mostly around kent and its been really useful and very simple to use.
The only probs i've had with so far (2000+ miles) have been,
1,when going down narrow lanes with overhanging trees i can loose the satalite signal.
2,on odd occasions the mapping will be incorrect (will tell me to go left when there is no left turn)
3,when working in the Redhill/Riegate area recently i kept loosig the satalite which became a pain (problem area ?)
4,some new roads or housing developments are not on the mapping.
One of its biggest strenghts for me is it will calculate a route,then list the route and tell me how many miles and how long to get there in a matter of seconds.
It has to be the best £430.00 i've spent in ages and its earning its keep in speeding up my visits in unfamiliar areas.
Old 30 August 2004, 01:53 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by sillysi
Try doing a soft reset before using TT3 it has cured the freezing problem on my ipaq 2210.
I know it works but it's a PITA each time you want to fire up TTN3

I usually go into the system memory and junk all the running programs before it will start - it tends to start in the background and then hang until it get's enough spare memory...

Mine's also an ipaq2210 and it can be dead slow to keep up with text entry etc. It's running on an 128Mb CF card - is it any quicker on a 256Mb as it's got more "breathing space" to play with?

Andy
Old 30 August 2004, 10:45 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by THE M25 FLYER
I've been using my TT.go for about a month now mostly around kent and its been really useful and very simple to use.
The only probs i've had with so far (2000+ miles) have been,
1,when going down narrow lanes with overhanging trees i can loose the satalite signal.
2,on odd occasions the mapping will be incorrect (will tell me to go left when there is no left turn)
3,when working in the Redhill/Riegate area recently i kept loosig the satalite which became a pain (problem area ?)
4,some new roads or housing developments are not on the mapping.
One of its biggest strenghts for me is it will calculate a route,then list the route and tell me how many miles and how long to get there in a matter of seconds.
It has to be the best £430.00 i've spent in ages and its earning its keep in speeding up my visits in unfamiliar areas.

If you've been running it for about 30 days I guess you must have version 4.21. If you haven't, go to the website for an update.

Andy
Old 30 August 2004, 11:46 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sillysi
Fair point mate - I do this from time to time.

But a soft reset automatically enables the keyboard serial port, so I have to go into Programs to disable this, before I can fire up TTN3.... PITA, as has been pointed out....

Go sounds like a better solution....
Old 30 August 2004, 11:50 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
It's running on an 128Mb CF card - is it any quicker on a 256Mb as it's got more "breathing space" to play with?

Andy
Andy - I'm now using a 512Mb SD card on mine, and it's no faster than the old 128Mb.... Just means I have more room for the European maps....
Old 30 August 2004, 12:07 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Does the TomTomGo have rechargable batteries? If not, how much do they cost?

Thanks,

Steve.
Old 30 August 2004, 12:16 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

Does the TomTomGo have rechargable batteries? If not, how much do they cost?

Thanks,

Steve.
Yeah, you can either recharge it via the household mains, using the recharger lead supplied, or run it off the ciggy lighter. I think the batteries last about 5 hours before they need to be recharged.
Old 30 August 2004, 12:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

It's the shape of things to come. We will all have these Sat Nav devices tracking our movements soon.

The difference is they will be used for road charging and speed control, not simple direction finding.

UB
Old 30 August 2004, 12:23 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
The difference is they will be used for road charging and speed control, not simple direction finding.
In Blair's world....
Old 30 August 2004, 12:42 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

You won't smirking when the man from the Department Of Transport arrives to fit one to your pride and joy. You're right though, it will be introducted in New Labour's next term in office. Andrew's device clearly demonstrates that the technology infrastructure for this is now in place.

UB
Old 30 August 2004, 12:43 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LOOK OUT!!!

You're about to take that lefthander and you've drifted over and are about to have a head on with that Focus !!
Old 30 August 2004, 12:44 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Do you pay a monthly subscription ?? with the TT.Go ?
Old 30 August 2004, 01:13 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Looks good, the website doesnt mention the speed camera warning function, is that something they plan to incorporate into it? or does it warn of "black spots" already?

Would be very interested if it incorporated that as well, but would be a bit nervous of buying one if its only promised for the future, as may never happen.
Old 30 August 2004, 01:17 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

totally crap in Northern Ireland and tom tom and expansys dont seem to care. i have emailed tomtom and no replies are forth coming.
Old 30 August 2004, 01:17 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Do you pay a monthly subscription ?? with the TT.Go ?
nope
Old 30 August 2004, 03:40 PM
sti joy
Scooby Regular

Looking to get sat nav for a while now, does anyone know if this one will interact badly with my snooper gps?
Old 30 August 2004, 04:33 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Go buy one.
Well Andrew. It's all your fault.... I just have....

And you're right. It's very good....

Certainly a lot more reliable, easy to read and accurate than my Ipaq with TTN3.
Old 30 August 2004, 05:18 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Currently transferring all the maps onto a 512Mb SD card.....
Old 30 August 2004, 06:02 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by THE M25 FLYER
1. TT Go also has two built-in horizontal plane sensors to detect movement. When enabled and you lose the satellite signal, TT Go will use the hardware sensors to detect your speed and direction of travel.

2. I guess just an out-of-date map. I occassionaly get this on my TT3 maps. The biggest ommission is the M6 Toll Road

Chris
Old 30 August 2004, 06:21 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Wink

Certainly a lot more reliable, easy to read and accurate than my Ipaq with TTN3.
Flash git

Demo on Thursday?

Andy
Old 30 August 2004, 07:10 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

LoL! Nice little treat on a Bank Holiday Monday hey? Have fun

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Looks good, the website doesnt mention the speed camera warning function, is that something they plan to incorporate into it? or does it warn of "black spots" already?

Would be very interested if it incorporated that as well, but would be a bit nervous of buying one if its only promised for the future, as may never happen.
Hi Sideshow!
After I purchased it the operator at expansy.com just happened to mention it as something promised for September. Don't know anymore than that, but if it comes it'll be a hell of a bonus.
(You still driving the Cup?)
Old 30 August 2004, 08:15 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
Flash git

Demo on Thursday?

Andy
Yes! And, err... Yes....

And, if you're really unlucky, I might wear the new watch.
Old 30 August 2004, 08:38 PM
Barrister_was
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Hi there,

This is my first post…so hi all!!! J

i was thinking of investing in a tt3...but not to sure now...can i transfer the tomtom go into my other vehicles without to much headache?

Thanks for the help!

Raja was
Old 30 August 2004, 09:06 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barrister_was
can i transfer the tomtom go into my other vehicles without to much headache
Yup - just unplug and go....
Old 31 August 2004, 07:19 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

A few problems with mine,
1, theres a design fault on the bracket that means it pulls the insert out on one of the *****. Do you need any info on this? It only needs a small washer to prevent it happening. Happened to a m8's as well!
2. you cant put in post codes.
3. some areas are not mapped for addresses, like in Central Wales, I wanted to go to an area just to the North of Dolgellau, Ganllwyd, or Bronaber and it insisted on taking me to Anglesey every time.
4. Gets confused sometimes on the M25.
5. still waiting for the case after two months.
6. only low level mapping in Europe.
7. fuse keeps blowing.

Apart from that it fine. Probably the best portable sat nav there is.
STEVE.....................

Last edited by r32; 31 August 2004 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: TomTomGo. Bought one. Erm...Wow!!!